Decision time! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > General Kawasaki Versys Discussions

General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:00 PM

Default Decision time!

I hate these decisions sometimes, anyways I'm looking for a middleweight bike, currently own a Fatbob and love it for what it is, but I also love middleweights!
I'm 99% sure I want another V, especially the newer ones, my local dealer has a yellow and black V, I can get it out the door with a two brothers exhaust (I'm supplying, don't ask lol) installed for free for 7600.

I did recently look at the tiger 800 and 800xc and from the other thread on here you know I prefer the way the V makes its power,
But I also stopped by another dealer today and sat on a 2012 KTM SMT 990
Felt great, have not ridden it, it has double the hp and probably twice the suspension quality but its also twice as much, 14k out the door.

I want the KTM but feel its crazy to pay double, any thoughts?
Also just for the heck of it, does anyone here prefer the new Suzuki sv650?.
2007 Buell XB STT Lightning (Sold)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Harley Fatbob (Current)
2007 Triumph Speedmaster (Sold)
2008 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Yamaha Raider (Sold)
2008 Suzuki M109R (Sold)
2006 Yamaha Warrior (Sold)
2004 Triumph America (Sold)
2002 Suzuki DRZ400S (Sold)
1972 Kawasaki 100 Enduro (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 06:45 PM

Not sure about Suzuki sv650. But my opinion on the KTM is ride that thing and if you like it and can aford it buy it! They are good bike and you only live once! Go for it!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:05 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANYONWLF7 View Post
I ... currently own a Fatbob
I can't get past that name. I can see it now... tellin' the fella's at work... "I ride a FatBob!".. I suggest it would be more fun to ride a "FatBertha" or maybe "Little Susie!" depending on your build. Each would be a unique story.

Quote:
I want the KTM but feel its crazy to pay double, any thoughts?
Yes and No. If you have the means without borrowing a bunch of money, I say go for it. If you have to borrow a lot, I would get the less expensive option. Twice the HP for twice the $? There is no way I would spend $14000 for any bike unless I was planning on making a BUNCH of long distance trips and then I would be looking at a wing. If it has twice the HP as the V, I know I would be much more tempted to get into some trouble with a twisty wrist!

Justifying the urge for a different motorcycle is a weird and often a compulsive decision. I have rode a bike for years and all of a sudden, I gotta sell and try something different. Hell, I almost sold my V for the new Honda...
Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 PM

Yes even the Capn lost his head for awhile! Take your time it will all come together!

These motorcycles can be as bad as girls back in high school! LOL
Old 12-18-2012, 07:19 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Will you get double the value/entertainment out of the KTM? I love KTM offroad bikes but always buy them used so there is only a small premium over others.

14k sounds nuts to me for a toy but is pocket change to others. Buy what you are happy with and enjoy the heck out of it.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:32 PM

Cpt Kirk is correct. Don't be dumb with your money.
The SMT is so sweet, I'd love to have one, but it just wasn't in my budget. In a few years, the used bikes with ABS (model year 2011+) will be available. I'll snatch one up. Then I'll complete the pumpkin patch in my garage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I can't get past that name. I can see it now... tellin' the fella's at work... "I ride a FatBob!".. I suggest it would be more fun to ride a "FatBertha" or maybe "Little Susie!" depending on your build. Each would be a unique story.

Yes and No. If you have the means without borrowing a bunch of money, I say go for it. If you have to borrow a lot, I would get the less expensive option. Twice the HP for twice the $? There is no way I would spend $14000 for any bike unless I was planning on making a BUNCH of long distance trips and then I would be looking at a wing. If it has twice the HP as the V, I know I would be much more tempted to get into some trouble with a twisty wrist!

Justifying the urge for a different motorcycle is a weird and often a compulsive decision. I have rode a bike for years and all of a sudden, I gotta sell and try something different. Hell, I almost sold my V for the new Honda...
Old 12-18-2012, 11:36 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versysy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Yes even the Capn lost his head for awhile! Take your time it will all come together!

These motorcycles can be as bad as girls back in high school! LOL
well said sir. Take your time.

Bike are as bad as High school girls...

Old 12-19-2012, 12:41 AM

You're lucky that the SMT is only twice the amount for a V over there. Over here it's THRICE!!!

That being said, i'd love to have the SMT as an upgrade to the V.
- Front Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master pump - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS Brake lines - Osram Nightbreakers+ low, Osram Hyper Rallye 65W high - LED 30w spotlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
Old 12-19-2012, 02:47 PM

All I know is, I WANT TO BE YOU!

Jeez man - 12 bikes in 12 years?? Must be nice to have so many ladies
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
Old 12-19-2012, 03:10 PM

The V is sooo hard to beat in the fun/value ratio and even not talking $ it is so fun easy to own and ride. If you can afford it and really want it get the KTM but just remember the maintenance issue. I saw on ADV where a guy said he got a BMW because it was less expensive to own than the KTM he'd had!

http://www.ktmsmt.com/viewforum.php?f=3
Old 12-19-2012, 03:33 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
If it has twice the HP as the V, I know I would be much more tempted to get into some trouble with a twisty wrist!

+1 on the "twice the HP" comment....that new 9 second 1/4 mile ZX 14 sounds like fun...3rd gear no clutch roll-on power wheelies at 90 mph does sound like fun, right?
If I didn't kill myself first, there would be wanted pictures of me in your local Post Office....

My ears also "perked up" (think dogs) when that new Honda 700 came out...now that I've "cooled off" (wasn't "weird and compulsive"), that motorcycle boors me...not at all my cup of tea from all I have read and heard. I prefer "punchy" over "economical" when it comes to motorcycles and motorcycle engines. Besides, I still push 50mpg on my V and that's economical enough for me.
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:37 AM

[QUOTE=Capn Kirk;223950]I can't get past that name. I can see it now... tellin' the fella's at work... "I ride a FatBob!".. I suggest it would be more fun to ride a "FatBertha" or maybe "Little Susie!" depending on your build. Each would be a unique story.

Heard harleys coming out with Big Slob and it has one hell of alot of crome! Can I put you down for one when they come in Capn? LOL

I do like Harleys for what they are!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
But I also stopped by another dealer today and sat on a 2012 KTM SMT 990
Felt great, have not ridden it, it has double the hp and probably twice the suspension quality but its also twice as much, 14k out the door.
If at all possible, do a test ride before you commit to the KTM, especially considering the price. (Although "commit" may not be an appropriate word to apply to you and motorcycles. )

I have not ridden the current SMT but rode the predecessor. Thought I'd like it but just didn't. I primarily blame the bias that I'm picking up in old age, which prefers "capability" over "character."

I guess the two questions I'd suggest you consider are these:

Since the KTM is most similar to your Buell among your former bikes, how did you feel about the Buell?

What do you plan to do with the bike and how will its raucous nature and seat and lack of wind protection fit those plans?
Old 12-21-2012, 03:36 PM

One reason I went with the Versys over the KTM or BWM was cost of repairs and the dealer network. There's 1 BMW dealer about 50 miles from me he's also a KTM dealer and he's the closest. Within 50 miles of my door there are 6 Kawasaki dealers. Makes a big difference to me having had a Buell and finding dealers were few and far between was a pain.

Yea a Tiger, GSA or KTM may be a bit swanker BUT the Versys will be easier and cheaper to keep on the road. Not that any of the other are known problem rides just the dealer network is slimmer for them.
Advertisement