Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Kawasaki ER-6C, that's C as in Custom

582K views 2K replies 117 participants last post by  jdrocks 
#1 · (Edited)
:yeahsmile:THE BIKE BUILDS

DON'T YOU JUST LOVE IT WHEN A (FORMER) SUPER MODERATOR EDITS, RELOCATES, SCRAMBLES, AND DELETES YOUR POSTS. R.I.P. YA FREAKIN' DUMMY.

#4 ·
"ah yes, what to do with the ninja? the bike is not wrecked and runs fine. the parts and pieces that were damaged out in montana were mainly the custom pieces i fabricated. the few damaged factory pieces have been replaced. to answer your question, i've already designed a new bike based on the same platform and hope to build it over the winter."

jdrocks - so what happenned with the other "bike platform?"
Did you decide to just go ahead and "start anew" when this deal came around?

Are you planing on reusing the gravel guard, panniers, front light set-up, etc. from the original bike, or did all that go with the other bike when you got rid of it?

Just curious...Either way, I look forward to seeing the results of your latest endeavor.

#6 ·
lukas, you're the one with the radical build. you chose a beautiful engine in that kawasaki 650 twin. i run mobil 1 15/50 car oil in mine. never missed a beat. you'll need brass cajones to ride it when done. the er6c/versys is already very fast on the gravel, but that engine in a lightweight frame will be crazy stupid fast. a lightweight 70hp dirt bike.

mine won't be too radical, but durable and fun-need i say cheap. a gravel road runner, adventure tourer type thing. obviously, i'm not afraid to get a scratch on it.
If I look at your stripped down ER-6 and then my empty LC4 frame with the Versys engine and SCARY looking wiring harness sitting next to it, I am not sure which I like better. Cheap gravel road runner sounds pretty good all of a sudden! ;)

Just enjoyed reading your partial ride report above. If you are not riding a KTM at least you seem to like our guns. That toll booth story is pretty funny though, never heard of this happening anywhere else in the world. And you not understanding the guy in Chicago totally cracked me up. I spent a foreign exchange year at the U of C high school which is also located on the south side. Obviously the English I had previously been taught by my Austrian teachers didn't get me very far, so I always viewed my interacting with the employees at Harrold's Chicken, White Castle and Taco Bell as classes in "urban English". Before leaving I was able to slang it out with the best of them. :D

What's up with 35mpg at 80 mph, is this normal? I might as well get a carbed 950 Superenduro in that case.

#7 ·
"An Extra Gallon" That's the reasoning behind be keeping my original tank for my Versys conversion JD.. 80kms or 50 miles if my maths is correct
on the bikes Fuel usage, is great for those longer trips.

I just gotta finish glassing my new tank bracket covers. doh

#8 ·
all the lights are mounted on the forks and will turn in the direction of travel. i want 220w pointed the direction i'm going.
Just a thought, but the direction your forks are aimed at is not always into the turn. I find that especially at faster speeds (where you would need more light) I actually counter steer. But I guess with 220w in wouldn't really matter! :D

If you don't have any lights yet, consider the Hella 90mm modules. The have great optics, are cheap and durable. Easily converted to HID as well.

On another note, you mentioned above that you have a second tank not mounted on the bike. Does it have a fuel pump in it? I am trying to figure out the fuel system for my bike and it looks like I will have to use a surge tank with the stock pump. Would be awesome if you could give me the rough size/footprint of it so I can start looking for something appropriate. I think a coolant expansion tank from Canton might work if I cut a hole in the bottom.

Thanks!

#9 ·
I meant if those spare gas tanks had a fuel pump in them, if you could measure the size of that pump (footprint). Easier access than if it was mounted. :thumb: This way I will know if the stock pump/regulator will fit into the Canton tank without having to buy one.

Looking forward to seeing the design you come up with for the lights, the last one sure left an impression. ;)

#13 ·
Hey JD, I'm with Simon. I'm lovin' your trip report. I just got my bike this summer and the longest ride I've done is a couple hours. I am baffled at the hours you and Beemer put on in a day. I can't wait to do a long trip like you and many others pull off.

Keep 'er comin'! I'm reading every bit of this. :cheers:

Ron

#14 ·
jdrocks

Just joined today and think that your on-going conversion of a 650R to a "dual sport" is awesome. I am really interested in your conversion because I just put a deposit on a salvaged 2009 650R with 869 miles on it. Mine may cost a little bit more than yours ($2500.00), but I too put a limit of $$ to put it back together, $3500.00 total including purchase of the bike. Mostly headlight & upper cowling plastic damage. Only thing mechanically wrong is a cracked stator cover and a cut clutch cable.

Will a 5-gallon Versys tank work without modification on a 650R; I mean will the stock 650R computer fuel gauge read that extra gallon? Does it really matter and just use the odometer? I really want the range as I plan to drive up the west coast and Sierras for some long trips.

Originally I was going to replace the broken fairings for better wind protection on long pavement stretches, but your naked 650R and swmotech guards for turning me another direction, plus it would a cheaper direction as I don't have to replace all plastic cowlings. Do you have turn signals? This is my only bike so it will also be used for commuting and such and Los Angeles traffic enforcement don't look too kindly to missing things from a motorcycle.

Anyways, I will be watching this build-up very closely. BTW, I too am going to add Pelican cases to my rig and want to know if you rigged your own rack or used the swmotech racks. Thanks!

Cy

#15 ·
jdrocks

Thanks for the pics. The place that I am getting the 650R also has a salvage Versys and many used parts. I originally wanted to get a bike that could get 200 miles before the "light" went on, so the 5-gallon Versys tank is good if I go that route.

I was curious, if you add the Versys front fork, do you change the rear shock too? Does the nose of the bike point upward if you don't? I am only 5'5" and sitting on a stock Versys felt really tall to me, but I like the idea of a little more suspension travel.

One more question, if I go the naked route, I wish to use a OEM headlight assembly from an existing motorcycle, so that I know that the lighting will be decent at night. I was thinking in this order: 1) Yamaha MT-03 headlamp (harder to get since it is Euro spec.), 2) new Yamaha V-max headlamp (easier, but harder to find used), 3) Buell dual headlight,or 4) LSL/Speigler urban headlamp (might be the costliest). My question, besides the customized brackets is wiring to the Kawasaki. Is it as simple as splicing?

Can't wait to see how your project gets along. Ciao!

Cy

#17 ·
I am digging this Alaska thing. I could go up there every year if I found a sugar momma.

I found Dawson City very expensive in 2008. A "George Bush" $20 would get you 3 beers. A loonie $20 would get you 4 beers.

Top Of The World was a highlight for me. I had a brief encounter with a white wolf and ran into some hail. THAT was fun on an 800# street bike. The road was all white-I dared not stop- was afraid I wouldn't get the pig going again. :eek:

#22 ·
jdrocks

Enjoying your trip on the modified Kawi. Can't wait to get my salvage 650R and start wrenching.

Question, in the picture with the Englishman (the tall one with the safety vest) is he wearing what I think he is wearing? Sidi mountain biking shoes? As in bicycle shoes for mtn. biking? I have a pair just like them and yes they have stiff soles, but no protection at all for motorcycling. Does he ride in those?

Can't wait for the finish of your new bike and your trip! Thumbs up!

Cy

#25 ·
The bike should be cleared in about 2 more weeks from the insurance company so that I can purchase it and take it home. The bike is a 2009 Lime Green Kawasaki 650R.

Basically, I am looking for left and right green upper fairings, headlight and front fender. Lower fairings are perfect. Need to replace the clutch cable and the left stator cover. I have a bead on a tailight for cheap. Other than that, I am good to go.

2009 is the changeover year for the 650R, so all the plastics are new. Not too many fairings available, unless I buy a different color and paint.