Initial thoughts from an off roader on the x300ABS - Kawasaki Versys Forum
2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 Reviews Write a review of your new 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 and share your thoughts with other community members. Be sure to let us know what you love and what changes you would make.

5Likes
  • 5 Post By Scott Zinda

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Initial thoughts from an off roader on the x300ABS

Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS. Initial thoughts. On and off road. I have owned and raced dirt bikes off and on my whole life. I raced D37 on a CRF450R and rode 1400 miles in Baja on an XR650. I owned a 2005 Suzuki SV650 which was great, I just was not ready for street. I feel safer on dirt. I am getting used to the street.

The Versys-X is nicer on the street than every real dual sport I have ridden, yet not as refined as the larger displacement bikes I have ridden. It does feel very comfortable overall. The seat is too hard though. Off road I have been extremely impressed. I actually am thinking I don’t need to mess with making an ABS off switch now. I will have to see after more rides. The engine braking is so good down hill, I hardly used the brakes, but when it was steep enough to need them, the ABS actually kept the bike upright nicely. I also didn’t need the clutch. I took my hand off the clutch the whole way down a fairly decent descent and even when coming to a stop with brakes the bike never stalled.

Stopping for a sudden obstacle the ABS will not let you stop and drag like a dirt bike, but the bike stops very quickly with both brakes applied. The stock tires are very good off road. The transition to sand is unnerving at first but once I got used to surfing it, it was fine.

I wont win any races with it, but I am confident I can go almost anywhere I need to go without fear of dropping it in technical terrain. I am sure I will fall eventually but I can touch the ground firmly with both feet and the bike has a super low center of gravity, so when I do fall it will be from me doing a stupid human trick.
Climbing off road the bike is a tractor too. If you’re not in a hurry and get used to high revs 1st gear motored up a medium hill with a smooth delivery that require no clutch. 2nd gear was good but had me going fast enough I was worried about the low pipes on rough terrain. When I install my skid plate I will be fine climbing in 2nd or 3rd although more clutch will be needed. Suspension on small whoops was amazing. No bottoming out and I am 215lbs. I need to diet. Also no weird pogos on jumps.

This is not a dual sport, but its what I wanted, something in the middle between light dual sports, and fat ADVs. My gut tells me I will have it a long time. I will probably eventually get a real dual sport and real road bike again, but for now, I plan to make this Versys-x maximize its versatility.

Oh and the seat is my only real complaint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3068.jpg (89.8 KB, 50 views)

Scott

I feel safer on a motocross track than a freeway, but I am working on it.

Last edited by Scott Zinda; 10-05-2018 at 01:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Russell can take care of that seat!

2017 Versys X300 Russell Sport, Madstad windshield, Moto Werk 1" lowering kit

2008 Honda Goldwing Airbag, Madstad windshield, Helibars.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Check out https://www.terryscustomseats.com/.

He made my flat seat for the Versys 650 which allowed several riding positions depending on what I was doing.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
climbing, hills, off road, versys-x

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode