19" Wheel Conversion - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Modifications - Performance

Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

Old 11-20-2011, 12:37 PM

Default 19" Wheel Conversion

HI,

I am in the process of doing the Vstrom 19" wheel conversion in preperation for a trip to Morocco next year and need to get the discs turned down to 300mm, my local machine shop is saying that they need to come off the carrier so that he can hold them, which would mean replacing the bobbins.
My question is has anyone had them machined while on the carrier ?

Any help much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2011, 04:26 PM

I was thinking it was balone too, but just wanted to check with someone who had done this already. Will try somewhere else next week.

Wheel was from ebay UK, have been looking for ages, they are like rocking horse poo over here.

Enjoying your trip report JD, all those pictures bring back good memories of my TAT trip in 07, keep it coming.......
Old 11-21-2011, 01:27 PM

Is the world getting smaller or bigger when it takes someone from half way around the world to tell me local stuff I didn't know about. I remember when I was riding down to start the TAT I met several riders in Virginia and Tennessee who had not heard of it.......!!!!!

I do know of someone over here doing the 19" and DRZ conversion like you but don't know him nor any of his plans, but will try a post on the other V forum as more Brits seem to use that.

Cheers
Bart
Old 11-21-2011, 02:48 PM

Just curious, what is the advantage of a larger diameter wheel in off road riding?

I test drove a VStrom before buying the Versys and found the steering much slower and less responsive on pavement but never road it off road either.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:17 PM

I am sure others here are more qualified to answer this but my reasons are to enable the wheel to roll over obsticles better off pavement and a wider tyre choice for off pavement too.

Yes it probabilly will slow the steering down but the V is so quick anyway. I am planing to run 17" for pavement and 19" off pavement.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:58 PM

Yep, already done the R1 shock, what a difference, brilliant mod and had a go a softening the fork shim stack too but I think I need to go in again but was going to wait until the 19 is on. Hopefully will get is sorted soon.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:37 PM

Kawasaki Versys

i have a quick question... i am trying to figure out why the DL1000 is the "go-to" wheel for the conversion...like what are the specs I should be looking for.

The reason I ask is, I have a 1983 honda shadow 750 19inch front wheel that has dual rotors and would LOVE it if that would work as well. I am guessing that what I am looking for is spacing of the rotors and axles size, right?

Last edited by BAMF; 11-21-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
synthetic fork oil if you're not already using it.

be sure to come back with a photo when you get everything together.
What difference does synthetic fork oil make ???
Old 11-23-2011, 09:33 PM

does anyone have a picture of a V with 19" wheel?
Old 11-24-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versysxxx View Post
does anyone have a picture of a V with 19" wheel?
Here ya go ...

Last edited by freewheeler; 11-24-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
DL1000 wheel because of 20mm axle, only 5mm variance o/o on rotors compared to Versys, proven tough and durable wheel, and readily available until more recently. stock Versys calipers are used with a small shim, no adapter. machine work is inexpensive.

additionally, the three spoke DL front is easily combined with a three spoke rear if you want a matching wheel set.

the whole thing is cheap with used parts.
You mentioned before about the sv650 rear, three spoke wheel. Is the wheel design a match for the 3 spoke dl1000 or just similar in that they both have three spokes? Do you need the sprocket carrier for the sv650 as well? Thanks.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
You mentioned before about the sv650 rear, three spoke wheel. Is the wheel design a match for the 3 spoke dl1000 or just similar in that they both have three spokes? Do you need the sprocket carrier for the sv650 as well? Thanks.
They are a match ...
Old 12-21-2011, 01:33 PM

Finally got the 19" front on the other day with a Fullbore M40 tyre on, what a difference it makes off the road (sorry pavement).

I still have to finish a few things off and am undecided about which rear wheel to use as this bike has ABS and was thinking of keeping that and making it switchable, V-Strom owmers do this, but the SV rear has a 5 bolt disc and the V a 4 bolt so fitting the ABS ring could be tricky. Am still running a old Roadsmart at the moment but will fit the rear M40 nearer my departure date for Morocco on March.

Have also found some wide footpegs that drop straight in once the hole is opened up.

And they even work with lowering blocks too.

Got them off evilbay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2906101439...84.m1438.l2649

This is still a work in progress and would like to thank all those for their help and info on this.

Thanks

Last edited by Bart; 12-23-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:30 PM

Just FYI - Suzuki DR650 'pegs attach with no problems. The DR bolt size is smaller, but I've ridden quite a few miles with them on my '09 on stock sized bolts. (I had the DR 'pegs on my KLR before I sold it, and decided to try them on the V before selling them, and now I'm KEEPING them!)
Check out these 3 pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05964.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	13391   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05965.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	13392   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05966.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	13393  

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 01-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

there is a company making a true dual sport wheel set for the versys now! using a 19/17 excel wheel and custom hub....im very close to buying a 2012 and tossing them on and probably selling my KLR.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:54 AM

Thats sounds very interesting how much to get the two wheel changed out, hubs, wheels, spokes, lacing, truing and tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
there is a company making a true dual sport wheel set for the versys now! using a 19/17 excel wheel and custom hub....im very close to buying a 2012 and tossing them on and probably selling my KLR.

Last edited by cmoreride; 01-04-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Appox 1500 bucks complete. worth it. I hate cast wheels for anything off road. one wrong move and your walking. plus the VERSYS looks way cool with the spoked wheel setup. Here's a shot of er!

Old 01-19-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
Appox 1500 bucks complete. worth it. I hate cast wheels for anything off road. one wrong move and your walking. plus the VERSYS looks way cool with the spoked wheel setup. Here's a shot of er!

Here is my version with RAD mfg hubs and Excel wheels. Took about 30 mins to do the conversion. Easy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel 7.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	13653   Click image for larger version

Name:	ark 1.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	13654   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel 6.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	13655  
Old 05-04-2012, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

The problem is with cast wheels they don't bend, they crack! I would rather bend a wheel, keep air in it and ride home with a wobble, than ding a rock at speed that cracks your cast wheel and your walking back...

Oh, JD, im not talking about single track etiher, more of fast fire roads with some loose rocks etc. I have a plated crf for blastin the single track. but im just very weary about the cast wheels..I know you have been EVERYWHERE on yours. My buddy back here has a varadero and destroyed a wheel on the trans lab, was stranded in the middle of B.F.N. for hours. No cell service, never rented the sat phone and no vehicles passed. he was contemplating walking, but waited and got picked up later.

Last edited by kojack; 05-04-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:04 AM

I was not scared at all of the cast wheels. I simply could not find one when I decided to make the switch. So I opted for the spoked version. JD won't steer you wrong. His track record with the cast wheels speaks for itself. That's JDrocks not Jack Daniels! Don't listen to Jack Daniels!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement