Blizzard? Who cares? LET RIDE!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Member's Lounge > Off Topic Discussions

Off Topic Discussions For all of your off topic talk and just general B.S. Jokes, funny stories, etc...

Old 12-31-2012, 11:00 AM

Default Blizzard? Who cares? LET RIDE!!

The weatherman seem taken aback. BUT Ural's are cool I want one, just not as my only ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tDkLmU0U6D8
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 11:33 AM

Ha ha, now that's representing the riding community!

I've seen a guy ride a small sidecar rig during the snow but never see him riding any other time.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:04 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Not for me but, That's Great!!

Haha, the weatherman said "ride it out" at the very end...
Old 12-31-2012, 02:04 PM

Kawasaki 2011 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Not for me but, That's Great!!

Haha, the weatherman said "ride it out" at the very end...
Kirk... You know how miserable some Virginia winters can get... I rode a Honda SL125 to and from work from Baileys Crossroads to downtown Alexandria during the entire winter of 1973/74... about 12 miles each direction... Rain/Shine/Snow/Sleet/Whatever. It was cold and miserable and also one of the best winters of my life!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:31 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
Kirk... You know how miserable some Virginia winters can get... I rode a Honda SL125 to and from work from Baileys Crossroads to downtown Alexandria during the entire winter of 1973/74... about 12 miles each direction... Rain/Shine/Snow/Sleet/Whatever. It was cold and miserable and also one of the best winters of my life!
Glad it was one of your best winters!

I do indeed know about how bad VA winters can get. When I was 18, I bought my first motorcycle (I had no car). My parents were really against motorcycles but said when I turned 18, I was an adult and could buy one.

That winter, I rode every day to work / college. I was damn cold. I did have a snow mobile suit to help, but no really good gloves or boots. I rode on some slick roads that year. I decided that very winter that it would be my last winter using a motorcycle as my primary vehicle. Now my motorcycle is for fun only. I ride when its nice. I ride to work if the weather is looking good and on evenings and weekends as well. During the winter, I do venture out on the warmer days but my bike stays parked most of it. These bones don't handle the cold like they did when I was a teen.

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 12-31-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:19 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I do indeed. When I was 18, I bought my first motorcycle (I had no car). My parents were really against motorcycles but said when I turned 18, I was an adult and could buy one.

That winter, I rode every day to work / college. I was damn cold. I did have a snow mobile suit to help, but no really good gloves or boots. I rode on some slick roads that year. I decided that very winter that it would be my last winter using a motorcycle as my primary vehicle. Now my motorcycle is for fun only. I ride when its nice. I ride to work if the weather is looking good and on evenings and weekends as well. During the winter, I do venture out on the warmer days but my bike stays parked most of it. These bones don't handle the cold like they did when I was a teen.
Capn, I salute you for your tenacity as a youth and your wisdom of accumulated annuation. Having bones of a similar era -- I suspect -- I concur; further, I can attest to the fact that they don't seem to heal so readily as they did in youth.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Versys View Post
Capn, I salute you for your tenacity as a youth and your wisdom of accumulated annuation. Having bones of a similar era -- I suspect -- I concur; further, I can attest to the fact that they don't seem to heal so readily as they did in youth.

Yeah Buddy on that! I tell people I haven't been a Bouncing Baby Boy in a long LONG time. Now it sounds more like someone drop a bag full of beer bottles when I hit the ground!

I lived in the Charlottesville area for years and was a firefighter there. Yes the winters could be a real joy at times. I remember 5" of ICE one year and close to 3' of snow another. Then many that were cold with almost no snow or ice.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:23 PM

Back in '63, during an Alberta winter (DAMN COLD!) I decided I'd ride my Bonneville to the gas station I worked at, steam clean it, let it dry out for a week, then back to the garage to work on a CLEAN bike! It was between -30F and -40F. I got it started and got about 2 blocks when the throttle cables started freezing-up.

I reversed course, parked it in the garage dirty, and gave up on THAT idea!

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 01-01-2013, 01:07 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
t was between -30F and -40F.
That is beyond cold!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:56 PM

Kawasaki 2011 Versys

I worked on FB-111A SAC Bombers in the early 1980's at Plattsburgh AFB at the top of Lake Champlain in NY. If an aircraft in the alert area needed attention... It got worked... No exceptions. One February night me and one of my men spent an hour or so on a B-1 stand doing flux valve work at 40 below zero... Not wind chill... Ambient temperature. No motorcycle those days... I can't imagine riding one in those temps... Not even a couple of blocks.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I worked on FB-111A SAC Bombers in the early 1980's at Plattsburgh AFB at the top of Lake Champlain in NY. If an aircraft in the alert area needed attention... It got worked... No exceptions. One February night me and one of my men spent an hour or so on a B-1 stand doing flux valve work at 40 below zero... Not wind chill... Ambient temperature. No motorcycle those days... I can't imagine riding one in those temps... Not even a couple of blocks.
Cold enuf to freeze the balls off a Jeep...!

Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
I worked on F-14's at Oceana in VA Beach through a few winters. The flight line was never that cold but we got down in the 20's & teens. Trying to start a blind bolt when you cant feel your fingers is a bitch! I can't begin to imagine negative numbers!

I remember several time standing behind the jets getting warmed up by jet exhaust. Dang you never forget the smell of JP-5.

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 01-02-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

I remember boarding a C 141 to hitch a ride thinking Im on my way south towards the caribean. When last minute orders detour the plane to make a pickup. Pilot said stay with me Ill get you to a place where you can hitch a ride home. After what felt like an eternity we finally landed.

In Elmendorf AFB.... in February at night with nothing but summer gear on. Got out of the plane while it was loaded with something we were not allow to see, got fuel and took off again.

First and last time in Alaska. After that I promise myself never.to try to hitch a ride in a military plane and fly commercial instead.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 PM

Cold...?

For me that was when I was taking my Advanced Flying in the RCAF on the T-33 in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, in the winter of 1968-69. You'd get the walk-around check done, get strapped in, then sit at 90 degrees to the wind, canopy up while you waited for the starter to come. Weather around -30 to -40F. You could NOT put the O2 mask on as you'd freeze the valves, so just your fur collar for a wind-break. Once started you'd close the canopy, which cut the wind-chill, but it was STILL colder'n' a ratzass, and NO heat till you set take-off power.

GAWD it was GREAT!!!

Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 PM

Some good stories. I am familiar with a cold ride or two and some military stories too. Some of the best people I know with me loading torpedoes. My friends coffee thermos shattered when the wind blew across it. Filled his cup of joe with glass. Good day though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	090115-N-8467N-003.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	16539  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement