Tailgun's Streetfighter - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Modifications - Cosmetic

Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

Old 04-06-2010, 04:34 PM

Default Tailgun's Streetfighter

Alright, I think my versys is now sufficiently different enough to warrant a new thread.

(*Current Pic*)

I started out with a stock 08 Versys 650 because I liked the performance, handling, ride height, and riding position (at first). I did not however like the look. I wanted something naked, something with attitude.

So I started by getting rid of excess plastic. I bobbed the rear fender, chopped up the front cowling, removed the radiator cowls, removed the belly pan, relocated the coolant tank, relocated the front blinkers, and fabbed up some covers to close off the openings in the chopped tank fairings. It just kept going from there, but I'll let the pictures speak fro themselves.

I love this bike and I want to say I'm done, but I know it would be a lie. Let me know what you think, and if you have any ideas.

And no I'm not going to chop down the seat. My wife loves riding with me too much, and shes definitely the best looking accessory I can think of.

Here's how the project has progressed.

Stock versys.

And heres mine avter the attack of the rotozip.

*UPDATE*
Many hours later it has a new headlight better coolant tank and more.

*UPDATE*
A little paint goes a long way.

*UPDATE*
A scuffle with some pavement helped me realize I didnt need that plastic afterall.

*UPDATE*
Finally got rid of the ugly high rise bars in fovor of some 2.5" stunt rise clip-ons.

*UPDATE*
New exhaust and frame mounts removed.

*UPDATE*
Paint and body work finished.

*UPDATE*
Removed the remnants of the rear fender. Ditched the turn signals. moved the license plate up near the battery box.

*UPDATE*
danmoto nano gauge installed and clutch/throttle cables replaced

*UPDATE*
I finally made the flyscreen I've been talking about for quite some time now.

*UPDATE*
I laid her down, fixed her up and we're back riding again.

And of course there is still more to come.

*UPDATE*
I get a lot of repeat questions that I keep replying to, so I thought I'd finally put a few of them up on the build thread.
FAQ:

Q: What is that headlight?

A: Well the headlight is a DIY garage special. the basic components are the projector housing (low beam) and the reflector housing (high beam).

The projector came out of a OEM gsxr 600 headlight assembly. I bought a busted assembly off of ebay and cut away all the broken plastic untill I had the nice aluminum and glass projector assembly. Then I cut off the existing mounts, sealed up the leaky bits, and made a new mounting bracket for it. The projector uses an H9 bulb, so I had to cut the stock headlight harness and solder on a new pigtail.

The reflector is 1/2 of a dual dominator setup. The dominator bucket uses a dual filament H4 bulb. Since I was only using the bulb for the the high beam I only connected the wiring to that filament.

Both housings now have LED running lights built into them, using the power from the amber running lights in the stock assembly.

The whole assembly is mounted up to the forks with a custom aluminum (bent with torch and hammer) bracket and 2" pipe clamps.

Q: How does your coolant setup work?

A: The coolant overflow tank was replaced with a simple aluminum water bottle. An inlet/outlet tube on the bottom goes to the radiator and an overflow tube vents out the top and down the bike.

Q: What did you do with the handle bars?

A: I removed the stock bar and riser and added a set of SWATT 2.5" rise stunt clipons. SWATT has since gone out of business, but there are pleanty of manufacturers that can provide you with a good set of riser clipons.

Q: What did you do to the tank to get rid of the mounting points for the fairing?

A: The body work onm the tank was teh most time consuming part of the transformation. I started my removing the brackets with a spot weld cutter. This left me with big indentations and spot weld bumps where the brackets used to be. I then stripped off all the old paint with aircraft stripper and a lot of elbow grease. Once I had a shiny bare metal tank I began the filler work. I applied metasl fill in thin layers untill the general shape was right. Then I smoothed out the details with body putty. Finally I primed the entire tank with sandable filler primer. Sanded down any slight imperfections and primed it again. One more round of sanding priming and it was off to the painter. A week later I had a nice gloss black tank.

Q: How did you mount the license plate?

A:I used a generic targa license plate bracket and bent it to change the angle a little. I mounted the plate as far forward toward the battery box as I could and still have a good mounting surface. I drilled two mounting holes in the undertray plastic and secured large washers on the inside of the seat compartment to keep from putting too much stress on a small spot of plastic. It has held up well with no visible stress marks on the plastic. I drilled a third whole through the plastic inorder to place an LED in a position so that it would shine on the plate at night. I wired the LED to the existing plate light leads and it was good to go.
"No man shal be debarred the use of arms" "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Tailgun's Streetfighter Versys

Last edited by Tailgun; 08-20-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: New pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 05:20 PM

looks freakin awesome! that headlight is crazy.
i have to say, i got the idea for the swatt clip-ons from you.
i would of done the swingarm but it would of been too much of a hassle to have removed, then brought the painter and back. the finish on mine is satin black.

i am waiting for the black arrow slip on to come today!

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/galler...php/photo/1004
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/galler...php/photo/1005
Old 04-06-2010, 05:52 PM

2009 Kawasaki VERSYS CANDY LIME GREEN

It reminds me of the old Suzuki 750 triple of abuddies I used to ride except of course much newer and much better....you are an artist....very nice work sir!
Old 04-06-2010, 06:15 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

I think I've asked this in a different thread, but why not just score a 650r or ER6n tank from ebay or salvage?

I like what you've done, although I also like the stock bike so I'll not be doing any rotozipping myself.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:16 PM

This bike is FREAKIN AWESOME. I think it turned out great and can't wait until I can get started with mine. Like you, I think the engine and just overall performance of the bike is great and just what I need but just wanted to go with a different look. Although I've gotten used to the stock look I still think it could look better just like yours. And I would also stick with the versys gas tank but just smooth the rivets out- that extra gallon seems to go a loooooooooong way
Old 04-06-2010, 10:26 PM

Time to call Streetfighter Magazine...this bike is ready for the cover!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:21 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys
Default Streetfighter.

Tailgun,

Forkin awsome bike, you did a great job. I am not into these types of bikes but what a great job. The Best, GV09
Old 04-06-2010, 11:44 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versysy

It takes a hand of a genius to mould a beauty like this.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:50 AM

Add a few rocket launchers and buzz saws and you'd have a combat vehicle from Mad Max
Old 04-07-2010, 10:23 AM

Nice, I'm starting to see the true versatility of this platform.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:13 PM

Looks like an ER-6n

My Farkles......http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20013
My Video Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/weljo2001?feature=mhee
My Photos...http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/sets/

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 04-07-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:37 PM

No way... The er6n still has "no value added" plastic, along with an ugly bulbous headlight, a blah swing arm, wimpy front forks, and the most hideous rear sets in existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Looks like an ER-6n
"No man shal be debarred the use of arms" "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-09-2010, 11:05 AM

I agree completely with tailgun. If you look at this bike for more than a minute you will see that this is a very different bike than the er-6n. This bike looks mean and gets right to the point where as the er-6n is about making a pretty, dressed up "streetfighter" if some even want to call it that. Tailgun, you're bike is one in a million, you had a vision and are going all the way through with it. Way to go man, gonna be joining the naked v club as soon as I get some time.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:32 PM

Heres another progress update and request for opinions.

I finally got rid of what was left of the rear fender. I also decided to leave off the turn signals and relocate the license plate up near the battery box.

Here's the pics.

Now is the part where I need advice. How should I go about fabricating some sort of under tail pannel to smooth our the area just forward of the tail light?

Old 07-01-2010, 06:01 PM

Very nice. It's funny how much the Versys frame (when stripped of plastic) looks like the Spondon frames which are used for a lot of cutom streetfighters. Cool.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:50 PM

Looks GOOD!

Now, how about '09 black forks, black frame and black wheels??

V-Zee
Old 07-01-2010, 09:04 PM

2007 Kawasaki

Looks awesome. How do you like the Shiko Raven up front?

IBA# 38547
Old 07-01-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuff View Post
Looks awesome. How do you like the Shiko Raven up front?
It handles great and seems to have a little better wet road performance than the stock tire.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:42 PM

2007 Kawasaki

I'll check back with you and see if they're lasting longer than the Advance's.

IBA# 38547
Old 07-01-2010, 10:25 PM

Old fab trick is to take some florist's foam (the green stuff) and mold it to the existing pan then shape the exposed side into the look you desire. A little bondo and some sanding will turn it into a nice mold slug for a fiberglass version.
Advertisement