Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trail? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > General Kawasaki Versys Discussions

General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:43 PM

Default Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trail?

Anybody running these? I know there is lots of discussion on P2 and P3, but I have never seen these until today.
http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/in...source=message

http://www.revzilla.com/product/mich...-3-trail-tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batan View Post
Anybody running these? I know there is lots of discussion on P2 and P3, but I have never seen these until today.

If I remember correctly, the PR3 trails are meant for bikes with a 21" front and 18" rear. (not totally sure on the sizes though)
Old 09-24-2012, 05:03 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemisis714 View Post
If I remember correctly, the PR3 trails are meant for bikes with a 21" front and 18" rear. (not totally sure on the sizes though)
So, it could be just a different size? If so, that's really lame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Yeah looks brand new to me too, and also they seem to be using the regular PR3 pictures ...

but the revzilla link... maybe it's just me, but to say (at the bottom) that the PR3 trail is meant to be solely ridden on the road... wtf? why buy something with "trail" in the name if it's only meant for the road? epic advertisement fail imho.
I agree, that confused me too!
Old 09-24-2012, 06:51 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Michelin say the difference in the distribution of the different tire compounds. I think its a slightly modified PR3. I'm happy with the Pirelli Scorpion Trail.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:20 AM

Put them on our Tiger 800. They only come in one front size, 110/80 for 19" rims and one rear size, a 150/70 for 17" wheels. The most durable tire I have used in the last 10 years. The front PR3 Trail on the Tiger has over 5K and looks like it has half its wear left. And they grip well enough that I have left the Tiger's footpeg material on every mountain road from Knoxville to Asheville.

I just ripped the sides off a BT-16 on the Versys in 1100 miles so my riding style is decidedly unfriendly to rubber. Got the Bridgestone S20 front with a Dunlop Q2 170 rear right now and the Versys feels like it could hang with anything.

I have a 6th Gen VFR 800, a 2012 Tiger 800 and an 09 Versys with bunches of little mods. I choose the Versys more often than either of the other two. With lowered Concours' pegs (allen head bolts for feelers cause they live on the ground), throttle lock, Spencer seat, highway pegs on the crash bars and EBC brake pads the bike is a comfortable 450 mile-per-day mountain road warrior.

Go to http://xtremesportsphotography.photo...7&po=37&pc=757 and see the V in its native environment. Back and Next buttons will show The Girl chasing on the Tiger (that's why no sparks).

KEB
Old 09-29-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batan View Post

Michelin - Pilot Road 3 TRAIL tyres

X-Sipe Technology for adventure touring bikes.

For trail bikes ridden primarily on the road - All-season grip and outstanding mileage for adventure bikes like the BMW GS, Triumph Tiger 800 and Suzuki V-Strom

X-Sipe Technology - Drains water away from the contact patch, while breaking through water film on the road

2 Compound Technology - For optimized wear, the 2CT compound distribution on the rear tire has been adapted specifically for trail bikes.
Soft compound on the shoulders for cornering grip, harder compound in the center for durability.

Rather than on the normal Pilot Road 3 this:

SIZES
Front - 110/80R19 59 V Trail
Rear - 150/70ZR17 69 V Trail

No Video

Richard
Old 10-01-2012, 01:09 PM

2009 Kawasaki '09.5 Blue

Interesting... My experience with the PR2 rear was that it lost it's profile pretty quickly; I put flat spots on it from leaning it over a lot, at speed, on rough pavement. This one, with the change in compound areas would probably work better for me. I've used a 150 Rear Pirelli Scorpion Trail, the bike still handled great. We could easily use this rear with the standard PR3 front. The standard PR3 gets really great reviews for use in the wet.
It would seem that this is a really good size to make tires in these days, lotsa bikes that get ridden a lot. Probably even in the rain.

Nice Pics KEB!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:47 PM

2007 Kawasaki Versys

Motorcycle tires upset me. If I had to replace my car tires every 6000kms I would be even more cranky. I paid $80 each for car tires and get 40,000kms!! I just wore out a Pilot road 2 rear in 6000kms replaced it with Bridgestone 023, cost almost $300 installed and balanced. Others keep telling me "you gotta pay to play" and with only 2 tires you must have good ones. My wallet hurts, it was an expensive week last week, as i had to replace both sprockets and chain along with the tire after a 2 week solo trip around Newfoundland and Labrador... by the way.. pilot road 2 not the tires for Translabrador highway.. scary
Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsrob View Post
Motorcycle tires upset me. If I had to replace my car tires every 6000kms I would be even more cranky. I paid $80 each for car tires and get 40,000kms!! I just wore out a Pilot road 2 rear in 6000kms replaced it with Bridgestone 023, cost almost $300 installed and balanced. Others keep telling me "you gotta pay to play" and with only 2 tires you must have good ones. My wallet hurts, it was an expensive week last week, as i had to replace both sprockets and chain along with the tire after a 2 week solo trip around Newfoundland and Labrador... by the way.. pilot road 2 not the tires for Translabrador highway.. scary

Yeah.. motorcycle riding is a different way of life, and by different I mean more expensive.

I'm replacing the tires on my car today. I got nearly 90,000 miles out of them.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:14 PM

PR3 on my V. Great tires, better off blacktop than PR2 or stock dunlaps.

PR3 on my R1100 RT and soon on the R1200R. Good miles, good grip and good traction off on gravel roads.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement