Does the lack of braking power make you want to sell?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > General Kawasaki Versys Discussions

General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:24 PM

Default Does the lack of braking power make you want to sell??

Just as the title asks... I am in love with the everything about my V with exception of the less than adequate brakes. I just don't feel safe on this bike in emergency situations or while riding roads where corners are not indicated. Shaving off speed just doesn't feel linear on the V.

I am a fairly experienced rider, however my last bike was a 2006 VFR800 with linked brakes and ABS. That bike stopped amazingly with or without a pillion. I have already purchased stainless lines for the front and rear, but I am tempted to not install as I might just sell the bike.

Does anyone else out there feel the same? This bike has so much potential, but I don't want invest in farkles when I could invest in something with a little more HP and stopping power.

To those with braided lines and upgraded pads: Was the difference truly night and day, or only moderately better? Because I can tell you I need a night and day difference in order to be bothered.

Please voice you opinions...

-P@
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 04:38 PM

I have a 2010 and no braking problems at all! What year bike do you have?
Old 07-05-2012, 05:00 PM

I have no issues with the brakes on my 2011.
Braided lines would be a nice upgrade.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbiotix View Post
or while riding roads where corners are not indicated
Why do you need signs to tell you what what speed to take a corner? I ride what I can see.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
Why do you need signs to tell you what what speed to take a corner? I ride what I can see.
Good for you.... back on topic.

My bike is a 2009 and I know I'm not the only one to complain about brakes.... Did they make any improvements to the '10 and up models??
Old 07-05-2012, 05:59 PM

I have never ridden a motorcycle with abs or linked brakes so I really do not know what I am missing . But I have never felt unsafe on the versys because of its braking system . Now I am going to have to go out and ride a bike with the abs and link brake system so I have something to compare it with .
Old 07-05-2012, 06:02 PM

I have a 2012 and think the brakes are just fine. BUT I also ride a KLR and it has the weakest brakes you NEVER want to bet your life on. I had a Buell and it would stop you like a brick wall but was prone to build up on the rotor and pulsing brakes that were very touchy until cleaned.

The Versys brakes will, and have, hauled me down very quickly indeed without fuss or bother. I do plan on SS lines if for nothing else than the better feel and feed back they offer.

Without meaning to sound like a ass could you be more use to ABS? Just grab a big handfull and let the computer do it's thing? I drove my car that had ABS like that and it took a bit to relearn braking for myself.

You could just need new pads and fresh fluid. Why not install the lines and a set of pads, grease the caliper pens with high temp grease for giggles while you're at it. Then bed them in and see if things are better. I'd also take the bike to a empty parking lot some where and try hard stops until you learn what it can do in a controlled area. Might be all you need OR you might find you're gut feeling was right and the brakes are not what you want.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:06 PM

I have a 2011 and have had to make a few quick stops. I don't notice any worse braking than any other bike I've owned.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:20 PM

Upgraded my calipers to a nissin 4-pot and I'm happy that i did. Vast improvement over stock. Now I'm waiting for a 19mm pump off a Triumph Daytona to be shipped.
- Front Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master pump - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS Brake lines - Osram Nightbreakers+ low, Osram Hyper Rallye 65W high - LED 30w spotlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
Old 07-05-2012, 07:22 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:25 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys
Default Brakes??

I've just installed 4 pot differential Tokico calipers from an 2003 GSXR 600 on my Versys as steel braided lines and aftermarket pads didn't cut it for me. I absolutely love this bike, but for my riding style it needed better front brakes. Installed with fresh Galfer G1375 pads and haven't ridden enough to bed them in? I do already notice an improvement in feel and somewhat better power. These caliper sets are readily available on e-bay under $100 a set. brackets are a simple fabrication.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:05 PM

Sounds like there are a few who are experiencing the same thing as I.

I guess for me the best way to describe the lack of "feel" is as such: On the Versys as you apply the brakes the amount of traction provided by the brakes does not feel equivelant to the amount of pressure applied. On my bike it isn't until just before full lock-up that the brakes actually feel like they are doing a good job at slowing. It makes lower speed cornering annoying, and reduces your confidence at higher speeds as you are always treading on that fine line of the brakes actually working versus locking up... because you have to squeeze soooo damn hard just to get any feel.

Upgrading calipers is an option, but I thought it would be a huge pain, especially if I consider selling (would like to revert to stock).
Old 07-05-2012, 08:11 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

I did notice a difference when I went to dual SS lines up front. It is the only street bike i have been on so I thought the brakes were ok to start with though. Most of the complaints seem to come from guys that have ridden sport bikes where they have had high performance parts instead of get around town parts.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Sounds like there are a few who are experiencing the same thing as I.

I guess for me the best way to describe the lack of "feel" is as such: On the Versys as you apply the ------------- On my bike it isn't until just before full lock-up that the brakes actually feel like they are doing a good job at slowing.
are we talking front brake back brake----both??? I have a 2007, I am over 200LBS, the very first BIG difference I found in braking on my bike wasn't anything to do with the brake components, I installed Pilot road II tires. Yes I can lock up the back if I tromp on it at 50 MPH, the front, if I do a emergency stop, will almost put me over the handle bars.

As to feel, the rear brake was always hard to tell. Have you taken a MSC? I have owned plenty of bikes, in most cases, I was more concerned in how fast I could get going and what speed I could maintain, I use engine braking combined with about 90% front brake, the rear brake is generally only used when I am stopped at a light.

I guess it would be interesting to get together with a bunch of V owners and see how much improved the braided cables make on the front brakes------I have added just about everything I can think of---------forgot about the braided cables
Old 07-05-2012, 08:40 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Like a lot of threads, it's kind of hard to tell when we're talking about "feel"...

And yeah, I know what emergency stopping is. I demo that technique on my bikes, for the MSF classes I teach.
-------------------I admit it, my son took the MSC, big difference from when I took it. Just curious what you have for tires on the V, when I put the Pilot road 2s on, I found a huge difference in stopping and traction / handling over the Dunlops.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:05 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:30 PM

I just did a couple thousand miles on my '08 Versys on winding back roads in NY, PA, OH and WV last month. More than once I wished for better brakes. I also wished for more horsepower and torque and a more advanced suspension. The Versys isn't a high end sport bike, people, it's a capable and cost-effective all-arounder. Adopting more reasonable expectations may be in order.

FWIW, I have an ST1300 with linked brakes and ABS, and the ST's brakes are absolutely superior, even though it weighs 275 pounds more than the Versys.

Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
Reading Material: motobones.com
Old 07-05-2012, 09:38 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versysy

09 Model here and the brakes are absolutely fine and I am using TCB system on both the brakes which makes them a bit soft. I dont want a brake system that will lock the wheel. The versys brakes are just fine.-IMHO

Old 07-05-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Cothron View Post
I've just installed 4 pot differential Tokico calipers from an 2003 GSXR 600 on my Versys as steel braided lines and aftermarket pads didn't cut it for me. I absolutely love this bike, but for my riding style it needed better front brakes. Installed with fresh Galfer G1375 pads and haven't ridden enough to bed them in? I do already notice an improvement in feel and somewhat better power. These caliper sets are readily available on e-bay under $100 a set. brackets are a simple fabrication.
Glad to see someone who shared the same sentiment as mine.

Quote:
Upgrading calipers is an option, but I thought it would be a huge pain, especially if I consider selling (would like to revert to stock).
Reverting back to stock is as easy as taking off the caliper and adapter, rebolt the stock tokico and bleed.
- Front Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master pump - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS Brake lines - Osram Nightbreakers+ low, Osram Hyper Rallye 65W high - LED 30w spotlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low
Sponsored Links
Advertisement