Suspension Tuning - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Technical Discussion

Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Old 05-03-2008, 05:56 PM

Default Suspension Tuning

Greetings. Before I dive into hours of brainhurting manual reading and internet researching would a anyone have experience setting a 2007 Versys suspenion for 155lbs/70kgs? I need a simple baseline before any knuckle bashing commences. I'm not concerned about adjusting ride height.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2008, 09:44 PM

xcbikeman,

I posted a pdf file that addresses your needs in technical discussion.

Greeks never wrote obituaries---they only asked one question---Did this person lived life with Passion?
Old 05-29-2011, 08:34 AM

Default Versys 650 suspension

I have an 07 model which I've had from new. For handling the first thing to do is fit decent tyres which seems to be anything apart from the original dunlops.
Michelin Pilot Road 2ct seems to work well on both road and on trackdays in the uk. They were poor when I lived in Spain. Dunlop D207RR was my tyre of choice there and because the roads don't have much grip the tyres lasted ages.
Pressure wise I run 36psi rear and 33psi front in summer, 32 rear and 30 front in winter.

I weigh 63KG which is not a lot and found the pre - load too much as standard. For the road I think I have it on the second lowest setting and I crank it up one notch for track work.
The damping on the rear shock is still good and has been set at either one or two clicks off max. I've never adjusted it again in 4 years!

The front has a tendancy to wash out when cornered hard, I cured this by dropping the yokes as far as they would go (about 25mm) before the tapering in the fork legs stops you. I think I cranked the fork damping to max and dropped pre - load to minimum, again I haven't made any more adjustments for four years so can't remember exactly. I haven't even changed the fork oil.

This setup works for me in all conditions, on tracks, roads, different countries and even dirt roads and 2 up. As I said I only up the rear pre- load by one on track day, this improves mid corner stability and ground clearance, there are less bumps on a race track.

On the road I always have to drop the pre load again or I get thrown out of the seat.

I also fitted some renthal handlebars which look a lot better and place more of your weight over the front wheel. I never fitted bar weights and never had numb hands even on long tours.

The bike also lends itself well to supermoto foot out style riding on tighter bends as well as knee down stuff on the track.

Just remember this is no sports bike, but it does seem to handle fairly well on all but the most crap tyres in most conditions, and the handling hasn't degraded noticeably with age and mileage. However be wary of sport touring tyres when in foreign countries as you could find yourself nearly kissing tarmac at every corner and roundabout.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:01 AM

2009 Kawasaki '09.5 Blue

Gustavo did a good post on this-
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=705&
Old 05-29-2011, 12:10 PM

NO1spank i would like to see a pic of your handlebar set up if possible, Thansk´s
/M
Old 05-29-2011, 07:00 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

I'm 190lb and still experimenting but I recently dropped the preload to min as per article in Cycle World on long term Versys and found a big improvement over the stock settings. So far I have yet to bottom out and am using much more of the available suspension travel which means a softer, more controlled ride.

Last edited by Sprocket; 05-30-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement