Sidewinder chain and sprockets - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Technical Discussion

Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Old 08-18-2009, 06:51 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys
Default Sidewinder chain and sprockets

ANYONE TRIED OR RESEARCHED THE SIDEWINDER SMART CHAIN II OR THEIR TITANIUM II SPROCKETS AS A MATCHED SET?

SITE STATES THE FOLLOWING:
Smart Chain II Concept
The Chain With a Brain

Five years of meticulous research at Sidewinders' engineering department has produced the worlds first "Smart Ring " chain "Smart Chain II". Sidewinder retained the proven, superior seal and longer life of the round "O" style sealing ring but attacked the friction and drag problem from an entirely new direction: Reducing the dynamic drag of the O-ring. Borrowing chemistry from Sidewinders highly successful "SS-51" synthetic chain and sprocket lubricant, process engineers developed a way to impregnate some of these core aerospace synthetics into the material of the O-ring itself.

How It Works

As the chain goes to work, it heats up . In less than a minute the temperature of the chain reaches a point that triggers the release of the slippery synthetics embedded in the o-rings. The smart rings become wet, the sideplates are lubricated , lowering the friction N.Z.D. (near zero drag).
This results in much greater power delivery to the rear wheel(s).These clever little o-rings are pretty "smart" "Smart Chain II" outlasts and out performs all other types of o-ring sealed chains. No matter what form of riding you do "Smart Chain II " is the SMART CHOICE

MAX POWER
ZERO DRAG
TOTAL LIFE
BALANCE
TRY OUR INVINCIBLE COMBO
SMART CHAIN II
plus our NEW! GUARANTEED for LIFE TITANIUM II SPROCKET

TITANIUM-CHROMOLY
SUPER STRENGTH
SUPER LIGHT
INDESTRUCTIBLE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW!!! Titanium II Sprocket
"The last sprocket you may ever have to buy"
"Never Ride With A Worn Out Sprocket Again"

Titanium II is the top of our quality line of sprockets. We guarantee it for
life. Krause/Sidewinder Titanium II sprockets are 6 times the hardness of
aluminum and 3 times harder than stainless steel. Titanium II sprockets
are the lightest non-aluminum sprockets made. Precision laser-cut to
extremely close tolerances. Proven to withstand 150+ horsepower Sand
Rails and Dragsters. The rear Ti's are provided in a soft black phosphate finish only. The fronts are plated by a number of methods and may come in black, silver chromate or light gold coating. No other brand of sprocket even comes close. If you want the best, look no further. Motorcycle sprockets and ATV sprockets in stock for immediate delivery
Standard size fronts….$89.99
Standard size rears…..$169.99
Custom sizes from 10-122 teeth…..Call for quote

Lifetime Guarantee
“It will never wear out or else”
"The Next Best Thing To Free Sprockets For Life"

Never buy another sprocket again!! The all-new “Titanium II” rear
sprocket is The One every rider has been waiting for. Sidewinder guarantees this sprocket to never wear out or Sidewinder will replace it Free of Charge.
How Much Better Can It Get?

It does not matter: what brand of bike you ride; how often you ride it; how
much you weigh; what kind of tires you run; what displacement bike you
bought…..if you buy a Titanium II sprocket from Sidewinder Racing
Products and you wear it out...you get a free replacement. This offer is
limited to the original purchaser. Please retain your invoice for proof of
purchase. Certain hybrid, project machines with engine transplants; mega
horsepower dune dragsters; machines with non-standard gearing; custom-
made sprockets, conversion kits, and machines using non-Sidewinder
drive chains are not covered under this guarantee. If you fall into any of
the previously mentioned categories please ask your sales agent to clarify
your situation.

http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/index.html

FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 07:07 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Yeah, and the slap-chop will replace all my kitchen knives.

Don't listen very much to marketing tripe.
Titanium is expensive, corrosive, and deforms easily if I remember correctly.
Maybe they've got some uber alloy they got from a going out of business sale at the space shuttle program, but I doubt it.
More likely they have an uber bachelors degree in marketing.

I did see someone post a sprocket the other day that was part aluminum but still had steel teeth. That looked like it might be a good idea for a rear sprocket, if made well.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:23 AM

See the pics I posted
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=4783
It's called "Stealth". I just installed it. I love the looks and it's 43 tooth. Whats not to love? We'll see about reliability.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:41 AM

Well I guess old PT Barnum was right. I bought into Krause Racing's "BS" about their Sidewinder "Titanium" sprockets. Unfortunately, I didn't do my research before buying from Krause. Had I just done a simple search on this site, ADV Rider, or Google, I would have quickly learned that Vic at Krause is a Sheister.

I ordered the Titanium front sprocket for my KLR from Vic (Fick - German for his name preceeded by sick). When I got it, I noticed that it seemed too heavy for Titanium. Stamped on the sprocket was the following: Esjot 32038 15

I did some research and found out that Esjot is a very reputable German company. I found a US number for them and called. I spoke with a very nice German fellow and asked him what material was used for this particular sprocket. He told me that their sprockets were either aluminum or steel - they do not make Titanium sprockets.

I checked the part number on their site and found out that it's steel. But wait, it gets even better. I asked the German at Esjot where I could purchase their sprockets. He directed me to Spiegler Performance Parts in Dayton, OH. I called Spiegler and asked how much they sold their sprockets for. I was told $27.95. I Krause $87 - almost 3 times more!!!!!

Several emails and calls later and the cat's got "Fick's" tongue.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:57 AM

2009 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys

Just reading your post.....Krause uses the word "titanium" as a trade name; not as a material used. They really need to change that.....false advertising. chrome-moly is a steel alloy and a good material at that....lighter than steel...yes it is but it sure ain't "Ti".

Sorry for your grief.

peace.

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement