Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

EZ Pass...problems

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  hsfarber 
#1 ·
Hi all -

I am having a tough time getting my EZpass to read going through tolls - I actually have it mounted to the MadStad bracket in the lower center of the screen...not reading. I had it on the left handlebar, and an occasional read...

The good news is the auto camera's have yet to catch me but will in time... Does anyone have a mod or suggestions?

Going on my fall tour soon and want to get this out of the way!

Tnx

#6 ·
Ha! No it is a device used to pass through toll roads - no battery that I know of - but now that you mention it - it must have a watch battery or something...I've had it for years - that would be funny - a dead EZPASS - Bones suggested left pocket - sometimes the easiest solutions are the best.

#3 ·
I have the black bar ez pass, the one used on the front plate of cars, zip tied to the wind screen brackets.

Never had an issue.

#4 ·
I tried the tank bag, the windshield and it never worked reliably.

I leave it in the left breast pocket of my riding jacket now, reading surface facing out. Works every time.

#5 ·
I have it mounted on my windscreen, in the same direction as if it were a car windshield. It s mounted with the supplied Velcro. I also have my bike registered with ezpass so if it does not read the will take a pic of my plate and charge the account rather than send a ticket.

It has read every time but once. Better than I can say for my truck....The one time it did not read was at a toll with a arm that raises. The guy told me to give it to him and he would scan it. However I have Speedys GPS mount, which means I need to remove my windshield to get at the Ezpass. He argued with me about it, but finally gave in because the paper work says it must be mounted, not that I have to be able to hand it to the guy.

#7 ·
EZ pass works just like RFID. Basically radio waves are broadcast at the toll both and energizes the transponder in your car. It then broadcasts back your EZ pass account number so it knows who to bill. If you have your pet "chipped" it's basically the same thing but on a larger scale. So no batteries are required.

I have my EZ pass mounted on the headlight side of speedy's gps mount and I've had no issues so far.

#8 ·
If the toll doesn't have one of those arms to block me, I just ride through and don't check if it registered or not. I've only gotten a letter in the mail once, and that was when I went through the express lane and the ezpass in my pocket didn't register.

#10 ·
brothercannon said:
EZ pass works just like RFID. Basically radio waves are broadcast at the toll both and energizes the transponder in your car. It then broadcasts back your EZ pass account number so it knows who to bill. If you have your pet "chipped" it's basically the same thing but on a larger scale. So no batteries are required.
The EZPass transponders in Maryland, Delaware, Pennsyslvania, New Jersey, and Maine, and the FastLane transponders in Massachusetts all have lithium batteries soldered to circuit their boards, and aren't consider replaceable by typical consumers. The batteries were supposed to last for 7 yo 10 years, but some have failed in as little a 3 years.

The EZPass transponders, at least in the states listed above, are not RFID. With RFID the energy to broadcast your code, is supplied by the RFID reader.

#11 ·
go slower!

I noticed that if I went through a toll both slowly it worked. If I went fast..no go!
I tried to get the black one that mounts on car bumpers but was told that they do not give them out for bikes. My friend had one but I could not get one for myself.

#14 ·
CSA714 -- The problem that started this thread (ez-pass mounted on Mad-Stad failing to read) may be simple. If you simply use the strips on the back of the ez-pass on the Mad-Stad, it will be facing the wrong way. In a cage, those strips mount to the windshield and face front. On the madstad, they are facing backwards. I added strips to the side of the ez-pass that has the raised label (facing backwards in a cage), and I attach that side to the Mad-Stad. Then the ez-pass is facing the same way as on a cage windshield. I have had no problems whatsoever. -- Hank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.