Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Ignition Key & Light Problem

3K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  silviefox 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I wonder do you have a smilar problem too.

I am inserting the key in the ignition and turning it to "on". Sometimes city light and tail light don't turn on. In such situations turning off and back on or just gently turning the key to the off side lights those lights. Problem seems to be about the ignition key but I don't know what to do. I apply contact cleaner (not the one with lube) when the frequency of the failure increases. It decreases the frequency but doesn't solve the problem completely.

And any advice?

#2 · (Edited)
With ignition locks you can have a mechanical problem (key is stiff to turn) or an electrical problem. Based on what you say it sounds like an electrical problem, If the contact cleaner isn't doing the job you could try a LITTLE WD-40 or equivalent. Don't over do it a brief burst is plenty. If that doesn't work you may have to remove the ignition switch and take it to a locksmith. I have had to do that to my son's KLX250.
If the key is stiff you need to put some powdered graphite into the lock. Do not use WD-40 in this case. Same thing with fuel tank locks, powdered graphite not WD-40.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.