OEM bags for Xmas - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Modifications - Cosmetic

Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

Old 12-25-2009, 08:53 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys
Default OEM bags for Xmas

I got the OEM side bags and racks from Santa, which is great except I already have the OEM top rack and trunk. What is the least expensive way to get both mounted at once as I can tell there is a conflict with the GIVI side racks and the SWM(?) top rack?? If I have to pick I will mount the side cases and leave the top off but would really like to have both. Does GIVI have a top rack that attaches with the sides??

Help would be appreciated.

Note: I know there was a thread some time back but did not find??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2009, 11:06 PM

Hacksaw or sawzall the grab handles off the sidebag mounts, grind the tops smooth, paint the tops, then mount the stock (SW-Motech) trunk bracket on the flat part of the sidebag brackets where the handles used to be - you'll see the holes line up. BTW, you'll need some longer bolts to mount both at the same time.

This works very well - I did it myself.

Also, the SW-Motech made rear rack is far superior in strength to anything Givi makes.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:25 AM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Thanks, will try that if I can't find a bolt on solution!!
Old 12-27-2009, 11:03 AM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Bump to get more input.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:37 AM

2007 Kawasaki Versys
Default There is a Givi top rack

There is a Givi top rack that matches the side rack - my bike came with both.

Sorry I can't help more

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
Old 12-27-2009, 02:43 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
There is a Givi top rack that matches the side rack - my bike came with both.

Sorry I can't help more
Thanks, will call one of vendors.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:47 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

I think what you are looking for is the Givi FZ447 top rack. If you already have the siderack attached, they will replace some of the fittings, which are listed as the PLX447 fitting kit on Twisted Throttle's website.

Dave C
Old 12-27-2009, 09:27 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Old 12-30-2009, 09:52 AM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Ordered the Givi bolt on; $141 with free delivery (3 day Fed eX) from Sporttour, one of the vendors listed in the "General" forum. Thanks for all the input.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:57 AM

dumb point
did you order the rails AND the appropriate mounting plate (m5 or M5M), y'need both for Givi fit out.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:36 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
dumb point
did you order the rails AND the appropriate mounting plate (m5 or M5M), y'need both for Givi fit out.
Not so dumb. On the Twisted Throttle site, they give you the choice of fitment to include with the rack. Sporttour's site doesn't, but also doesn't indicate which one comes with it. They do seem to identify if a rack is Monolock-only, so hopefully it ships by default with the M5 plate. It would seem pretty useless to not ship it with something, since they don't list the plates separately for purchase on the site.

Dave C
Old 12-31-2009, 10:09 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Got the monokey top rack (M5); however, the rails do interfere with the side racks from Kawi (also monokey). The parts LOOK like it should work but the side bars will not quite line up due to the interference. Will deal with it next week??? :>(

Last edited by jcctx; 12-31-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:30 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

UPdate~~ Finally got the Monorack to fit up-- had to use quarter inch screws in the support adapter instead of the 8mm that was supplied. Gave me just enough room to loose fit all together and then let the bolts pull everything together. The allen head bolts that connect the rails to the support are hidden by the side rack, so a screw driver had to be used to hold the bolt while making the nut up. NOT good engineering on Givi's part but can be made to work. As a premium aftermarket supplier we should expect more from them, IMO!!!
The service from sporttour.com was excellent; they called after receiving the internet order and confirmed all the info and what plate I wanted, etc. and, sent it 3 day even with free shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement