Hepco Becker engine guard installed - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Modifications - Cosmetic

Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

Old 06-13-2008, 08:16 PM

2008 Kawasaki
Default Hepco Becker engine guard installed

So I received my shipment of farkle today from Adventure MotoStuff (http://www.amotostuff.com). In this thread I'll comment on the Hepco Becker Engine Guard. (http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/...ode=versys_650)

Firstly I wanted this engine guard for a couple of reasons. This is a most expensive bike I've owned so far and I wanted to protect it. I'm planning a 5000+km trip next year and if I wipe out at some point, I want to be able to pick and hopefully ride. Finally my old Ninja EX250-H13 had like next to NO accessories of note available and it drove me nuts for years, so I guess I'm saying I'm farkle starved. (Ninja 250 owners will get the H13 reference)

Installation took about 2 hours and was easy enough, I mean as easy as you might think installing a engine guard would be. e.g. tight screws, wishing you had a 3rd arm, etc..

The instructions are ok. They don't really depict the mounting points well and describe next to nothing. Here are some thoughts to guide you along:

1) You don't really have to remove the rad fairing. The instructions say to, but after you get it all installed you'll notice the engine mount bolts are indeed accessible with the fairing in place. It just makes it easier to remove the fairing.

2) Some people have complained about the bolts sucking. They strip, whatever. I didn't find this to be the case and ended up using the ones that came with the package. (I may have a newer Hepco Becker version) I did note the concern and while I was are HomeDepot looking for an allen key that would fit the bolts (a 10mm BTW) I checked to see if I could find better replacement bolts. This is when I noticed how American HomeDepot is in Canada. They had like 3 bins of 10mm bolts and a giant wall of Imperial sizes. No selection of Metric worth mentioning. If you're looking to replace the kit bolts, you might be in for a bit of a hunt. (especially if you're like me and wanted to get riding ASAP)

3) After its all in, I realized I might have some trouble getting it off if I needed to remove the lower fair for anything. The only reason I could think of needing to take it apart would be to get access to the rad cap, which is under the right side lower fairing. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

The fit and finish are fine. Nothing touches the fairing and the side bars are 2~4mm wider than the turns signal lights so you get full rad and signal protection. This is an important point. As you can see in my pictures the guard comes around and connects to the other side guard in front of the rad. If I wiped out on a long tour and the guard bent into the rad I would be screwed if the bike was in decent enough shape to start up. This isn't just about protecting your fairing, but also that large and vulnerable rad.

I've read about the Motech guard and wasn't convinced it was worth the money as both guards didn't connect so they supported each other structurally in a crash.

Finally on the looks. The guards look good! I don't think anyone but a Versys owner would notice they were there. They don't stick out and do suit the lines of the bike. The pic on MotoStuff's website is of a Silver kit, which would be awesome since the Blue Versys is mostly Silver, but note that it does say the color is black.

Take a look at my pics. I tried to capture the fit and front bar which connects both sides. You can see how it clearly would protect all the most vulnerable bits.

Hope this helps anyone sniffing around for farkle possibilities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2841.JPG
Views:	2290
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	161   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2842.JPG
Views:	1994
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	162   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2835.JPG
Views:	1855
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	163  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2008, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the report. It looks very nice. Something else to add to the list.......
Old 06-14-2008, 07:22 AM

Nice job - I'm tossing between the SW-Motech and the HB engine guards. You gave me more to think about. Great job!

Where are you going on your 5000 km trip?
Old 06-14-2008, 12:31 PM

2008 Kawasaki

I'm planning for next year with my brother and dad. I still need to break in the V, and honestly I won't have enough vacation available if I attempt it this year. We're looking at a 12 day ride, with ample time to take in the sights.

I will likely being planing a sub-1000km trip later this summer though. Sort of a planning and prep. Work some packing ideas out and see how it goes.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:34 PM

I called Twisted Throttle yesterday to check their supply on the V46 and the MonoRack for the Versys - they have them in stock. I'm severly tempted to order through them and tell my dealer to pass on the Monorack. I'm in need of luggage desperately.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:13 PM

You do not have to support the engine -- but only do one side at a time :-)
Old 03-17-2009, 09:51 PM

2008 Kawasaki

Hey Nimble.

Wordguy is right of course. You bolt the left and right sides separately sort of lower/under the engine. Doing one at a time, which is the most you'll be able to do anyways, will be fine and easy enough. Just make sure you have some meteric wrenches. If you attempt an install with imperial you'll invariably end up messing the bolts up in some way and I don't think you want to worry about removing striped or rubbed bolts/nuts.

I stood the bike up right by propping the opposite peg up on a car jack.

Finally, like I mentioned in my original post, I suggest you either stare at the rad faring until you feel comfortable which mount points are which, or just remove it. But if you do you'll see what I mean. I'm certain I could have installed it without that hassle.

Have fun!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:41 PM

2009 Kawasaki
Lightbulb

In case you gents are up in the air about crash bars and how they protect, take a look at this photo. You resident idiot decided to close his modular helmet on his still lit cigar and knocked the friggin cherry in my lap which caused me to let go of the front break (to extinguish oncoming lap/boy fire), the front wheel kicked right and down we went, zero speed drop, but absolutely no damage to the V, except the scratched bar and what's left of my ego.
Best money I've spent...so far
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	H&B 1.jpg
Views:	1190
Size:	662.8 KB
ID:	2437  
Old 03-17-2009, 11:03 PM

2008 Kawasaki

Ouch! I was about to ream off a line of HAHA's but realized that would be crass.

Hey, we've all done embarrassing stunts while sitting in the driving seat. I had 1 beer, 1 BEER on Canada Day at a friends house one year and completely forgot my kick stand. Everyone could see me from the backyard deck while I started and stalled the engine 5 times before I realized I left my kick stand on. The most shameful bit was that I spent like an hour talking to my friend's neighbor about bikes. He'll standing there wondering what's up with the stalling. Its the simple distractions that will get you every time.

I'm glad to both hear the bars are good for 0 km/h drops and that you managed to get out of a mistake with damage that can be fixed with some black paint!
Old 03-17-2009, 11:27 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
In case you gents are up in the air about crash bars and how they protect, take a look at this photo. You resident idiot decided to close his modular helmet on his still lit cigar and knocked the friggin cherry in my lap which caused me to let go of the front break (to extinguish oncoming lap/boy fire), the front wheel kicked right and down we went, zero speed drop, but absolutely no damage to the V, except the scratched bar and what's left of my ego.
ouch, but good to hear you're ok, and the bike is as well!
I'm thinking I should invest in some of those bars myself...
Old 03-17-2009, 11:49 PM

2009 Kawasaki
Tell you the truth, I wouldn't have minded a few haha's...Stupidest thing I done in awhile...But I like the kickstand story...Gotta quit smokin those dumb cigars Thanks all
Old 03-18-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
... extinguish oncoming lap/boy fire ...
But you put the fire out, which is the most important thing
Old 03-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Man that's funny! i can see you now, slapping your crotch & throwing the bike to the ground!! Great stuff!

Old 03-18-2009, 04:55 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

I think my HB bars are protecting my V better than I could have expected. I dropped it three times (two at zero speed and one at about 10 mph). All three were the result of brain farts!!! Since then not even a close call! I think they are magic!

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one! Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have three!

Old 04-09-2009, 08:29 PM

2008 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys Blue/Silver

Installed the HB engine guard yesterday.
Nice and practical.
Thank you for the HB suggestions and feedback. Should have fix it sooner.

Be Happy
Old 04-10-2009, 01:30 AM

I have them on now as well. Awesome fit and finish. I hope I'll never need them...
Old 04-13-2009, 08:18 PM

Has anybody painted the Hepco Becker bars silver to match the color of the parts in that area of the bike? Any pictures?
Old 04-14-2009, 06:48 PM

2008 Kawasaki

I think most people paint the parts black anyway.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:45 PM

I replaced my Hepco&Becker crashguard's crossmember with a twisted aluminum flat bar, to have an air collector instead of a restrictor. It's also about a pound lighter...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	versysx 004.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	633.2 KB
ID:	2778   Click image for larger version

Name:	airbox 004.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	457.5 KB
ID:	2779  

Last edited by invader; 04-15-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:30 AM

Pictures like the dropped bike above convinced me to install the HB bars. (Bummer Contractor)
I haven't seen any pictures posted of dropped V's with other gaurds showing no damage to the bike as of yet.

The only problem I ran into during install, which I have posted on another thread is that the nuts did not seat in the engine capture wall and spun before I could get the torque on. I had to shim them with some steel strapping to stop them from spinning, it was a hassel but I got it. No fault of the HB bars there.

Other than that I like the looks of them and with the radiator protection they offer I think the HB's are the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement