Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Top box size, what is too big?

18K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  AlaskaJeff 
#1 ·
I've got a chance to pick up a nice Pelican Case for cheap. Only problem is it MIGHT be too big. It's 27 X 27 X 15. I would only have it installed for long trips.

Robot Check

Opinions? BTW it's only $100 hardly used.

See less See more
#4 ·
I've come to the conclusion that monster IS TOO BIG for a top case, on my bike anyway! After some extensive research, I did however find a more manageable size on Amazon Warehouse Deals. It is the Storm iM2600 by Pelican. Exterior Dimensions of 21.2 x 16 x 8.3" I think that is around 35 liters?

#5 ·
Good call. 27x27x15 is enormous! I went to the basement to measure my old army foot locker, something that I would consider way too huge to use as a top case, and it measures at 23W x 20D x 12H. That Pelican case would be better suited on the roof rack of an SUV.

#7 ·
#13 ·
#14 · (Edited)
What is needed to go along with the top box is some meaty saddlebags,

an 18" high tank bag (if you can see over it, how freakin' convenient is that?),

the huge top box,

and if that is not enough storage, you can retrofit some large medium saddlebags hanging off of each side of your forks, to also help balance the load out.

You would then slide onto the seat like a slice of meat in a luggage sandwich Vs. 650: no rear-seat-bag storage capacity required.

#17 ·
Twisted Throttle have a mounting frame for attaching to a number of top racks but I cant remember the details. You have to drill into the case but they provide weather proof sealing. Send them an email.

They used to sell a Pelican case based system but discontinued but still have a few of the frames.

#19 ·
I got the Givi Trekker Outback 58L which I thought was completely massive when I first got it, but after riding with it a few times, I don't even notice it any more.

One thing I did notice though is that since it extends so far back, it does do a pretty good job of covering up the tail light, so I'm working on adding some running/turn/brake lights onto the top case as well.

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
Check GIVI's 55 liter max weight capacity out (22 lbs.), and check YOUR specific trunk model capacity out (for your bike.) Failure to do so could result in a bent frame harming your safety and pocket book.

Monokey Cases : 55 LITER TOP CASE - MAXIA III

Most rear racks when OEM's made them were for 5 kg or 11 lbs. Multiply this times 3 (300% x max stated-limit for safety engineering) equals 33 lbs MAX. GIVI's 55 l bag weighs 11 lbs and has a 22 lb capacity = 33 lbs! If physics, weights, and gravity has not changed, it looks like manufacturers have eliminated all of the OEM safety allowances (for vibrations, dynamic forces, unbalanced weights, ...) And GIVI is maybe one of the best, so their 22 lbs limit MEANS 22 lbs and no more (it's big to carry 2 full coverage helmets, and it's not to be loaded full of groceries!) ymmv
:|

#24 ·
All very accurate information, this is also in the spec's of the 2015 ABS LT--I was surprised to read the weight limit, just recently had a view of the rear shot of the LT, surprisingly tight to the frame, which is exactly were you want it, just like Kawdog stated.

BTW :thanx::right:

#21 ·
Good responses on the rear case sizing issue. Feeback from those who have a 43-46 & up Givi rear case & its effect / affect on visibility of your brake light? I know there is a lighting kit for the top case for additional brake light visibility from the case. Who has it? Who thinks they need it!?I have full Givi V35 sides with the V46 top on my 08 Versys. Thinking of getting the additional lighting kit..

#23 ·
I have the Admore Light Kit for my Givi E-55 Top Case. I also have an Admore Light Bar. I like them both but if i had to choose 1 i would go with the Light Bar.

IMG_0463 by weljo2001, on Flickr

#37 · (Edited)
Finished product: I ended up getting a Pelican 2600 storm case.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.