Rode the Super Tenere today - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Member's Lounge > Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion

Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:32 AM

Default Rode the Super Tenere today

Here's the three word review: What a rocketship!

Test rode the bike at the Long Beach motorcycle show. Yamaha included a couple of Super Teneres in their sport bike test ride group, so I was riding with R1s, R6s, FJR1300s and even a VMax... and the ST ran with them like it was a sportbike! Ultra smooth engine with plenty of bottom end, great riding position, solid and stable feel at speed. And acceleration? Wow.

Great bike. Now I want one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 01:56 AM

2009 Kawasaki Versysy

ST are a class by themselves. only problem is the weight if you drop one down. Its like lifting a sitting elephant.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:46 AM

Kawasaki Versys

I rode the ST10 back in 2010. Having had the original ST750, I really wanted to like this bike. But honestly, it was a disappointment. Lacklustre engine, terrible seat and felt no better than the '05 12GS I had at the time. It handled nice, the shaft was better than the GS's and had good brakes, but overall, pretty ordinary. What it does have over the GS tho' is undoubted reliability.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 AM

I thought ST stood for Sport Touring. Acronyms Suck! Lead to much confusion and wrong assumptions. I deal with acronyms every day at work. When you ask what an acronym means you sometimes get different answers from different people.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:05 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber

I been looking at these...haven't rode one but the specs look great for the price point...

Halfthrottle
Old 12-10-2012, 10:16 AM

2009 Kawasaki '09.5 Blue

Well, like "V", a lot of bikes have the "ST" as shorthand for the name. It works best in dedicated forums. I think of the big Honda V4's. My buddy thinks we're talking about his Sprint. I like S10 but a lotta folks might think we were talking about old pickups. No, this S10 is actually bigger, and more expensive!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:13 AM

I think that all this shorthand stuff is destroying what few communication skills left in the world. JMO
steve
Old 12-10-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black dog View Post
i think that all this shorthand stuff is destroying what few communication skills left in the world. jmo
steve
iirc...lol! Ymmv

Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
Reading Material: motobones.com
Old 12-11-2012, 10:20 AM

Giwist
Old 12-11-2012, 12:56 PM

Guess it all started with "SNAFU" in WW2.

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 12-11-2012, 01:40 PM

If it's FUBAR..DILIGAF?
My concern is that the kids who hopefully take care of me can complete a thought more efficiently than they can communicate it.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:03 PM

I sat on one once at the dealership. It gave me the impression of having a lower center of gravity than the Versys. Wet weight is listed as 574lbs vs 450lb for the Versys, a difference of 120lbs.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:58 PM

There's a used Super Ten at a dealer near me. 500 miles, adjustable screen, crash bars, headlight protector screen, skid plate, LED turn signals. $11,500. Seems like a good price. I'm tempted.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:36 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

I can't imagine riding something that big and heavy offroad. I'll stick to the V for light gravel and the dual sport for offroad.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:37 PM

I have to chuckle at the weight comments. The three bikes I tested before I got on the Super Ten were the Star Stratoliner Custom, the Victory Cross Country Ness, and the Harley Fat Bob! So the Yamaha was feeling pretty sprightly by the time it's turn rolled around!

For my typical mission... canyon dancing on the weekends, grocery-getting on the weekdays... the Super Tenere is fabulous. It's like a Versys big enough for me and a passenger and gear ('cause I'm pretty big myself)...!

And $11.5k for a used one with only 500 miles seems like a pretty good deal...
Old 12-12-2012, 07:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber

It is on the heavy side for a big Adv Bike. a GSA1200 weighs about 560lbs wet. The Tenere spec says 578. That's pretty hefty for a bike that's designed for some off-road use.

Halfthrottle

Last edited by offcamber; 12-13-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGreenie View Post
I have to chuckle at the weight comments. The three bikes I tested before I got on the Super Ten were the Star Stratoliner Custom, the Victory Cross Country Ness, and the Harley Fat Bob! So the Yamaha was feeling pretty sprightly by the time it's turn rolled around!

For my typical mission... canyon dancing on the weekends, grocery-getting on the weekdays... the Super Tenere is fabulous. It's like a Versys big enough for me and a passenger and gear ('cause I'm pretty big myself)...!

And $11.5k for a used one with only 500 miles seems like a pretty good deal...
And like the Versys, Yamaha says to not have side bags and top trunk installed at the same time.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:12 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys
Default Re: Rode the Super Tenere today

If you think the s10 is fast. Ride a triumph tiger explorer. Last summer I rode an s10 a 1200 GS and a tiger explorer back to back to back. Now Im a proud owner of a 2013 tiger explorer. Except for the ducati ms, everything else its just slow in comparison. Havent had a chance to ride ir hard yet. Still getting acquainted with it and mountain roads are still in wintees deep freeze. However, rode on a couple of nice and easy front range rides, triple digits in the tex comes so easy I scared myself more than once.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by Boricua; 03-09-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:32 PM

I ran into a dude on an ST at Moab UT. He said not best for off road but wanted shaft drive for longer trips! Makes sence! He said his other choice was the V.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
I ran into a dude on an ST at Moab UT. He said not best for off road but wanted shaft drive for longer trips! Makes sence! He said his other choice was the V.
The magazines all rate the Super Tenere the best off road bike of the big adventure bikes. I sat on the Yamaha and the Tiger Explorer at the same dealership. The Yamaha fit me better, but the Explorer has cruise control and can handle side and top bags at the same time.

I would have to sell a couple bikes to buy and equip either of the big adventure bikes though.
Advertisement