Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

How to install Evotech Radiator Grille Cover

18K views 46 replies 27 participants last post by  DiscoBlakeo 
#1 · (Edited)
*** UPDATE: The 2011 model radiator is different from the 2010 and previous model years. *** Evotech has been made aware and some extra parts will be shipping in all new shipments from the factory (spacers and screws). Before you order one from Ebay or Evotech, might drop them a line to be sure the additional hardware is in the pack. You can read about the 2011 install here. See bottom of this post for a photo of the 2011 spacers.

I just installed the Evotech Radiator Grille Cover. Man it was easy! I think this is a great protective cover. Extremely strong, flawless powder coating, and did I mention easy to install? 10 to 15 minute job..Tops. This thread shows how I installed on the 2010 V. I dont know if covers need to be removed for other year models.

1st, purchase an Evotech Radiator Grille Cover. They come in two colors (black & silver). I bought mine off of Ebay from mcmotorcycleparts a Top Rated Seller. They ship from Florida and have a 100% feedback. I had to keep watching Ebay and after about a week, 2 popped up and I bought mine. You can buy them straight from Evotechs website in the UK, but I chose to wait for a USA supplier.

Tools Required.
10mm wrench
8mm wrench
4mm Hex Socket & Driver
Blue Loctite

1. Remove top bolt (This is the hardest to reach & it aint as hard as it looks - even though it is put in from the back side). No covers needed to be removed on my 2010, just go from the left side and the bolt can be reached with the 10mm open end wrench.

2. Remove the bottom 2 bolts with the 8mm wrench. The bottom support plate will come off and will not go back on. This plate is replaced with the cover (it has the same support plate built in). Even with all three mounting bolts removed, the radiator will not move so no support needed.

3. Remove clip nut from TOP MOUNT LOCATION ONLY and reverse it and clip it from the top onto the frame behind the radiator instead. Nut is now on the back instead of front. Leave bottom clip nuts in place as is.

Before Remove & Flip:

After Remove & Flip:

4. Here is the hardware that came with the cover. You will use three of the four long screws, all four washers, and the short screw & lock nut as shown.

5. Viewing from the front of the cover, the upper left mounting hole is only used on the Kawasaki ER-6N. Since it is not used on the Versys, use the short screw, washer, then through the unused mounting hole on cover, then lock nut on the back. (blue loctite the screw before spinning down the nut). Below is the dummy bolt before installing cover.

6. Make sure you didn't skip step 3 (reverse the clip nut) and hand start the grille cover in place using the 3 longs screws and washers. Washers go on the screw before going through the cover. Once you are sure all the holes align with the 3 screws, bring the screws back out one at a time and apply blue loctite. Run the 3 bolts back in hand tight and after all three are started, use 4mm hex socket and driver and snug them down. Thats it! Your Done!!

7. If your like me, I keep everything. Get a Ziplock bag, and store the little bracket you removed from the bottom and the three screws and the instruction sheet.

Good luck with your install.

Cheers!

Thanks to TwoWheelAddict for supplying the details and photo of the 2011 spacers and longer screws shown on the photo below.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I just put the same one on mine. Initially I couldn’t justify the cost & figured I’d just make one... easy enough... I’ll get around to it... when I get some time... maybe tomorrow... maybe next week...

Then I read where a guy in here had his radiator punctured by a stone and a replacement was over $500!?! I ordered the Eveotech the next day!

Very nice unit. Strong, perfect fit, very nice finish and IMO the holes/grid sizing is an excellent compromise between protection and airflow.

#10 ·
What US supplier did you get the EVOTECH guard from?

#13 ·
Just installed mine this weeked. Found on ebay, same as capn kirk. As adverstised, very nice quality and simple to install. One issue I have is the one mounting tab not being used. Instructions say to use the extra hardware to cap off the blank, but why put a bolt in there when it's only for asthetics?

I'm trying to decide whether to just grind off the extra tab or try to come up with some additional bracket to make the tab functional. There is some play in that corner not being attached to anything. Could be an additional source for vibrations.

#18 · (Edited)
... One issue I have is the one mounting tab not being used. ...

I'm trying to decide whether to just grind off the extra tab or try to come up with some additional bracket to make the tab functional. There is some play in that corner not being attached to anything. Could be an additional source for vibrations.
You could just use a fender washer (large outside diameter) on the backside that would `lip' over the top of the radiator. I'd use a plastic one against the radiator though...

#20 ·
Capn Kirk,
Thank you for this topic.:thanx:
After buying this guard I read the instructions that came with it and did not really understand it.
English is not my native language and technical reading is some what difficult.
So finding your post with all the pictures was a blessing for me.
I just did the installation and it worked like a breeze.:thumb:

#24 · (Edited)
Same here, Capn. Spent a bit puzzling over the instructions, did a search here and found this thread. 10 minutes later, the cover was on, no muss, no fuss. Thanks, and thanks to all those who take the time to get pictures and clearly explain. Saves no end of trouble!
:thanx:

#29 ·
No more Evotechs, but there is another one listed. Not sure I like the "Versys" lettering in the grill, but it's not awful.

Thoughts?
I personally dislike the "Versys" in the grill look.

Evotechs pop up every few weeks on Ebay.

My thoughts since you asked is to be patient and wait for one. Dont settle for less than you want. You can also order direct from UK for similar price.

I will post if I see another pop up!

#35 ·
I got one, and only one left!

#37 ·
Not any longer! One of them is headed toward San Antonio to find a home on my Versys. Bwa-ha-ha-ha! Oh, I love upcoming birthdays and a free hand to click the "Buy Now" icon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.