Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

The Power Commander Map Thread

47K views 95 replies 32 participants last post by  Louis323 
#1 ·
Hey Kids,

Thought I'd start this thread to share info on which maps were working for folks.

My set up is DNA air filter, full Arrow system, stock gearing, and of course, PCIII.

I have tried a number of different maps, and have come to like one in particular. Very smooth, lots down low, and decent top end. Accelerator pump at 20/20/ 90%.

May work well for others with a similar set up. It was sent to me by Power Commander.

Since we cannot upload .djm files, e-mail me for it! :thumb:

It would be great if we could all share this stuff! When I get the bike dyno'd' I'll post it up as well!

Cheers

#2 ·
The benevolent mods have added .djm files to the upload list, so here ya go!

Attachments

#3 ·
I'm considering a PC3 but I plan to keep the stock exhaust and intake filter. I don't want to go to the expense of a custom map and wondered if anyone has a stock bike with PC3 and Dynojet's M228-001 map.

I'm more interested in low rev fueling and response than ultimate power.

I'd love to hear impressions.

Oh yeah, Dynojet's maps can be found here...

CLICKY CLICKY

#10 · (Edited)
I am. I just sold my Arrow header & can to another member, so it's back to stock exhaust & header. I never did change the air filter.

I'm still running the PC-III with a M228-001 basemap. I've got the secondary butterfly's pulled, Ivan's PAIR blockoff plate, 43T rear sprocket, and a balance tube between the throttle bodies as well.

Bike runs great. I'm going to leave the PC-III on. Can't really give a good comparo to stock, as it's been a long time since I was there.. But I do feel the bike runs great at this point.

#5 ·
Here is my 2 cents.

I have no experience with PCV but from what I’ve read, you can use the Akrapovic slip-on map or, you could buy the auto-tune device and there isn’t any mapping required but the auto-tune may need to "learn" a bit before it does its magic.

Using Akrapovic slip-on map may require some tweaking if you want it to be 100%.

But I would try to find out directly from either Power commander or Two Bros or someone who uses their products combined on recommendations.

#6 ·
RH,

I finally got my full Arrow system and a pc3. Dyojet mapped it for me. So far I am very happy. Iam an old guy that does alot of track days, has several bikes and of all the bikes that I have done mods to, I have never seen an improvement like I am getting with the V. I feel the arrow header might be the key. My V pulls very hard down low and keeps pulling to redline in 5th. This is coming from a guy that rides an Aprilia for track days. I know what low end is and I really like the change in the V. The bike is so much more rideable and I can lug it in low rpms and it just pulls away with less throttle.

Ride hard, ride safe and always wave to kids,

Murray
Bristol, TN

#7 ·
I would like to look at your map and compare it with the one that I have for the Arrow and a Two Bros can. Would you be interested in a map exchange?
Bob

#8 ·
Have you updated your rides Bob?

Model A?

CB900?

Very nice!:thumb:

#9 ·
You can't have too many toys, can you?
The CB is going to be a bobber/cafe racer wanna be.
The Model A is a resto project.
Are you handling this crappy weather okay? Too bad it's not this way all the time!

#12 ·
RH- It seems that the maps on Dynojet's site are disabled? Maybe it comes with the Akrapovic map which would probably work. If not I will call those fools. I like the idea of the autotune device, but don't know where the wideband 02 sensor would fit into my exaust. Oh yeah and don't feel like dropping 200 more dollars.

#13 ·
If you can't get hold of them, PM me, and I'll send you some.

#14 · (Edited)
If you don,t mind saying. what did the whole setup cost. I like the way the V runs,
but I get no power wheelies when I role on the throttle.After the mods does the V lift the front wheel any when accelerating. I am not crazy I dont want to ride wheelies for hundreds of yards just 10 or 15 will be plenty.I like the bike. So far all I have added is the Corbin seat and Givi Windshield. I would like a little front wheel lift without popping the clutch.
THANKS
dmc51
I tried to respond to Murrmoto,s thread sorry if it seems confusing. post #6

#15 ·
arrow pipe and pc 3

I got mine from pipe city and it was mapped for me before it was mailed.
I think the exhaust was 500.00 and the pc was like $299.00.
I think the headers without the cross over pipe makes a big difference.
If you were close by, I would let you take mind for a ride.

Regards,

Murray:yeahsmile:

#16 · (Edited)
I got the full arrow with the aluminum can, Power commander 3 usb, and BMC air filter for $789.95 shipped. Good deal...i thought.
I got it from http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/product.php?productid=119656&cat=32001&page=1. Doing stock dyno run tomorrow at school and then running home and installing. Needless to say...i got my parts today...woohoo! Can't get the "after mods" Dyno run done until next week. I got a week to try a few maps. Should be fun. I'll report soon.

#17 ·
#18 ·
I've been using that one for the last week. However I had my V dyno tuned today, they worked on it for 2 hours....runs great.....so here is the map....stronger low end in conjunction with the strong mid/top end rush of the one your trying now. Try it..you'll love it.

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
Stock was 59.55 hp. No torque #'s for stock run as there were issues with finding the correct wire considering i forgot to grab my service manual (duhh!).
Dyno run with map from Dynojet (Full Arrow, aftermarket/stock air filter) HP = 59.79, Torque = 40.68
Dyno run after tweaking (including step-test) HP = 63.41, Torque = 42.73
I'll have to admit that I expected a bit more peak power.(not sure what that expectation was based on though) However, the real world gains are significant and FUN! 2nd gear wheelies are not just a "pop the clutch" affair anymore. Upper mid range rush is way more than stock. After the step test, I retained the low end initially lost from the pipe install.
Overall, roughly a 6.3% increase in hp over stock. The torque #'s jumped about the same amount. All in all not bad for a bolt on mod.
This illustrates how important it is to get a dyno run done. Most of the HP and torque was found after the run. All machines are different and using a map from someone else is a shot in the dark.
BTW...I don't have a scanner. I'll try to get the graphs scanned at school and post later.

#24 ·
Not sure yet...only put about 100 miles this weekend...we'll soon see. My guess would be a drop if only for the fact that it performs and sounds like a race bike, thus my right wrist responds accordingly. That being said..even if it is a bit less...i'm more than happy with the investment. It's nice to have a bike that doesn't sound like a sewing machine anymore. It has some "soul" now.

#25 ·
I would recommend the PC3 or the PCV and here's why...you can go to any dyno in the world and their tech has experience on dynojet software. Not so sure if they would on the JuiceBox. There are other differences between the two. Search the forums, there is a wealth of knowledge on this subject as well as others.

#28 ·
What map are you using? I think Red herring is using the map I uploaded without the accelerator function at all. I'm doing the same....runs great. Keep in mind this map is for a Full arrow system with aftermarket air filter.

#29 ·
Actually, I've switched back to the Arrow map. Yours was beautifully smooth down low, but I find the Arrow snappier middle and top. I run it with a mild pump accelerator setting... not really sure how much difference it makes.

It is funny how different bikes will run better with different maps. All I know is that the V now runs like a scalded ape, and I can pop the wheel off the ground in third gear with the clutch, and I have to be careful about snapping the throttle open in second. Have not gotten too daring, those wheelies still scare the crap outta me, and I subconsciously have learned how to ride the bike so the front never comes up more than a half foot or so.

#30 ·
Actually, I've switched back to the Arrow map. Yours was beautifully smooth down low, but I find the Arrow snappier middle and top. I run it with a mild pump accelerator setting... not really sure how much difference it makes.

It is funny how different bikes will run better with different maps. All I know is that the V now runs like a scalded ape, and I can pop the wheel off the ground in third gear with the clutch, and I have to be careful about snapping the throttle open in second. Have not gotten too daring, those wheelies still scare the crap outta me, and I subconsciously have learned how to ride the bike so the front never comes up more than a half foot or so.

An old motocross trick is to be conscious of the rear brake. If you step on it, the front instantly comes down. So let your wheelie flag fly.:guilty:

#31 ·
I've been running StonedGP's map (dyno final.djm) for a couple of days now, and I am impressed. And it's weird because my bike is stock - standard exhaust and standard air filter. I had been using the stock map from powercommander and this certainly solved the poor low revs fuelling problem that was really bugging me. I remember reading on here (I think) that this map might reduce performance at the mid and top end, and I felt that - although I will admit it might have been the power of suggestion. Anyway StonedGP's map seems to deliver more mid range and top end and I get the feeling the bike isn't thrashing as hard as it is with the stock map. Also the new map is just as good at smoothing the poor low revs fuelling, so I think I will be leaving this one in. I disabled the fuel pump accelerator by the way.

I only now have one fuelling issue I would like to solve. The symptom is a surging on deceleration. With the latest map at least the surging on a completely closed throttle has gone, but it's still there on a 1 or 2% open throttle (only on deceleration, not on steady cruise). Unfortunately because I'm a steady rider, as I approach a turning or bend, I slow down slowly (ie 1 or 2% throttle), and the surging is sometimes irritating sometimes bordering on dangerous. I can try and adapt my riding style so I approach faster leave the slowing until later then completely close the throttle. But if anyone can suggest what to dial in to the powercommander map to solve this I'd be very grateful
Mike

#32 ·
Stoned, Invader... how much do you guys weigh? No way can I get a power wheelie in 2nd or 3rd, hell even the clutch just slips in 2nd most of the time. :( I can only get the V to give me decent wheelies in 1st. I'm 240lbs, suspect my clutch is part of the problem, but it sounds like you guys are either a lot lighter or making more power.

I've got the TBR slip on with a PCIII, Arrow slip on map. The bike seems to be running very good, the throttle hits hard and there is no bog, but it's not like it's got insane power.

Luke

#35 ·
I'm about 210 lbs, give or take.
In 1st, if I crack it open hard it would loop over on me. Like Red Herring, I think you are having clutch issues, as wheelies in 1st were quite easy with my V stock. Keep in mind I'm not a young, crazy kid doing wheelies all over the place. But I sure like to know I can.:guilty:

#33 · (Edited)
~200. I can easily pop it up with the clutch in second... but I don't. I have had a few good power wheelies in second, and I rarely floor it in first, at least not till the revs are past ~5000. It's making nice power now. I have run some of the ER 6n maps, and one of them I remember making insane power, but the driveability was horrible.

Could be that it's the addition of the header that makes a diff. I know it extends the power band till ~10,000RPM, whereas stock drops fast after 8500. It could also be your clutch, as you mentioned. I have no slip in second what so ever.

#34 ·
I have a dilemma. I have the BMC hi-flow filter with the PC3 and only the Arrow slip on. I plan to purchase the header soon, when funds flow a little better. Anybody have a map that doesn't include the full system from Arrow? I am having zero luck finding one.
thanks

#36 ·
Hi !!

I have purchased a PC III Usb for "playing" whith tunning... (Yes, I'm a geek... hehehehe)

I'm trying all maps I found but all of them causes explotions of fuel in the exhaust on closing the gas.

I will try the one you post.

I use two configs:

"Street mode":
- Mivv Oval carbonne (dbkiller inserted)
- Stock airfilter or Pipercross MPX (not R)

"Race mode" for daytracks and for have fun:
- Mivv Oval carbonne (dbkiller removed)
- BMC airfilter

I'm looking for O2 elimination kit (76423007) but it seems difficult to find it here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.