You can't overcome dumb!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Rider's Gear

Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Old 01-05-2013, 06:42 AM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys
Default You can't overcome dumb!!

I had a conversation that escalated into an argument today, that I didn't even start... about riding gear... that I was wearing.

Moustache and muscles Harley rider at a service station pump opposite me asked me if I thought leathers still looked cool in the heat today. It was 41c and was pretty hot standing still fuelling up my bike on my way from the coast to home.
Personally I think he was just insulting my little odd bike not really me.

He was wearing an open face helmet no shirt, a leather vest, no gloves, torn denim jeans and sneakers. I was in full leathers as usual.

I'm not sure if I was being rude to call him names for his stupidity on the subject but I did anyway because riding gear is something I feel quite strongly about after helping care for a particular patient that happened to come off his bike on a hot day...
though not nearly as hot as today... dressed just like this fella and riding the same bike too.
Bike vs Road only..

Pt died from massive systemic infections 5 days after a minor fall due to no skin left on his body at all except his scalp and inside legs. Pretty much he was gloved head to toe of skin, but covered in road base, pebbles and dirt instead.
That had to be removed of course by tweezers mostly and feeling inside the deep tissue injuries with thumbs for foreign objects. A bottle top was found too from memory of his notes. Bike riders always stick to mind with the little interesting details...

When I asked him politely how fast he thought his muscles, elbows and chin would sand down to nothing on the hot tarmac at.. say?? 80 km/h he did take a pause to listen, to which I jumped right in to further say.. "go on mate try and put a hand on it"... but as expected came he back with, " I've been riding longer than you been alive dick head".
He even looked 5 years older too
So about then out came that immortal line of mine..

"Ya Fu*#ing Wanker... ya just can't overcome dumb can ya mate!?".

The rest is in the past now but I am never surprised by riders that think its too hot to gear up even when it's bloody cold.

Leathers in the heat, nylons or both in the cold but cover up no matter what. It's not a fashion game....or is it??

Last edited by crow; 01-05-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 06:55 AM

Learned a trick this summer. Take a textile jacket and hose it down on a hot day. When you get moving it is like air conditioning. If I get too hot on a ride I bust out a bottle of water. Usually I adjust to the heat by the time the jacket dries anyway.

Plus I thought a leather vest was sufficient. Hmm.. I had a Harley rider tell me he didn't need a helmet because the fact his bike was a Harley. I thought about questioning him but left it alone. Not worth arguing with someone who obviously doesn't care.

They would probably get it wrong if they tried anyways...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	girl-wearing-helmet-backwards.jpg
Views:	778
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	16560  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50360e1f1d41c876ec000038.jpg (38.7 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by Versys11; 01-05-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:36 AM

Always some people that are not really happy!

If you are happy, you don't have anything negative to say about anybody.

These people are every where. If you are filled with joy they want to destroy it and I'm not kidding!

Last edited by MTS; 01-05-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:10 AM

Kawasaki 2011 Versys

I rode across the USA and back in July. It was HOT each and every day... and I passed many, many Harley drivers who were scantily clad for the most part. In Ouray, Colorado it was well into the 90F range and I got to talking to a Brit. The Brit wanted to know why I was the only person in full gear and I had to bring him up to date on the Harley Davidson mindset of most Yanks. He was amazed at their stupidity. I told him that we had just grown accustomed to it here in the States... and I also made some mention of Charles Darwin and he got a kick out of that.

Here I am at about 95 degrees in a picture taken by the Brit...

Edit: Spelling

Last edited by genehil; 01-05-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:21 AM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

When the wife and I were young, (Early 20's), we rode together in our sneakers, shorts, T-shirts and helmets. We sometimes talk about this older gentleman who approached us at a fueling pump and gave us some words of wisdom. He politely told us that we should really consider wearing some more clothes or protective items to protect the skin. We had a short and polite conversation about the weather or such and rode on. He was a really nice guy, but his message didn't sink into our young brains. I believe I sold that bike a few years later, luckily I always kept the shiny side up and never needed the coverings.

I am now in my 40's and only after joining this forum in 2010, reading many posts about the benefits of the protective gear, and reading Brittany's story (her story here **graphic**), did I make an effort to wear protective gear.

As I said, we think back to the older mans generous offering of great advice but our young minds were not open to the suggestion. I have on occasion offered such advice, without pressure, to younger riders but I keep in mind that they too may not be ready to hear it. We always part ways with common appreciation for the riding sport but hopefully they will end up like me.... a more mature rider that rolled the dice and never went down...

I want to thank those on this forum who have continued to inform us all about the benefits of protective gear.

Click here for Brittany's video... I watch it from time to time to remind me that ATGATT is worth the extra time to suit up for me and my family members who ride.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:25 AM

I'm not sure about the ethics of carrying a picture of the patient you had to treat, but showing dude man at the gas station a picture like that and saying I'm sure he thought the same as you before he went down, would get the message across faster than any words (especially wanker )

I only started riding 4 years ago (mid 40's now) but thought long and hard about the dangers involved before I did. One of my brothers had a bad crash 10 years ago and was very lucky to survive. 6 month hospital visit and one leg now shorter than the other meant I was under no illusion about what could happen. So I wear the gear AND get continual training. I've met similar folks at gas stations but I tend to ignore them. No point arguing with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:31 AM

Good inspirational video for promoting gear. Here is a video that inspires me to ride sensibly and with gear. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJtu...e_gdata_player
Old 01-05-2013, 10:36 AM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versys11 View Post
Good inspirational video for promoting gear. Here is a video that inspires me to ride sensibly and with gear. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJtu...e_gdata_player
Good video showing what can actually happen. Also a good video showing how lack of attention and following too close can cost you.

Just my $.02, that crash was 100% avoidable. Straight road, truck slowing with trailer.. I wasn't there so there may be more than the video is showing.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:50 AM

Definitely looks avoidable to me too. The camera guy was taken out by the flying guys bike. Goes to show that foolish riding can harm others too. What scares me is how his jacket flew up exposing his white t shirt underneath. Even with gear there is risk. Makes you wonder why anyone would decide not to wear it.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 AM

Wow, that bike hit the other bike after it hit the trailer! Dudes are going fast!

Because of this forum I ATGATT!

Thanks to my fellow riders!

Last edited by MTS; 01-05-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:52 AM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Some insightful person once said there are limits to intelligence but none to stupidity. How true, yes, no?

It was rather revealing to note that every rider we noticed, regardless of type or size of bike, in the Isle of Man last September (long after all the TT spectators had left the island) wore full gear - many wore full leathers. Perhaps the reason was that we didn't see a single Harley.

IMHO the most disturbing aspect is that Harley riders seem to dress the way they do is because it's the way Harley riders are supposed to dress. Witness Sturgis where one can find corporate lawyers and neurosurgeons and CEOs of well known businesses wearing their Harley outfits because it's expected. It reminds me of the Smothers Brothers old song "I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy. So get yourself an outfit and be a cowboy too."

I'm not anti-Harley - I've owned one or two in years past. I'm, at worst, anti-stupidity so I have difficulty understanding why anyone would willingly ignore basic safety for the sake of image. It must be a personal shortcoming on my part because I've done some stupid things in my life.

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 01-05-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:18 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

ATGATT is the only way to ride IMHO, and I have that opinion from experience.

In Oct. 2010 I crashed totaling the bike I was riding. My injuries were 8 broken ribs and bruises, but no road rash due to the gear I was wearing at the time and I did slide on the pavement.

Almost everyone on the hospital staff that I encountered during my stay were surprised that I was in a motorcycle accident and did not suffer from road rash. When I would tell them about ATGATT I usually heard a story of a rider with half of their face ground off or some other similiar tale.

No one plans on crashing. The key is ATGATT if a crash occurs.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 PM

ATGATT

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 PM

2007 Kawasaki Versys 650 2007
Default Riding gear.

I have just returned from 12 days in Brisbane, Australia. We traveled the motorways a lot. I was amazed at the large number of motorcyclists weaving in and out of motorway traffic wearing only a helmet, a singlet, shorts and jandels (thongs). The speed limit was 100 - 110 and they were passing us. I also saw a boy and girl on a scooter zapping around a busy town, He was in shorts and jandels, she in bikini and jandels.
My "minimum" apparel is sneakers, jeans, leather jacket, gloves and helmet. Had gravel rash when i was young, never again if i can help it.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:37 PM

Kawasaki 2011 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitourer View Post
My "minimum" apparel is sneakers, jeans, leather jacket, gloves and helmet. Had gravel rash when i was young, never again if i can help it.
Lose the sneakers and move to a good leather boot... In a crash, sneakers are right up there with those jandals IMHO.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:46 AM

2007 Kawasaki 650 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
I'm not sure about the ethics of carrying a picture of the patient you had to treat, but showing dude man at the gas station a picture like that and saying I'm sure he thought the same as you before he went down, would get the message across faster than any words (especially wanker )

No point arguing with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!
I don't take pictures of patients. Don't quite know why you thought I'd carry a picture of someone who died I never knew either.
That borders on the very disturbed and very unethical professionally also dude.. he started on me for my gear firstly at the servo.. that's what got me going...

I've lost enough mates on the bikes in front of me on-road and off-road and don't carry those pictures around either that myself or other people on the ride took.

I've always liked being able to look back at a picture of a bad crash I've had that someone else took and appreciated them doing so as it kept the moment which was usually pretty BIG and life changing at sometimes..

I've always assumed my mates were going to live too...

If pointing out the obvious saves someones bacon then fair argument I'd say.. Though the leader of the proud people always learned the hardest way. And beating that argument with experience is bull**** in any book. Tell Vale that and get his opinion.

I have taken a few of mates taking pictures of me after an accident though from the ground pt's point of view and as a laugh to relieve the moment all round..
seems to get the tension down for those stressing that they were pushing too hard and may have caused it too..

Last edited by crow; 01-06-2013 at 03:02 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:08 AM

2009 Kawasaki Versys
Default Atgatt

Simple. A veteran rider summed it up nicely for me: "Sweat or bleed." Certainly not worth an argument.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2013, 07:37 AM

Kawasaki Versys

Personally, I think there are times when it just gets too hot to wear full riding kit. I know this won't find favour from those on here, but I've ridden plenty of times where I have put my personal comfort before being fully kitted out in case something goes wrong. I find that when you become unbearably hot while riding, it's actually distracting as all you start to focus on is how hot/sweaty you are, where can you take a break for something cooling and less on your riding. I'm not condoning shorts, T-shirt and flipflops, and I know that a pair of denims and a light jacket don't really cut it, but that's my choice and I hope I ride accordingly when I don't have the correct gear on. Plus some riders think they're putting on a cloak of invincibility when they are geared up which is just as dangerous as not wearing any kit.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:06 AM

2007 Kawasaki

I ride in full gear myself and put on about 24,000klm's/year rain or shine and can say I too have run into the pirate who want's to tell me 'how it is' in the riding world.

Most pirates just want to talk about bikes so they can fish for a compliment regarding theirs. Some do on the odd chance just want to talk about bikes.

I'll never start the negative comments or judge another mans bike but I will finish the conversation if I feel I'm being insulted.

My standard line is this:

"Nice bike, shame about the penis".

IBA# 38547
Old 01-06-2013, 08:07 AM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
I'm not condoning shorts, T-shirt and flipflops, and I know that a pair of denims and a light jacket don't really cut it, but that's my choice and I hope I ride accordingly when I don't have the correct gear on.
Hey Davy, you are not alone! In the heat of the summer, I only wear breathable Bates boots, jeans, mesh jacket and mesh gloves. Not the most protective gear available, but at least everything is covered. We are fortunate these days that we have a wide selection of protective gear made for all climates and different abrasion resistance. We all have to way our protective choices against our willingness to use them. A super resistant Kevlar suit does no good in the closet.

Not all crashes and wrecks are high speed slides. There are plenty of situations where even light duty gear can help the rash but may not prevent all of it.

Be safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement