Intermittent Headlamp Problem - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > General Kawasaki Versys Discussions

General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:26 AM

Default Intermittent Headlamp Problem

The other day when leaving work I noticed my headlamp was not working. Checked the fuse and it was okay, but swapped it out anyway. Still not working. All other lights on the bike worked fine including full beam. I put some tape over the headlight so I could ride home with full beam on and not blind anyone. When I got home I noticed my headlamp was now working

Next morning, when leaving for work headlamp was working.
That night, when leaving work it was not. Put on full beam and started making my way home but decided to checked headlamp before I got out of the parking lot and it was working again

I started to have a theory that I have validated twice now. If I start the bike without touching the throttle the headlamp does not come on. Give it a blip of the throttle and on it comes. It seems as if there is not enough juice to fire up the lamp unless I give it some gas, but once on it stays on. If I switch the bike off after riding and start again with no throttle the lamp comes on.

Any ideas what is going on??? Is this a sign of the stator problem? I have a 2011 with approximately 26,000 miles

Last edited by alba; 12-19-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 03:49 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

I've had that problem, started with a bad stator found after the bike wouldn't start.

After changing the stator and rectifier with aftermarket parts, about 5,000 miles later I kept burning out headlamps.

Found out the rectifier was pumping out 18V!

Changed the rectifier, all was well for about 2 weeks, then intermittant headlights.

Rectifier ok, stator ok, battery charging normally, fuses ok.

Changed the relay package.......then the low didn't work at all.

Changed the starter relay.......everything works.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=21079

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20241

Funny thing is, this morning driving to work..........no low beam (10,000 miles since the starter magnetic switch replacement), I'm hoping its just normal bulb burnout!!!

A2ron
Charleston, SC
Old 12-20-2012, 05:03 AM

2008 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys Blue/Silver

Try getting a voltmeter to check your battery (12.8V) and charging system (about 14.2-14.5 V) about 2000 rpm and above.

It's maybe a short circuit somewhere, loose fuse or a faulty relay.

Ride safe,
Old 12-20-2012, 12:49 PM

Sounds like a bad bulb
Old 12-20-2012, 03:19 PM

I initially thought it might be the bulb but the fact that revving the engine has turned it on twice makes me suspect it's not getting enough juice. Past 2 starts the lamp has come on so I've not been able to check that anymore.

I will check the voltage this weekend and let you know the results.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:05 PM

Had that same problem with my low beam light. I would bang on it and it would fix. Took the bulb out and put it back together nice and tight and fixed the problem. Amazing what WD40 and a little torque can fix.
cheers
jet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement