Harley Haters - Page 4 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Member's Lounge > Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion

Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
Check out this guy's HD rant... http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/noharley2.html

Here's a SMALL sample of his rant:
That... was... AWESOME!

The only 'Muhrican innovation I've noticed is in electric bikes. And that makes me sad.
'93 KX250
'82 IT175
'79 KE90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 09:23 PM

So I guess there's just as much prejudice against HD as they have against us. Sad...
Old 05-03-2012, 09:24 PM

craigerjc ........ Some of those bikes are over 1000 lbs. But what about those Boss Hogs $30K and 2000 lbs!

But they are cool heavy bikes!

Hate is a very strong word!

Thank goodness I don't hate anything or anyone!

Last edited by MTS; 05-03-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:24 PM

2008 Kawasaki versys
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41

Can't help myself,

90% of all Harley Davidson's ever made are still on the road and the other 10% made it home.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:36 AM

I think hate is a strong word. But I'm thinking that when I get old I will hate hemorrhoids!

Even though I have been around bikes a long time, I have never ridden or even sat on a Harley. Not my thing. Cruisers, Gold Wings or trials bikes.....no hate....just not my thing.

But I have heard of a few folks who "just HAD to have a Harley"....and regretted the purchase shortly after. A couple because they had some bad mechanical problem under warranty and Harley refused to fix it.

And I can say that I have never been heckled from any of the "black n' blap" riders. Maybe they think that my hi-viz gear is radioactive.

But I have long been a fan of the classic retro bikes. Anyone with a subscription to Classic Motorcycle magazine? And if there is a possibility of owning a retro type bike...I'm going with a Royal-Enfield!

~ Wes

Last edited by MntVersys; 05-06-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:05 AM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Old 05-04-2012, 08:05 AM

2011 Kawasaki Versys
Default What if it all started with Hell's Angels on Hondas instead of Harleys?

In Sonny Barger's (founding member of the Oakland, California, U.S. chapter of the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club) biography - Hell's Angel: The Life and Times of Sonny Barger and the Hell's Angels - he says on page 53 "In terms of pure workmanship, personally I don't like Harleys. I ride them because I'm in the club, and that's the image, but if I could I would seriously consider riding a Honda ST1100 or a BMW. We really missed the boat not switching over to the Japanese models when they began building bigger bikes."

Source Document
Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
.... but if I could I would seriously consider riding a Honda ST1100 ...."
Wherein Mr. Bad Ass meets George Jetson.

Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Reading Material: motobones.com
Old 05-04-2012, 08:29 AM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
"In terms of pure workmanship, personally I don't like Harleys. I ride them because I'm in the club, and that's the image, but if I could I would seriously consider riding a Honda ST1100 or a BMW.
Maybe that is the rub with some of the Harley riders that spew the crap that they do about anything but HD. Maybe deep down inside, they wish they could ride a metric but peer pressure won't allow it.

A side story about peer pressure.... My wife rides a VStar 650. She works at the town garage doing all the paperwork for the shop. Only a few close co-workers knew she started riding about 4 years ago. Well, she decided to ride it to work one day. In the public works department, there are about 95% men. They were absolutely floored and could not believe she rode. They welcomed her and were impressed even though they were shocked. There are two guys there who ride Rebel 250's. The other guys ribbed the rebel riders so hard about my wife (a girl) riding a bigger bike than them. The teasing got so bad that in 3 months time, they both traded and bought bigger bikes than hers.. We think this is hilarious.

BTW, I plan on adding a 250 DS or motard to my garage soon.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:36 AM

http://www.ridingtoys.com/tricycles/...jn&subid=51631
Old 05-04-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
In Sonny Barger's (founding member of the Oakland, California, U.S. chapter of the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club) biography - Hell's Angel: The Life and Times of Sonny Barger and the Hell's Angels - he says on page 53 "In terms of pure workmanship, personally I don't like Harleys. I ride them because I'm in the club, and that's the image, but if I could I would seriously consider riding a Honda ST1100 or a BMW. We really missed the boat not switching over to the Japanese models when they began building bigger bikes."

Source Document
He wrote that some time ago and before Victory became a viable American alternative to HD. Sonny currently rides a Victory Vision with almost 100K miles and a Jackpot. I have spoken to him on the phone and have seen him at the local dealer.

Back to all your sterotyping.....
Old 05-04-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post

Back to all your sterotyping.....
Remember that all generalizations are bad.

(Including the one I just made.)

Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Reading Material: motobones.com
Old 05-04-2012, 03:16 PM

Just for the record, I didn't create this thread to specifically bash HD. I was hoping to get lots of pros/cons of the actual bikes themselves and people's input who've had exprience with owning them. Was curious if people actually hated the bikes or just the "image" they precieve and the bad experiences with HD owners...

I suppose my subject line is misleading...

I say: Follow the Golden Rule!
Old 05-04-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntVersys View Post
I think hate is a strong word. But I'm thinking that when I get old I will hate hemorrhoids!

Even though I have been around bikes a long time, I have never ridden or even sat on a Harley. Not my thing. Cruisers, Gold Wings or trials bikes.....no hate....just not my thing.

But I have heard of a few folks who "just HAD to have a Harley"....and regretted the purchase shortly after. A couple because they had some bad mechanical problem under warranty and Harley refused to fix it.

And I can say that I have never been heckled from any of the "black n' blap" riders. Maybe they think that my hi-viz gear is radioactive.

But I have long been a fan of the classic retro bikes. Anyone with a subscription to Classic Motorcycle magazine? And if there is a possibility of owning a retro type bike...this is my choice:

~ Wes
Good point. I think hate is a far too strong a word in this context. I suspect it's all based on some misunderstanding-begotten fear. The 'ole 'I don't understand why that person wants to ride a bike I have no interest in/don't like- He must be different from me [insert reptile brain fear response leading to anger]'. All very silly imho. They ride motorcycles, we ride motorcycles. Now perhaps the two groups have different motivations for doing so, but I suspect we all have our own inspiration to ride. I'll nod to anyone on a bike. I'll wave to anyone on a Kawi or an adventure bike. Not because I hate Harleys or their riders; rather for the same reason that while driving my '66 Coronet I'll give the nod to any classic- but only MOPAR is is getting some light flashing action... At the end of the day riding a motorcyle is about having fun. Is riding a cruiser fun for me? Not particularly; but if it's fun for someone else, well then- great. There are so many real (albeit stupid) reasons that people hate eachother in this world- seems like a bad idea to promote any non-essential ones. And yes- I've met a**holes that ride Harleys. I've also met a**holes that ride Japanese bikes. Turns out- This world is positively FULL of a**holes.

Come to think of it, though- all the Versys owners I've known are pretty cool... Perhaps we should have our own stereotype
Old 05-04-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Remember that all generalizations are bad.
You are correct. That's why I winked.

Let's go riding....

Old 05-04-2012, 04:52 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlmjmjm View Post
You are correct. That's why I winked.

Let's go riding....

Nice bikes! I like them Victory Motorcycles.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:04 PM

I don't hate harleys!!! I just call a turd a turd!!!

My Farkles......http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20013
My Video Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/weljo2001?feature=mhee
My Photos...http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/sets/

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 05-04-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zechariah View Post
So I guess there's just as much prejudice against HD as they have against us. Sad...
Yep, it is sad. I thought this was going to be a sight where folks shared a common interest of riding, but it seems that some are just haters. Kind of like the geeks hating the jocks because they couldn't play. I'm starting to wonder if it isn't Harley envy. Knowing that you will not ever fit in with the Harley crowd because you are a 98 lb weakling and would be laughed at riding your 883 (the only bike you can get off the side stand).

This site is making me think about trading the Versys off for a Tiger.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

I love you guys. I swear I do!! And yes, I've been drinking!!!

But I still mean it!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:42 PM

2008 Kawasaki versys
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
I love you guys. I swear I do!! And yes, I've been drinking!!!

But I still mean it!!!
Probably some real smooth vodka at a guess.

This thread may be heading for a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement