Another Seat Concepts Review ;( - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Modifications - Cosmetic

Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

Old 07-24-2012, 07:19 PM

Default Another Seat Concepts Review ;(

Let's start with the pros:

- Firmer than the stock seat
- Raised front end makes for nutbag comfort
- Flattened pillion makes for easier bag mounting

Now for not-so-pros:

- Seat almost didn't want to go on. I had to force it a bit, but once there, the fit was snug
- Seat edges bite into the middle thigh somewhat, causing minor discomfort
- Riding position is all jacked:
- riding alot further back, now having to reach for the bars, very uncomfortable. More pressure on the grips and after about 20 minutes, my back was hurting. Perhaps a bar riser would correct this.
- riding maybe an inch higher, face full in the wind and no longer able to flatfoot at a stop.
- I don't feel as in-control as I did on the stock seat

I don't think I'll be comfortable with the new seat without spending more $$. Now the question is, do I go back to stock or buy a riser and see if it helps. I really love my V, but this seat makes me want to buy another bike.

If anyone wants to buy it, let me know. Only rode about 15 miles on it. All carbon fiber, standard foam.

Last edited by Denk; 07-24-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 07:39 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:07 PM

I have a Corbin, I also have Speedy's lowering link, and more importantly, his highway peg mounts. The highway pegs allow me to stretch my legs, it also changes the pressure points . Last Friday I had a total 6 1/2 hour ride, with a short break in the morning and one at noon for lunch, could have gone another couple hours.
My seat was supposedly designed for my inseam and weight, so I am looking at getting rid of the OEM seat.
Not being able to flatfoot, would be acceptable if the seat worked, however sounds like this seat isn't for you, what I would recommend is what I did, find someone with a seat and try it out. I borrowed a Corbin for a couple hours, returned it and ordered my seat. The seat keeps getting better!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:09 PM

It's funny, when I looked at the specs for the new Sargent seat, I rejected it because it didn't expand the seating area rearward, but that might be just the ticket for a lot of the riders here.

'12 Versys (yellow)

Previous bikes:
'04 DL1000
'02 KLR650
'01 Ducati M750
'79 Yamaha XS650
'78 Yamaha XS650
Twins rule!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I have a Corbin, I also have Speedy's lowering link, and more importantly, his highway peg mounts. The highway pegs allow me to stretch my legs, it also changes the pressure points . Last Friday I had a total 6 1/2 hour ride, with a short break in the morning and one at noon for lunch, could have gone another couple hours.
My seat was supposedly designed for my inseam and weight, so I am looking at getting rid of the OEM seat.
Not being able to flatfoot, would be acceptable if the seat worked, however sounds like this seat isn't for you, what I would recommend is what I did, find someone with a seat and try it out. I borrowed a Corbin for a couple hours, returned it and ordered my seat. The seat keeps getting better!

The Corbins Okay but out of the 5 different brands of seats i've bought it ranks 4th. The quality is lacking on the corbin the material on the lower portion of the seat rips easily. The holes and tears can be fixes easily with a tube of black shoe goo.

My Farkles......http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20013
My Video Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/weljo2001?feature=mhee
My Photos...http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/sets/

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 07-24-2012, 09:17 PM

from all the recent reviews it seems like the SC seat is a real hit or miss and that perhaps it's best suited to those who are taller, like in the 6'4" range and taller. It's not so great for me either at just a hair under 6'.

I'd love to try a corbin and the BMW seat that folks have modded.
Skidmarx hugger
A little bit of road rash
Old 07-25-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
The Corbins Okay but out of the 5 different brands of seats i've bought it ranks 4th. The quality is lacking on the corbin the material on the lower portion of the seat rips easily. The holes and tears can be fixes easily with a tube of black shoe goo.
I would be interested to hear what you think is best as well as your opinion on the pro's and con's of each.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:08 AM

I'm 6'02" and love my SC seat (once I got bar risers). I have no problems flatfooting at stops though. My seat also bit into my thighs for about 50 miles, but either the foam softened up some or my thighs got used to it because I have had no discomfort since. I also thought the sitting up higher made me feel less in control, but this also went away with more miles.

Seems to me the SC seat is either love it or hate it, with us tall riders loving it more than our height challenged brothers (and sisters). Lets face it. No single seat is going to be perfect for everyone. $168 seat is a cheap alternative to the $400+ custom ones out there.

I paid $168 for my seat. $45 for my risers. And $40 to have my seat installed. Even if I end up buying the 2in ROX risers that I'm considering, I'm still way cheaper than the price for one of the custom seat jobs.

In short, I love my SC seat.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:44 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber

I can't say I love my SC seat but for the money I guess I can't complain to much. I have tried the Sargent and the Kawi low gel seat, none of those worked for me. The SC seat alone felt to hard and didn't feel great on the thighs. I added an AirHawk ( I was using on the stock seat) and it helped a lot. I agree the SC seat does sit you back a bit far. I have installed speeds anti-vibe riser and I still think I need to adjust the bars a bit. Getting some numbness in my right hand.

Halfthrottle
Old 07-25-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I would be interested to hear what you think is best as well as your opinion on the pro's and con's of each.

#1 Terry Adcock Flat Seat. All Day Comfort. No Foward Slide. Able to move back on the seat because the hump has been removed.Most comfortable and least expensive of the lot. Great Quality.Not great for 2up because of removing most of the foam from the pillon area.But he does design a normal seat also.

#2 Baldwin. Very Comfortable.Great Quality. Only negative for me was the riders area was to short.I was up against or riding on the edge of the hump from the pillon area.

#3 Russell Day Long. Very Comfortable Ride Great Quality.With the wings on the seat when you come to a stop or stradle the bike it spreads your legs wider.So you have to slide to the tank to get you feet on the ground.If your having trouble flatfooting with the stock seat you won't be able to with the russell.

#4 Corbin More Comfortable Than Stock Seat.A little softer than a brick. Worst Build Quality of all the seats listed. Material around the lower edge of the seat wears and rips easily.

#5 Kawi Gel Seat. Similar to the Corbin but better build quality.Only reason it listed lower than the corbin is because the seat is so over priced.

My Farkles......http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20013
My Video Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/weljo2001?feature=mhee
My Photos...http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/sets/

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-25-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:41 PM

2012 Kawasaki Versys

I'm an SC owner..and at 6"1, I like it. I've added SW Motech risers as well. There is another thread here about the front of the SC seat rising too high, up to the gas tank.....and I agree. I think I'm going to take it back to the upholsterer and get it leveled off a bit...and since it's pinching my inner thighs a bit as well, get that shaved down.
Then I think it'll be Perfect.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:55 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Mine is shipping today so my fingers are crossed. I'm all legs so don't think the height will be an issue. Definitely a love/hate issue with this seat.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:12 PM

I just got mine. Installed the same day and hated my life during the installation. After one hour of cursing, pulling, stretching and stapling and re-stapling i had the cover on. The entire process would be a breeze if I had an air stapler or one that actually worked. The seat looks really good on the bike, no issues with fit. I am 6' 2" and 240lb, with the handlebar extender/dumper and by lowering the bar for better reach, the position is very confortable (seat allows you to seat further back and higher). As far as the seat comfort, I could not have wished for anyhting more than what I now have (afer 2.5hr drive and could go for another 2-2.5 hrs easy).

Last edited by amuser; 09-22-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:01 PM

My limit is about 2 hours before I need a break. I think this has more to do with my butt than it does the SC seat. I don't sit anywhere for more than 2 hours at a time.

The stock seat caused discomfort in less than 30 minutes.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:00 PM

I'm sending my seat into SC on Monday via UPS - letting them do the install. Spent a couple of hours this afternoon finding the right box (cut down 26" 4-bike wheels in a cardboard box tossed out from local sports shop), and carefully trimming it down to size, packing and sealing. I have to work next weekend so even if it's a 10-12 day turnaround, no problem. BTW, UPS wanted $19.95 for a cardboard box that would fit the seat - worth looking around and finding a recycled one. My next stop was going to be the local replacement home window dealer. :-)

The stock seat foam eventually broke in and was pretty good, but longer days were still uncomfortable, and I think the SC seat will do much better. I also like the Carbon Fiber material/look, especially compared to the fugly stock seat material. I guess this bike is still a keeper!

Last edited by Tigerpawed; 09-22-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
My limit is about 2 hours before I need a break. I think this has more to do with my butt than it does the SC seat. I don't sit anywhere for more than 2 hours at a time.

The stock seat caused discomfort in less than 30 minutes.
The stock seat would hurt as soon as I sat on it, I have room to put the boys in front of me rather than under me and the tail bone no longer takes on my entire weight. I wonder how much R&D Kawasaki put on the stock seat / body position and leaves me sceptical on future kawasaki bike purchases. Never had issues with Yamaha. SC rocks! Love my V now.

Last edited by amuser; 09-22-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
I'm sending my seat into SC on Monday via UPS - letting them do the install. Spent a couple of hours this afternoon finding the right box (cut down 26" 4-bike wheels in...
I should have done the same. Just wondering, did you remove the stock cover and foam before shipping? Taking the original staples off is very easy. SC just needs you pan and shipping costs would be much lower I imagine. And you get to keep original foam and cover in case something goes wrong in the future.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amuser View Post
I should have done the same. Just wondering, did you remove the stock cover and foam before shipping? Taking the original staples off is very easy. SC just needs you pan and shipping costs would be much lower I imagine. And you get to keep original foam and cover in case something goes wrong in the future.
That would have been a good idea, didn't think about it. Box is already taped up and ready to ship, so would rather not dork with it at this point. Plus, maybe having the original shape still on it is good for whomever is going to work on it. Dunno.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:16 PM

I was all ready to order a seat. Now this thread has made me doubt my decision.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:36 AM

SC Seat was too high for me, had me hunched over the bars with resultant neck & arm pain. Also dropped the bike at a stop as it was just too high.

Put the stock seat back and love it, also added a bar riser, love that too!

Sydney, Australia
2012 Kawasaki Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement