Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Versys 650 Sport Riding?

7K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  E327 
#1 ·
How would you consider your Versys for a Saturday morning sport ride thru the canyons? Is it a fun bike for that type of riding? Not saying that's all that it would be used for, just wondering how it fills that segment. Thanks.

#6 · (Edited)
It's a fun bike - to be sure..... Mine has been on the Tail of the Dragon, Back of The Dragon, Snake, Devil's Triangle..... well you get the idea.

Still, you would need to further define "sport ride", or maybe to compare to some other bike.

Is it fun to ride? Yes
Is it fun to ride in the twisties? Yes
Compared to what?
This one is a BLAST to ride.

We have several motorcycles. Given the chance, I ride my Versys.

It makes me happy.

#7 ·
Yes, but then again isn't any bike a blast to ride in it's own environment!
The Versys is quick handling, light, nimble & in the right hands could keep up with almost anything in the twisties, it's just that when you come to a straight most 750-1000cc sports bikes will pull away from you.
I was actually thinking about this 2 days ago when l was riding the local back roads & came to the conclusion that I couldn't get around the bends any quicker on anything bigger because I have my limitations at the ripe old age of 63!!!!:|

#8 ·
?... it's just that when you come to a straight most 750-1000cc sports bikes will pull away from you.
I was actually thinking about this 2 days ago when l was riding the local back roads & came to the conclusion that I couldn't get around the bends any quicker on anything bigger!:|
Agree. Laws of physics and all, with regard to how fast you can take a corner.
But, as also said, the Versys lacks the power to keep up. Solo riding is a pure pleasure. I ride with friends who own bigger bikes however (I've owned many too), and it gets old. I will take a lot of flack for saying it but, the bike is weak (which I understand is not its purpose, so don't berate me on that point). It sucks when your buddies roll on the throttle coming out of a turn and are quickly doing triple digit speeds, while I pin the throttle and watch them disappear through the next set of curves. My Versys is for sale due to this. It is a spectacular bike but, I didn't realize how much I would miss the power when I bought it. (and yes, I knew the numbers at the time of purchase, I just thought it wouldn't be as big a deal as it is). I'm going back to something with more hp/tq.

#10 ·
Heres a video going up Angeles Crest HWY with the guy that bought my Versys. I'm on an FJR and the rider in front of him is on a FJR also. As you can see the Versys likes the twisty stuf.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpPKwAaBCM0

#11 ·
Don't want a Gixxer. I'm too old to contort myself onto a crotch rocket. There are plenty of bikes with 30+ more hp and 20+ more ft/lbs of torque. I don't need 150hp.
Shiver, FZ09, GSX-S750, Z1000, FZ1, ZRX, CB1000R....the list goes on.
People always seem to miss the part of my posts where I praise the Versys. It is NOT a bad bike. It is a great bike.
If I tell you that your girlfriend has a gorgeous face, beautiful tits, a sweet ass, and a great personality, but for my tastes would be perfect if her legs were just a little bit longer, you somehow think I am calling her ugly.

#12 ·
I ride with a group of sports bike riders. The Versys will do all that I can put it through. I also didn't want a crouchrocket type of bike. The Versys is a great bike for me. I've taken it on a 3000 mile ride out West, it was fine. I have had my eye on the Yamaha FJ 09 since it came out. Do I need twice the horsepower and still about the same top speed? I believe that I could get myself into trouble. For me right now, I believe that the Versys is the right bike.

#16 · (Edited)
Depending on your skills, with good tires, the Versys 650 will take anything you can throw at it in the canyons. You won't have any bragging rights horsepower wise, but you'll be able to keep up with those that do.

Go to YouTube and look up "Kawasaki Versys 650 vs everything else @ Cadwell Park".
You'll see a former member of this site destroy liter bikes on a racetrack. The only mods to his bike were sticky tires he bought off eBay.
Brakes, suspension, all stock.

#18 ·
I think it is GREAT! For me - the BEST handling bike I've ridden (mine has an R1 shock, proper 'sag', and ATF in the forks)!

It sucks when your buddies roll on the throttle coming out of a turn and are quickly doing triple digit speeds, while I pin the throttle and watch them disappear through the next set of curves....
Rick - MOST places I ride, "triple digit speeds" will get you into jail IF (WHEN???) you get caught, and PROBABLY banned from driving for a 'spell'. I went from a Bandit 1200S to the V for precisely THAT reason, BEFORE I got caught....

:goodluck:

#19 ·
In all honesty, probably much better than the other bikes you have listed in your signature but probably not as good as a 600cc sport bike. The Versys comes out better in the comparison though if you consider all round versatility, riding comfort and cost. Every bike has it's trade offs.

#20 ·
It is a fun bike in the canyons. I think you will find, though, that it will do better the tighter roads are. As they loosen up and speed gets quicker, it is noticeably down on power to other bikes.

Not sure what pace your groups rides. Rode one for a week in Montana with my buddy. Fine in the very tights. He was disappearing on me at higher speeds.

#30 ·
We have some VERY tight hairpins on roads around Kelowna. When I get to some of them, I find standing on the foot-pegs gets me around quicker (and safer?).

I'm probably concerned about getting REALLY banked and hitting some sand or gravel, then low-siding like I did a few years back here in AZ, coming down AZ 399 from Mt Graham....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.