Helmet's.. who likes what? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Rider's Gear

Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Old 01-13-2013, 03:35 AM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys
Default Helmet's.. who likes what?

I absolutely love my Arai XD3 dual sport helmet. So i'm gonna put a post up and rave a bit about my favourite helmet for the Versys... It just seems to suit the Versys look and purpose.. On different bikes I don't wear it as much but that depends on how far I'm going on a dirt ride too.
I've had it now since it first came out here which I bought from the US on Ebay after trying it on here in Oz. I saved $229au shipped so bought a dark tint visor and still was cheaper by $100.

I've been thrilled by the comfort and ear comfort over a long day riding... and it is the quietest helmet I have second to nothing I've ever experienced before full stop. That's a bold true statement itself!!

For wind blast concerning the peak it is the most aerodynamic helmet I've encountered in it's field so far and I've tried them all now that have come to Australia so far as I have a few friends at the shops who will let me take them out for 15 minutes while no-ones watching to try out..

I brought a 2005 Blade and thought I'd speed test this helmet for a bit of personel interest and at 255km/h at true GPS speed it was so stable I was staggered how well Arai wind tunnel tested and developed it.. It doesn't push your nose flat on the visor either when riding at these speeds..

It looks great, is very water proof from up neck filtering in the rain with my MRA Variable screen riding my Versys (I'm under 6 foot by 2 inches), has heaps of skins to choose from and the inner liners last very well indeed. Love this one big time..

Tell us your favourite we all have different heads and likes in a helmet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_Arai_XD_3_Helmet.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	16595  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 AM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

I like my EXO1000. An internal flip down sunvisor is a requirement for any future purchase of mine no matter the manufacturer.

Versys Owners/Riders Map Here.

Add your name and see who's near you!

Old 01-13-2013, 11:32 AM

2012 Kawasaki Versys

Hey CAP.....have you seen/heard about the newest member of the EXO family??
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...-helmet-solids
Sounds pretty sweet!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOleChalupa View Post
Hey CAP.....have you seen/heard about the newest member of the EXO family??
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...-helmet-solids
Sounds pretty sweet!!!
I had not heard about this one. 2 things I already do not like about it (for me)..

1. No inner flip down sun visor.
2. It is designed for sport riding (forward lean). The angle of attack would bring to much air under the chin.

The EXO1000 is designed for sport touring and the upright riding position.

Thanks for the link though! I enjoy checking out new stuff!

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 01-13-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:37 PM

2009 Kawasaki KLE650 VERSYS

I have the Scorpion EXO-900 in neon and it's the best helmet I've ever owned. Being a modular (flip up) helmet it's easier to put on and take off. The flip down internal sun shade is perfect for touring as I don't need to squeeze on a pair of sunglasses. The air flow system actually works unlike most helmets I've tried. The neon color is very bright and when worn with my neon Joe Rocket textile jacket I am impossible to miss seeing. This helmet also comes with a matching peak so it can convert to an open face. The fit is also adjustable thanks to a "cheek area bladder" that pumps up to fit your face.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:10 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLANDER1089 View Post
I have the Scorpion EXO-900 in neon and it's the best helmet I've ever owned. Being a modular....
That is another option I may pursue next helmet purchase. A modular design.. Maybe I should have given the 900 a look! I don't think the shops I checked had them when I bought mine.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
That is another option I may pursue next helmet purchase. A modular design.. Maybe I should have given the 900 a look! I don't think the shops I checked had them when I bought mine.

really liked my Scorpion Modular but My Nolan Modular is sooooo much better in all aspects and not as bulky...http://www.flickr.com/photos/5418178...7628615376337/

My Farkles......http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20013
My Video Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/weljo2001?feature=mhee
My Photos...http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/sets/

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 01-13-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
What size do you wear?
I've got a large 900 in silver that I don't wear. I got it new for a very discounted price knowing that it was a size bigger than I usually wear and I tried it for awhile but I never got past the fact that it was just a tad big.

BACK ON TOPIC,
I wear an HJC CL-MaxII.
I wear modulars because I wear glasses, if I didn't have glasses I would probably just wear full face helmets (that's what I wore before I got glasses) because they tend to be lighter, less expensive, quieter and there are more choices. HJC brand fits me better than anything else I've tried. I've tried most everything in the stores and I've bought Bell, AFX and Scorpion but I always come back to HJC because they feel right.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:38 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
What size do you wear?
I usually wear a M or L, but in the EXO1000 I had to go XL. Scorpion helmets are sized quite tight.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:40 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
really liked my Scorpion Modular but My Nolan Modular is sooooo much better in all aspects and not as bulky...http://www.flickr.com/photos/5418178...7628615376337/
I will keep that in mind. I just watched a review of that helmet and it looks like it has everything I would want! The hardest part when I go helmet shopping is finding them in stock. I won't buy online anymore due to wanting a perfect fit as well as supporting my locals. My locals will match internet pricing so that's a win-win for both.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:44 PM

2011 Kawasaki Versys

I love my Arai XD3... I bought it specifically because of the peak/visor due to my my aversion to direct sun in my eyes (50+ years of baseball caps, I guess...) and it's been perfect for me and my V. I get by with a medium. I wear eyeglasses and have no problems in that regard.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:41 PM

I'm happy with my Nolan N61, intending to by a N104 next
Old 01-13-2013, 10:19 PM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

Does anyone remember the Nolan N19R it was a dual sport with a visor from about 25 years ago... way before adventure style helmets became so popular.
That was my first helmet ever
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nolann19r.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	16596  

Last edited by crow; 01-13-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:28 AM

2009 Kawasaki Versysy

Carberg Sintesi-ITALY

A bit noisy but a proper wind shiels and ear plug can solve th problem. worth the money.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:55 AM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post

Carberg Sintesi-ITALY

A bit noisy but a proper wind shiels and ear plug can solve th problem. worth the money.
Has that got an integrated Blue Tooth and internal speakers? The buttons on the side?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow View Post
Does anyone remember the Nolan N19R it was a dual sport with a visor from about 25 years ago... way before adventure style helmets became so popular.
That was my first helmet ever
I had a similar type of lid at one stage all black with a tinted visor, it looked really cool.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:13 PM

HJC Symax 3 for me. Had the Symax 2 previously. LOVE the pinlock shield- IMHO this is the best thing to happen to helmets in ages. Noise noticeably reduced from last version. Overall very happy with it.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:19 PM

For some reason I always end up with my Arai rx-q. I have Bell, HJC, Shark, and some other but the Arai comfort, fit, quality is just something else. It feels right. The only thing I'm missing is a photochromic visor which I have on 2 other brands.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:49 PM

Picked up two AGV helmets at a sale, one for BC, other for AZ. An S-4 for here - lightest, best ventilated, most comfortable, warm, a K-3 for BC (see picture).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011-AGV-K3-Gothic-Helmet.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	16599  

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 01-14-2013, 03:21 PM

I'm on my third Nolan modular (N100E, N102, N103). Most importantly, they fit my head. I suffered with Shoei helmets for a few years and a Nava before that because these were what the local shop sold. Major pressure point on my forehead...ouch! (Your head shape may vary.)

Then I saw a story on a moto forum about helmet brand and head shape. That led me to try a Nolan. I would not hesitate to buy another Nolan.

I got a couple helmets from Rider for a product test (I had to install a helmet comm system into supplied helmets; here if you care to read it). I found the Scorpion to be a torture chamber in my size (M). I turned around and went home after about 20 minutes because it hurt so much. I would like to have tried a size L but that wasn't happening. There was an internal flip-down sun visor in the Scorpion that worked beautifully, better than the one in the Nolan.

I also got to try a brand from Italy called Vemar which I liked. The shell is a carbon fiber composite, very strong and light. It has the "Eclipse" paint which is phosphorescent and glows green. Cool idea. I wish the glow effect lasted longer, but I expect if you were out riding all day in the sun it would make you glow for a while after dark. Very plush inside and it came with two visors (clear and smoke), although you have to stop and swap them.

My advice is to get a helmet that fits comfortably so (a) you always wear it, and (b) it doesn't distract or fatigue you. You won't know how well a helmet fits until you try it on!

I used to get helmets to match the color of my bike, but I discovered that was like camouflage. I've spent enough time riding sweep in group rides to believe that you'll stand out best wearing a solid color helmet in white or perhaps yellow. I expect the high viz ones I'm starting to see are good choices, too.

Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Reading Material: motobones.com

Last edited by Bones; 01-14-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement