Riding with an iPod? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Rider's Gear

Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Old 12-19-2012, 09:23 AM

Default Riding with an iPod?

I know some people do this. I wear a modular helmet myself and wear ear plugs and enjoy the ride just fine. Is listening to music with earphones safe? What's it like? Can you hear what you need to hear in the traffic flow? I was just wondering. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 09:43 AM

first...in SOME areas having earbuds in both ears is illegal
when I tried it I found that it was too distracting & isolating
but that's just me
Old 12-19-2012, 10:26 AM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

I tried ear buds and didn't like that I couldn't hear much outside of the music. I have speakers now in my helmet that work much better for me.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:26 AM

2008 Kawasaki versys
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41

I got a nolan n104 modular helmet with a B4 bluetooth system and listen to music via my samsung galaxy S2 phone and it work great, can recieve calls, listen to FM radio, talk to a friend via intercom system up to 800 m range as he has similar set up.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:28 AM

When I rode with actual earbud style earphones I could one use one at a time. Having both in killed my situational awareness and freaked me out. I've since installed some speakers in my helmet- which allow for a much greater combination of my music AND what's going on around me. In NYC traffic this is crucial. Very happy with my current setup...
Old 12-19-2012, 11:50 AM

What speakers/helmet combination are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
When I rode with actual earbud style earphones I could one use one at a time. Having both in killed my situational awareness and freaked me out. I've since installed some speakers in my helmet- which allow for a much greater combination of my music AND what's going on around me. In NYC traffic this is crucial. Very happy with my current setup...
Old 12-19-2012, 12:00 PM

Default earbuds

Try these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	362.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	16404  
Old 12-19-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makopolo View Post
What speakers/helmet combination are you using?
I have an HJC Symax 3 and some custom (read old, unused, repurposed) Sony headphones:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=21552

That thread shows the install on my HJC Symax 2, but it's the same thing to install on the 3.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1313 View Post
Try these.
Those would have to be the most uncomfortable ear pieces ever under a helmet.

When I am going on a 40+ min ride I will usually wear my ear buds and listen to music. They are ScullCandy Asyms. I have foam caps on the end which block out most of the road noises.

When I am not wearing the buds I wear ear plugs and they block out just as much of my surrounding sounds. I do not crank the music very loud, just enough to have background tunes.
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Old 12-19-2012, 07:59 PM

2009 Kawasaki versys

I agree with the helmet speakers they give just the right amount of sound without being distractive.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:20 PM

I have HJC full face helmet and Scala G4 rider system. It's bluetooth connected to my GPS which has Sirius/Xm on as well as the ability to broadcast upto 4 FM radio stations or an MP3. I found using my ipod was distracting, but with this setup it's simple, the sound adjusts to surrounding noise, I can sync it with my phone as well to recieve calls (it's a PITA though) and I can push button adjust the volume as well. Rechargeable in a few hours on a wall plug.
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/130183.png
Old 12-20-2012, 06:07 AM

2008 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys Blue/Silver

Love riding with music with my sony ear plugs using my nokia E72 phone. Just loud enough to hear what's going on around me.

Would suggest to try it once to see if you like it. It is not for everyone.

Ride safe,
Old 12-20-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
Is the HJC helmet quiet enough that you're not destroying your hearing since you're not wearing earplugs?

Last edited by prim8; 12-20-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
Is the HJC helmet quiet enough that you're not destroying your hearing since you're not wearing earplugs?
Totally. The Symax 2 was noticeably louder, and the 3 seems nice and quiet (for a modular). Initially I was concerned with the setup not being loud enough- turns out it's louder than I've needed. I tend to be VERY careful about my hearing as I'm a musician, so no- no blasting required for good sound...

Also- If any of you cats are interested in some tunes:

https://soundcloud.com/goat12/sets/r...etches/s-FKf4o
Old 12-31-2012, 04:21 PM

Try Er-6 earplugs, they have a low profile and work quite well. That way you can lose your hearing the old fashioned way - rock n roll instead of wind noise!

So many bikes, so little dinero
Old 12-31-2012, 05:00 PM

Like riding with the music on myself, but I've yet to see a comfortable earplug. Tried quite a few but none of them worked. Answer for me was the SENA smh10 headset which works flawlessly, but your helmet also has to accomodate the earpiece, so cutouts, or that molded ear design is a must. Wife had a hard time with hers in an AGV for example ( but perfect in an X-lite 802) so check your helmet prior. Some headsets, like scala rider come with thinner earpieces that helps too. The sound quality is good , won't compete with a high-end Sennheiser fully tucked in your ear, but enjoyable, loud enough if you want and still be able to hear your surroundings. In my opinion a good headset beats the most comfortable earphone any day. Plus if its a single unit its not much difference in price either.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:13 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
Theres is no such a thing as a quiet helmet. Some are louder than others. I onwed both the Symax II and the III. The Symax III is much better on the noise department than the II. However, I would not ride without earplugs regardless of which helmet I am wearing. I use a scala team to keep in touch with my wife while riding. Interestingly I can hear her better when Im wearing my earplugs. I wonder if the same will work for music. Turning down the ambient noise let you hear what you are interested better.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 01-01-2013, 11:08 PM

2011 Kawasaki Versys

I've done 13,000 miles in the past 13 months and although I have helmet speakers in my Arai XD4... I only use them to Bluetooth my GPS on longer trips... The miles and miles (including 5600 on a 19 day outing) without anything but my thoughts and the road are what I like best. Music on a motorcycle is overrated... But then again, I'm an old fart.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:37 AM

I personally find the sena smh10 system phenomenal for iPod music, phone calls and unit to unit communication. I find the speakers are just far enough back from my ears that I don't need to blast the music.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
I've done 13,000 miles in the past 13 months and although I have helmet speakers in my Arai XD4... I only use them to Bluetooth my GPS on longer trips... The miles and miles (including 5600 on a 19 day outing) without anything but my thoughts and the road are what I like best. Music on a motorcycle is overrated... But then again, I'm an old fart.
I'm with you. I 'sing' to myself on long trips (NOT well, tho'...).

Here's a funny: on my '09 Alaska adventure I started singing "Don't Forget to Dance" by the Kinks, but could only remember a small part of the words. Once I got home I set up the CD player in my shop to play that song over-and-over, so I'd remember the words. Listened that way for DAYS....

STILL can't remember all the words!

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement