Harley Haters - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Member's Lounge > Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion

Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion Discuss other motorcycles by Kawasaki or any other motorcycle / automobile manufacturer here.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:29 PM

Default Harley Haters

Soooooo here's the deal:

I test rode a HD Dyna Fat Bob and had a blast. I had never ridden, or even sat on a HD ever before. I really was surprised at how much I enjoyed the ride! I've never vibrated so much, but the overall experience put a big smile on my face.

I read a lot of comments on this forum that refer to Harley owners as "drinking the kool-aid," and I'm not sure what that means... Is there a certain reason people get so heated with dogging on the brand? The price? Some of the crazy people who ride them? Why do we hate on them so much? I don't seem to see or hear of any other brand that gets so much flak from riders.

Personally, I love all things two wheeled! So let's hear your take on the American brand.

Got one? How do you like it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 05:32 PM

The Fat Bob

Old 04-30-2012, 05:58 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

I have encountered many that ride them and have the "piss on you" attitude. For that reason alone, I would never own one and have no desire to try one. Its not so much the machines themselves but the company they tend to keep.

For some reason, I have never come across another brand of rider that has the piss on you attitude that some HD riders do. I have read that a few BMW riders have similar issues but I have never in my 24 years of riding have met even one.

Cheers!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:03 PM

Default Got One

I've got one and love it. Not that I would travel extreme distances on it but I do take it over the versys when running around town. Mine started as a 99' sporty that I cut up into a rigid hardtail this past winter. Went for the old school look. Now I don't ride around with HD stamped on every piece of clothing, it is kinda funny to me when I see guys come walking around with everything HD or BMW. I like to ask if they have a bike just to get a rise out of em'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	96.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	14481  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:04 PM

Fair enough. I would say that I have many good friends who ride Harley's and they are quite pleasant, where as I've also met many Jerk crotch-rocket riders. Bad apple effect? Perhaps...

I can't afford a HD at this point anyway, so it'll be a while before I fill my cup...
Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

I'm with you Zech! Fun is fun.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:47 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zechariah View Post
I've also met many Jerk crotch-rocket riders.
Quite possible! Could be a geographical thing as well. Not very many crotch-rocket idiots around here. Don't get to talk to many crotch-rocket riders locally and very rarely see one giving it hell around traffic. What they do while in remote locations is likely a different story!

Quote:
I would say that I have many good friends who ride Harley's and they are quite pleasant
I have friends who ride HD and some speak slurs softly and sugar coat them so they don't come across so blunt but I can read the words and body language. I also have friends whom are great people and could care less about what I ride.

Quote:
Bad apple effect?
Likely. Only a few bad apples to spoil the bunch.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
"drinking the kool-aid," and I'm not sure what that means...
For what it's worth, the reference is to a mass suicide of followers of Jim Jones, a minister who convinced several hundred of his followers at his compound in Guyana to drink cyanide-laced Kool-Aid. (It may have been FlavorAid, a bargain alternative to Kool-Aid...there is evidence to support both products at the compound).

The idea of "drinking the Kool-Aid" means to accept something blindly without question. I've heard it applied to riders of Harleys, Ducatis and BMWs, owners of Apple products, people who belong to one political party or another, religious people of many varieties....whoever one accuses of not thinking for himself or herself.

Haven't heard it used in describing Versys riders.

Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
Reading Material: motobones.com
Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by settersonly View Post
I've got one and love it. Not that I would travel extreme distances on it but I do take it over the versys when running around town. Mine started as a 99' sporty that I cut up into a rigid hardtail this past winter. Went for the old school look. Now I don't ride around with HD stamped on every piece of clothing, it is kinda funny to me when I see guys come walking around with everything HD or BMW. I like to ask if they have a bike just to get a rise out of em'.
That is a sweet bike. Love the old school look.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 PM

Had a neighbor (who now lives in a house with a trailer hitch point), used my KZ650 to get his license. Even though I was riding before he was born I became a "wannabe".
If it expends a projectile I want to shoot it .
If it has two wheels I want to ride it.
If you can't respect my choices you can go back to polishing your chrome.
I'm surrounded by HDs and most are at least civil towards me, but that's about it.
They don't start that "buy American" business with me since I can come back with a decent list of over the border suppliers for HD factory parts (where was the VROD designed?).
Old 04-30-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Quite possible! Could be a geographical thing as well. Not very many crotch-rocket idiots around here. Don't get to talk to many crotch-rocket riders locally and very rarely see one giving it hell around traffic. What they do while in remote locations is likely a different story!

I have friends who ride HD and some speak slurs softly and sugar coat them so they don't come across so blunt but I can read the words and body language. I also have friends whom are great people and could care less about what I ride.

Likely. Only a few bad apples to spoil the bunch.

Yeah, driving on interstates and around town in Atlanta, it's usually the sport bikes who are weaving through traffic going twice the speed and splitting lanes (which is illegal here)...
Old 04-30-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Had a neighbor (who now lives in a house with a trailer hitch point), used my KZ650 to get his license. Even though I was riding before he was born I became a "wannabe".
If it expends a projectile I want to shoot it .
If it has two wheels I want to ride it.
If you can't respect my choices you can go back to polishing your chrome.
I'm surrounded by HDs and most are at least civil towards me, but that's about it.
They don't start that "buy American" business with me since I can come back with a decent list of over the border suppliers for HD factory parts (where was the VROD designed?).
So true! The Porsche guy designed the Vrod, another of the models of which I am fond.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:06 PM

Its all good! Why can't we all just get along!

2009 Kawasaki versys

I agree, I like most all motorcycles and someday may consider a harley, but I can't afford to buy or own one. My biggest discrepancy is that there are some harley riders that try to belittle those who don't ride or own one, also there designs are pretty much single minded, cruiser. Most other brands like triumph, bmw, kawasaki, honda, suzuki, and yamaha all offer more of a selection, cruiser, sport, adventure, dirt, dualsport, sport touring and so on.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.

The first rule of wizards.....people are STUPID.

I'd buy some H-D Toilet Paper.

My Farkles......http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20013
My Video Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/weljo2001?feature=mhee
My Photos...http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/sets/

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 04-30-2012, 07:11 PM

I like dressers and riding highways. My favorite bike was my 2005 Electra Glide which had a 6 gallon fuel cell on over the pillion. It was also the bike I did my IBA Bunburner Gold on (before the fuel cell), MD->FL and back, 1500 miles, in under 24 hours.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BLM_Cell_6gallon_Side_PicSmall.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	14482  
IBA #24737
(daytime) http://www.tontodonato.com
Old 04-30-2012, 07:18 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdatontodo View Post
MD->FL and back, 1500 miles, in under 24 hours.
Dang! Reading that makes my a$$ hurt!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:30 PM

I have no problem with Harley's. Each to their own. For me they aren't the best bang for buck. Around me the Harley people run two directions (the few) ride what you want and be friendly type or (the majority) who feel the need to bag on anything not Harley. That being said I'll ride with anyone BMW, KTM, Suzuki, Honda, Harley, etc. etc. etc.

I just laugh and enjoy the road.

http://ride.typicality.net/
Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 PM

I have been riding H-D's for 23 years. Traded my chopper in on a Versys 'cause my back can't take the rigid/forward peg/drag bar set up. Also, I was ready for a change. Turned out BIG CHANGE I'm 48, and the only thing refreshing that comes with age is you tend to care less and less about what other people think about you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	14485  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement