My first real ride on my 300X - Kawasaki Versys Forum
2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 Reviews Write a review of your new 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 and share your thoughts with other community members. Be sure to let us know what you love and what changes you would make.

6Likes
  • 5 Post By chucksklrst
  • 1 Post By asaulo1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
My first real ride on my 300X

Today I had the first chance to take out the new Little Gray Bike (Versys 300X Kawasaki)and really put it thru the paces for which I bought it. My main reason was to have a bike large enough to ride 30 miles across Denver and then small enough to hit the many forest service and dirt roads that crisscross the Front Range Foothills. Of course before I bought this bike I read and watched all the info that was on the internet, and every one knows the internet does not lie. But I need to find out if that was all true. In a word, YES.

Headed across town around 7am, right in the middle of morning rush hours. Lots of cars and stop and go. The little bike handled it very well. Fast enough to pick and scoot into the holes that sleepy drivers left open. Quick enough to keep up with faster traffic, and light enough to come to quick stops as needed. This little Versys would make for a great commuter, however I would recommend the ABS model for the morning commute. My bike is a Non ABS as I don't plan on riding in rush hour often, I am retired and don't need to Ride To Work anymore. Besides I bought it to ride the dirt forest service roads. After about 30 mins of stop , go , stop and go again we broke out on the west side of Denver with four lane highway. Speed limit was 65 but everyone is moving at 75 or so. Is this little 300cc machine going to keep up? Yes it will, engine is turning at 9000 rpm in 6th gear at 75 mph. Motor is very smooth and there is no tingling in the hand grips. The speed did not seem to bother the little bike. Smooth, planted and vibration free. The little Versys passed my traffic and Freeway test just fine. With that said, I don't think I would run freeway all day long on this bike, That is what my FJR is for. It most likely can do it, but why?

Stopped for gas at the base of the foot hills and but 2.3 gal. in the bike. First time I fueled it up as the dealer gave me almost a full tank. I had put 127 miles on it so far. Now I will be able to get an accurate mpg reading. As a side note: the first of six fuel gage segments dropped off at 90 miles today. Tank is suppose to hold 4.5 gals. Need a few more days before I fill it up again. Headed up the hill to Rampart Range Road (67) Nice tight twisties. Bike handled great, going up as fast as I dared, was in 4th gear most of the way. No issues with power. Just remembering to keep the revs up in the power band, which seems to be 7k rpm +. On over the hill and down the other side with lots more twists and turns leveling out at Sprucewood. Here I make the turn onto 3 miles of dirt road, Night Hawk Canyon with a 15% grade for about a mile. First gear all the way down this dirt canyon. First gear is very low almost too low of a gear. This road drops down to the South Platte River and then runs parallel to the river. If one takes a left turn it is 10 miles to Deckers all paved twisties. A right turn will follow down stream along the river on a dirt road. Coming out on pavement at Foxton Road. Both ways are a lot of fun. I decided to take the right on the dirt road, to Foxton Road. The little bike handled the dirt road just fine. Of course it has some nice little sweeper turn, but nothing technical. This road use to be a rail bed back in the late 1800 to early 1900s. Hit the pavement and then up the hill on Foxton Road with again a lot of tight twisties. The little Versys was in it's Element. Lots of smiles and miles. I could go on and one about the route that I rode this morning but those who are not familiar with it would just get bored, so I'll just post the pictures.

As far as the bike is concerned it is everything the media has said it is to include the hard ass seat. After 5 hours and 150 miles of riding my butt did get a bit uncomfortable, and I like a hard seat. Will be looking for inexpensive solution to the seat issue. Windshield did a great job of deflecting the wind off my chest but put it right in my face. No problem if you ride with a closed visor. I like to ride with an open visor. Was not a problem until the speed got up above 35mph or so. All in all I am going to really like this little machine for my daily foot hill / local city ride arounds. As soon as the tires wear out I will fit a bit more aggressive adventure touring tire. ie. Shinkos 705s? That is what I am running on my Wee Strom 650 right now. This bike is a keeper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_1955 (3).jpg (79.3 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1957 (2).jpg (79.7 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1960 (2).jpg (88.8 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1964 (2).jpg (94.8 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1966 (2).jpg (78.7 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1973 (2).jpg (82.9 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1975 (2).jpg (68.0 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1977 (2).jpg (74.1 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1978 (2).jpg (76.7 KB, 204 views)

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)

Last edited by chucksklrst; 08-09-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017, 04:11 PM

Good to hear you're enjoying the bike. I also find the Vx300 fits the bill for a great all arounder and I am really getting into this whole adventure riding thing. Make no mistake, I'm not looking at anything even semi technical but just local fire roads and trails. The Vx300 shines in these conditions... here's a video I made of a new traill I discovered recently. Can't wait to ride it all the way through. I was alone when I first tackled it so i didn't really want to push it.... Cheers!
CA200 likes this.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:41 PM

Garage
Wow a couple of great reports , The pictures and video are super !! We do not have dirt roads
here but there are some in the north.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in