2013 drz-400sm - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Member's Lounge > Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion

Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:57 AM

Default 2013 drz-400sm

Just put my deposit down on the suzuki drz-400sm. Dealer said it should be here sometime in mid feb. Still going to keep the versys.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...i-DRZ400SM.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
Just put my deposit down on the suzuki drz-400sm. Dealer said it should be here sometime in mid feb. Still going to keep the versys.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...i-DRZ400SM.htm
Nice bike !

Any idea the power involve ?
Torque ?

Ciao

LOP
Old 12-14-2012, 11:42 AM

That was my first streetbike. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The downsides become apparent pretty quickly- As a 1 cylinder that lacks a 6th gear it is not an ideal highway bike. Don't get me wrong- it'll hold 75+ on the highway, but it'll be wayyyy up in the gear, and I found myself wishing for a 6th immediately. That said it's a wildly fun bike around town and very capable on a track. Have fun and ride safe!
Old 12-14-2012, 11:52 AM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Nice looking bike. Strikes me though that the passenger has to have a really small butt to fit on that tiny little pad.

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Old 12-14-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
That was my first streetbike. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The downsides become apparent pretty quickly- As a 1 cylinder that lacks a 6th gear it is not an ideal highway bike. Don't get me wrong- it'll hold 75+ on the highway, but it'll be wayyyy up in the gear, and I found myself wishing for a 6th immediately. That said it's a wildly fun bike around town and very capable on a track. Have fun and ride safe!
Thats what I wanted just a toy to ride around the mountain roads where I live. Will never carry a pax. just something to play on when I feel anti social .I had a 86 yamaha xt600 bored out to 650 set up for the street with ohlins rear shock and works fork springs.I ran metzler 100% street tires . Was one of the funnest bikes I ever owned. The only reason I sold it it was a bear to kick start. Guess I'am just getting old.lol
Hoping the drz will fill the void.

Last edited by turn8a; 12-14-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Nice bike !

Any idea the power involve ?
Torque ?

Ciao

LOP
I was way off at 50 sorry .
from

craigercj
Stock HP is more in the low 30's, and re-jetting it will get you a couple ponies. But it's a low maintenance bike and it's a blast even without mx bike performance.

Last edited by turn8a; 12-14-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 PM

Nice choice! A sumo is possibly the most fun a person can have on 2 wheels (or 1!)

Stock HP is more in the low 30's, and re-jetting it will get you a couple ponies. But it's a low maintenance bike and it's a blast even without mx bike performance.

A 16T front makes it bearable for sustained 65MPH+.

The DRZ forums on thumpertalk is a great resource; check out the FAQ section. There are some 'fixes' and easy mods you may want to do right off the bat (locktite fixes and 3x3 mod). http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/17-dr-z-400/
'93 KX250
'82 IT175
'79 KE90

Last edited by craigercj; 12-14-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigercj View Post
Nice choice! A sumo is possibly the most fun a person can have on 2 wheels (or 1!)

A 16T front makes it bearable for sustained 65MPH+.

The DRZ forums on thumpertalk is a great resource; check out the FAQ section. There are some 'fixes' and easy mods you may want to do right off the bat (locktite fixes and 3x3 mod). http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/17-dr-z-400/
thanks!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
Thats what I wanted just a toy to ride around the mountain roads where I live. Will never carry a pax. just something to play on when I feel anti social .I had a 86 yamaha xt600 bored out to 650 set up for the street with ohlins rear shock and works fork springs.I ran metzler 100% street tires . Was one of the funnest bikes I ever owned. The only reason I sold it it was a bear to kick start. Guess I'am just getting old.lol
Hoping the drz will fill the void.
Then you've picked precisely the right bike!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:12 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

I've had two of them. Won't have another. If I learned anything it is not to throw a ton of money at them. You can replace about every part on those bikes with an upgrade. Don't do it.

Enjoy it for what it is. They are fun but just didn't have enough punch for me.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:02 PM

I had an '01 S I bought in '06. Fun bike. I was able to enjoy it for two years and get all but $250 of my money back out of it. Definitely not a distance or fast speed bike but if you use it for what it is designed for it is a lot of fun.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:39 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Love the colors! Have fun and post up when you get it!!

Versys Owners/Riders Map Here.

Add your name and see who's near you!

Old 12-14-2012, 09:37 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
I've had two of them. Won't have another. If I learned anything it is not to throw a ton of money at them. You can replace about every part on those bikes with an upgrade. Don't do it.

No kidding, great advice. I had a street legal XR650R that I spent waaay too much money on. If my wife knew how much, she would have wigged out. I am with you, the 400 wouldn't be enough power for me either. A friend of mine had one modded to the moon and still didn't hold a candle to the 650. If you are a smaller person, it may be fine though. I had a quad once with the same motor and it was stone reliable. Pin that throttle and have some fun.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post

AND, when you're finished you can pull the whole front-end off and put it onto your Versys, a la jdrocks!

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 12-16-2012, 06:57 AM

thanks guys for all the info . Still searching for that perfect bike for me .This makes bike #46 including all the minis I've had. If for some reason I don't like this bike ,the rumor mill has a couple of the manufactures bringing 2 strokes back in 2014 .Do I see bike # 47? lol
Old 12-16-2012, 09:29 AM

Nice choice, I would like to have one. I think it would be a fun bike to ride locally on/off road. If you don't like it, drop it off out here in Tyro ...lol
Old 12-16-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkPMB View Post
Nice choice, I would like to have one. I think it would be a fun bike to ride locally on/off road. If you don't like it, drop it off out here in Tyro ...lol
pm me we will have to go for a ride .I'm off of 8 in southmont.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:31 PM

The DR-Z400SM was one of my options when I was recently in the market for a new bike. I went for the Versys because it had more torque, which I need - having a build more suitable for a Harley (oooh, did I just say that?)
Old 12-16-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoscoddie View Post
The DR-Z400SM was one of my options when I was recently in the market for a new bike. I went for the Versys because it had more torque, which I need - having a build more suitable for a Harley (oooh, did I just say that?)
YUP - you said it! Now, the question is:
1. REALLY long, knuckle-dragging arms (for the "apehangers")?
2. REALLY short legs (for the 26" seat height)?
or
3. REALLY heavy for the HD H-D?

and HERE'S a "Harley"...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1AE76F188FF2B1913A90EF47EE31E9.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	16398  

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 12-16-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoscoddie View Post
thats funny....I have a harley also thought about the xr1200 but after going on a test ride was really not impressed.Plus instead of paying cash suzuki is offering 0% intrest .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement