Fair price and reasonable APR? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Kawasaki Versys-X 300 Dealers, Orders And Pricing Forum for threads about purchasing a new 2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300. Discuss pricing, dealer feedback, latest incentives, and ordering information.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fair price and reasonable APR?

Question 1)
I'm gonna assume we're all aware of the long-standing tools for finding out a fair price when buying a car (Kelly Blue Book, NADA, Intellichoice, TrueCar). As a newcomer to the motorcycle world I'm having a lot of trouble doing the same. KBB doesn't have the 2018 VX300 and at this point they're considering 2017 models to all be used. NADA did have "new 2017" pricing (see screenshot) but it seemed way too good to be true. Even if $5700 is MSRP, a $900 difference to reach average retail seems like it would eat up the entire profit margin.

Question 2)
A lot of my co-workers ride. When asked about a reasonable loan APR for somebody with good credit, some have said I shouldn't expect any higher than for a car loan, while others have said motorcycle loans are always much higher since financially they're seen as luxury purchase (similar to an RV). Frustratingly, all of them either buy bikes outright, or paid off their bike loans years ago and couldn't remember what their APR was.

Anybody here who financed care to chip in on what APR they got for X years with Y-ish credit history? I really can't begin to imagine what constitutes a good numbers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2017-11-09-18-24-03_1510378516539.jpg (8.1 KB, 38 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
What bikes sell for varies according to your location. They tend to sell for more on the west coast than in middle America.

You also have to look at the manufacturer's website to see if they are offering any incentives to move bikes.

You also have to look at the Out The Door (OTD) price from the dealers you are shopping. Some dealers add Doc fees, Assembly fees, etc. to the cost of the bike while others don't and the fees can vary greatly. One shop near me would charge $1200 over MSRP and it didn't matter if you were buying a $4000 motorcycle or a $20,000 motorcycle. I never bought a bike from them.

I have gone over 500 miles to get a bike because no one locally could touch the deal.

I can't help you on APR but the Manufacturer's website can, and calling the bank you deal with can.

Until recent years I mostly bought used bikes to avoid any extra fees and because Japanese bikes depreciate like crazy. Bikes today last 100,000 miles easily so a used one with 10,000 miles on it can be a bargain.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 11:20 AM

Garage
Apr

I have a good rate on my car and even better on my bike. Main difference is car was used and bike was new when purchased.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

I forgot to consider incentives. Kawasaki's taking $500 off of 2017 models and i could imagine negotiating the remaining $400. Thanks for mentioning the website; i see they'll go all the way down to 0% APR for the first year for good credit.

I live in Norfolk and considering the numbers of riders and dealerships here i was pretty surprised how far apart some local prices were. I looked up the fees you mentioned and the DOC fee (set in stone and varies by dealership) combined with advertising vs not advertising out the door pricing would help explain differences.

Thanks to both of you for the input regarding APR. Good thing working 2nd shift allows me to hit up the various banks without taking time off of work or coming in during the weekends.

Does kawasaki tend to do winter incentives as well, or just fall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode