Chain Oiler - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Modifications - Cosmetic

Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

Old 01-12-2013, 09:30 PM

Default Chain Oiler

Any recommendations regarding a chain oiler, located in Thailand dusty roads.. thanks gents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 09:43 PM

I use a Loobman. http://www.chainoiler.co.uk/ Gravity powered and fairly simple- One presses a button for about 10 seconds to release a 'dose' of chain oil (I use Amsoil chain oil- Super thick and stays on nicely with less fling than regular motor oil one might also use) into the line. The line uses gravity to deliver the oil to a plastic splitter with two zipties coming through it. When mounted the concept is to have the splitter diverting oil down the zipties onto your rear sprocket (which the zipties touch either side of). The centrifugal force pulls it through the links. I've been very happy with the setup. The one thing to keep in mind it that using any kind of lube that is applied while driving will result in a bit of a mess on certain underside bits of the bike. Personally I don't mind this much since I favor the convenience of oiling my chain at any point with no prep or stopping needed (ie if it starts raining). There are much more complicated and expensive vacuum driven systems, but I couldn't rationalize the expense. I think the loobman is worth the money, assuming you can deal with the drawbacks.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:47 AM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

+1. for me... I like the ease chain-oiler's give.... the mess is secondary to the maintenance time and money saved. Bikes need a clean up regardless of whether you make the mess yourself or the chain oiler does.. I haven't tried this brand myself yet, but the purpose is the same and highly effective at it's job. They look cheaper than a Scott's by a few can's of lube or more. I like the Scott's Oiler but that's only because I know them and like the operation system..

Last edited by crow; 01-13-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 PM

Kawasaki Versys

I strongly recommend Tutoro. I live in Thailand too! Whereabouts are you? What I like about the Tutoro is it's install and forget (other than topping up the oil). I have set the flow rate for about 600 km per fillup of the supplied canister.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0314.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	16597  
Old 01-13-2013, 11:09 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versysy

http://www.visordown.com/reviews/kit...iler/4897.html.

Only problem is getting the refill , other then that its one of the bet system as you can control the flow rate and not much of mess up.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:01 AM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by yychow0812 View Post
I strongly recommend Tutoro. I live in Thailand too! Whereabouts are you? What I like about the Tutoro is it's install and forget (other than topping up the oil). I have set the flow rate for about 600 km per fillup of the supplied canister.
I like the look of this one.. I'm gonna try this brand in the Automatic version for my next one instead of the Scott's

Last edited by crow; 01-15-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 PM

For chain oil working with similar Scott Oiler/Lubeman/Tortoru methods, I have tried a few different concoctions mixture of ATF DIII with 80W90 manual gear oil. So far, I am pretty happy with 60% ATF 40% Gear Oil. Oil stays on longer but don't dirty up the chain, in fact my dirty chain became cleaner after some usage. It does fling (even 100% Gear oil flings) but the oil residue is easy to clean off.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 AM

2007 Kawasaki versys 650

Interesting thread guys,
I have just purchased but not fitted yet a tortoru so am interested in the different mélange of mixtures and types of recommended oils.
I recently bought a can of chainsaw oil,very cheap at this time of year in France.
Read somewhere of this being used in chain oilers,makes sense really as my chainsaw gets a hard life,sudden bursts of very hot running and never cleaned just a wipe of with a rag.Will give it a try and see what happens.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:20 AM

2008 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys Blue/Silver

Using scottolier but see the loobman. Like it's simply usage and price.
More important try getting the two delivery tubes that flow the oil on both sides of the rear sprocket.

Ride safe,
Old 01-15-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagle View Post
...I recently bought a can of chainsaw oil,very cheap at this time of year in France.
Read somewhere of this being used in chain oilers,makes sense really as my chainsaw gets a hard life,sudden bursts of very hot running and never cleaned just a wipe of with a rag.Will give it a try and see what happens.
Before O-ring chains, when I raced 'dirt', I would remove my chain, clean it, then immerse it in a container of chain-oil after a ride (I had two chains, so one was always 'oiling').

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 01-15-2013, 02:19 PM

2007 Kawasaki versys 650

Yes fasteddie, you reminded me,when I started riding we used to buy a flat canister of chain lube,like a frying pan with a lid on.Warm it on the gas cooker and then drop the chain in !!
Leave it to cool down and use it over and over.
Mum was not particularly impressed
At least I did not use her chip pan oil!!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagle View Post
Yes fasteddie, you reminded me,when I started riding we used to buy a flat canister of chain lube,like a frying pan with a lid on.Warm it on the gas cooker and then drop the chain in !!
Leave it to cool down and use it over and over.
Mum was not particularly impressed
At least I did not use her chip pan oil!!
When I first began riding I read quite a few British motorcycle mags, and they always recommended soaking your chain in "paraffin" to clean it.

We could NOT see how that could be done, as here, in the "Colonies", paraffin is a hard wax like 'beeswax'.

THEN I learned LATER in life that to a Brit - paraffin is what we know as KEROSENE!

Kinda like how we think the Brits are weird, calling 'aluminum' - "aluminium". Then I saw that Brits SPELL it aluminium.

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 01-16-2013, 01:59 PM

2007 Kawasaki versys 650

You are quite right,clean in paraffin before dropping in the hot chip fat!!
Funny thing language,since living in France,discovered paraffin is "Petrole or combustible!! Paraffin Jelly is Vaseline,lots of uses!!!!!
You guys fill your bikes with "gas",gasole in France is diesel,have to be careful at the pumps,which brings me to Ethanol but that's another story.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:03 PM

2007 Kawasaki versys 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
When I first began riding I read quite a few British motorcycle mags, and they always recommended soaking your chain in "paraffin" to clean it.

We could NOT see how that could be done, as here, in the "Colonies", paraffin is a hard wax like 'beeswax'.

THEN I learned LATER in life that to a Brit - paraffin is what we know as KEROSENE!

Kinda like how we think the Brits are weird, calling 'aluminum' - "aluminium". Then I saw that Brits SPELL it aluminium.
Worked for a Canadian in London who kept asking me to pass the allluminum brackets,was confused for all of 10 seconds ha ha.But the boss had an Aston Martin I had to collect and clean then return on Fridays,I loved that job.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:42 PM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by yychow0812 View Post
Just ordered one from UK cost me $125 au shipped for the deluxe Automatic kit and caboodle.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:54 PM

Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow View Post
Just ordered one from UK cost me $125 au shipped for the deluxe Automatic kit and caboodle.
You won't regret. I've had mine now for 6 months and the chain is still looking really good. I normally do a clean using WD40 about one a month but never have to worry about the lubrication. Much better to spend the time riding or tinkering with other parts of the bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement