Kawasaki Versys Forum - View Single Post - Visiting Gettysburg
View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 08:15 AM
Arion

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishman View Post
Great, great info Arion and Ray. I will refer to your pointers for sure as I plan this out. I believe I will rent a car and drive in from Baltimore and spend 2 or 3 days at Gettysburg. Instead of a bus tour, the self-guided tour I think is up my alley, since I'll have a car. I toured Yorktown 4 years ago and they had a CD that you buy for the tour and it is timed as you play it along the drive. I wonder if Gettysburg has that same sort of thing. I will definitely consider the Harpers Ferry and the Antietam battlefield too.
You should enjoy of those as well. Harper's Ferry is interesting - the entire village is within a National Park. You park at the visitors center and ride a bus down into the village. It's a fascinating place to wander around and the story tellers are knowledgeable and entertaining (or were when I was last there). Antietam is, like Gettysburg, best experienced by car with a lot of stopping and wandering around. It's a sprawling battlefield and can take the better part of a day to explore thoroughly. We must have taken a zillion photos and still didn't take enough to be able to remember everything we had seen - even though it was raining lightly. Step inside the Dunker Church and climb the tower near the Bloody Lane for a grand view of most of the battlefield. Oh, and notice how many cannon barrels have been placed into the ground, muzzle first. They designate the death of a general officer, and there are more than a few. Next to Gettysburg, Sharpsburg (Antietam) was probably the most horrendous battle of the Civil War. It's difficult to imagine the carnage.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 03-07-2016 at 11:10 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome