Hill Country (Texas) Ride, Anybody? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Member's Lounge > Group Rides

Group Rides Get together with fellow riders...

Old 10-21-2011, 04:16 PM

Default (Updated) Hill Country (Texas) Ride, Anybody?

-- Updated --

Please join us for a Texas Hill Country "ride-to-eat" on November 19th (Saturday). Meet up is at the Starbucks on Centerpoint in San Marcos. Plan for kick-stands up around 9am. The trip will take us around the Wimberley and Canyon Lake area with lunch at Salt Lick BBQ (cash only). The whole trip will take about 7-8 hours, adding around 210 miles to your odometer. It is recommended to fill up at the gas station (near the Starbucks) before leaving, but there will be stops and fuel along the way, too.

All rider experiences are welcome to join, but I am expecting a "spirited" pace. (No go-straight-to-jail speeds.) We can adjust as necessary. (I like to follow "the pace". If you're not familiar with this riding method, you can read up here.) If anyone would like to be the "ride leader", just say so and you're nominated.

The ride will finish back at the starting point (probably around 4pm) but you may break off at any time, for any reason -- just please let someone still in the group know so we're not searching for where you "parked" your bike.

Suggested ride route

P.S. -- I write very formally (sorry, can't help it), but this will be a very informal ride. It's just for fun, and to meet some of your fellow V owners.

Original Post follows:
Anybody in the Hill Country (Texas) area that would like to meet up and ride?

I don't have any particular plans right now -- just gauging interest and availability. I can make almost any weekend in November & December available.

Last edited by acinonyx; 11-01-2011 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Update with ride information and route
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 04:27 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Sounds like a decent plan to us, depending upon "when and where." We live between San Antonio and New Braunfels in the little known community of Cibolo.

Have you ever visited the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum near Vanderpool? It's out in the middle of almost nowhere but it's a nice ride and the bikes are interesting. It's also the only place around where one can get authentic Australian meat pies (no, I don't know what the meat is - kangaroo perhaps?)

Let us know what you come up with.

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Old 10-21-2011, 07:59 PM

I'm interested but unfortunately probably not available. I seem to be working every weekend and november is deer hunting month....

Any good places to camp and hunt out by san antonio?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Yes.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Sounds like a decent plan to us, depending upon "when and where." We live between San Antonio and New Braunfels in the little known community of Cibolo.

Have you ever visited the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum near Vanderpool? It's out in the middle of almost nowhere but it's a nice ride and the bikes are interesting. It's also the only place around where one can get authentic Australian meat pies (no, I don't know what the meat is - kangaroo perhaps?)

I know Cibolo -- been "through" it many times. I've been to Vanderpool several times, too. (the "three sisters" are fun). I've never been to the museum, though. That would be cool to check out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
I'm interested but unfortunately probably not available. I seem to be working every weekend and november is deer hunting month....

Any good places to camp and hunt out by san antonio?
The bad thing about deer season is you see more of them on the road. Check out the ranches around Bandera -- seen plenty of deer leases out that way. (Saw plenty of white tail.) I don't really hunt so I have no personal experience with them. I have visited the Running R ranch to ride horses, but I don't think they have a deer lease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Yes.
Cool - would enjoy riding with you, I suspect. (I'm not sure why, but I thought you were up in DFW area -- at least until I checked your location again. Put that burgeoning rumor to rest.)

Well, now my schedule is getting tighter. I am thinking Nov 19th. Also possible is this weekend (Oct 29/30), or the weekend of Dec 17/18. I'm thinking a day trip, but would consider an over-nighter, too.

Since everyone who's responded so far seems to be in the San Antonio area, we could meet somewhere in North SA -- maybe Boerne? Lots of good roads out that way.

FYI: I don't really like leading rides (I'd much rather be at the back of the pack). However, if nobody else wants to lead, I will.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:46 PM

I'm in Austin, and there are a lot of nice roads here at to the north west of me. I did a bit of 1431 and 1147 this last weekend. Nice and twisty.

I'm out for next weekend (Oct 29 - I'm taking the bike down to Port Aransas) but the following would work. A nice full one-day ride would work best for me. After Nov 5th, my schedule will be a little tight, but I'll see what I can make happen..

Cheers, Jeff
Old 10-24-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acinonyx View Post

FYI: I don't really like leading rides (I'd much rather be at the back of the pack). However, if nobody else wants to lead, I will.
Bear is a good leader. But good luck keeping up!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Thanks Jonathan. Don't make me post pics of your target practice! Hahaha!!! Actually, I need a rear tire. Mine has developed a nasty wear spot in the middle...
Old 10-24-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks Jonathan. Don't make me post pics of your target practice! Hahaha!!! Actually, I need a rear tire. Mine has developed a nasty wear spot in the middle...
Probably from all those wheelies...Or have you been locking up your rear tire again? lol
Old 10-25-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
... (no, I don't know what the meat is - kangaroo perhaps?)

Armadillo, maybe? It's looking like a day trip on November 19th so far.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'll leave it up to Bear whether or not he wants to lead. I've followed some pretty fast bikes before -- and I don't just mean I followed an R1, I mean fast riders (no disrespect to Bear at all) -- but I make no claim that I'm fast. Cautious is the word I'd use to describe how I ride. (I'm down with "the pace".)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S View Post
I'm in Austin, and there are a lot of nice roads here at to the north west of me. I did a bit of 1431 and 1147 this last weekend. Nice and twisty.

I'm out for next weekend (Oct 29 - I'm taking the bike down to Port Aransas) but the following would work. A nice full one-day ride would work best for me. After Nov 5th, my schedule will be a little tight, but I'll see what I can make happen..

Cheers, Jeff
Oh, 1431 is a nice road -- just keep an eye out for deer. I"m not sure where 1147 is. Do you think you'll be able to ride on 11/19 (Saturday)? I can't make 11/5 or 11/12, unfortunately. (My schedule started filling up almost right after I posted the first message. Figures.)
Old 10-25-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acinonyx View Post
Do you think you'll be able to ride on 11/19 (Saturday)?
11/19 should work. Who's in, and where we goin? We need a good lunch stop in there. Salt Lick? Coopers? Gristmill?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
11/19 should work. Who's in, and where we goin?
Good question. (Of course, I'm in.) I guess that depends a bit upon where we will and won't eat. I was considering three possibilities -- Canyon Lake/Wimberley area (Salt Lick, Coopers, ?), Leakey/"Three Sisters" area (Mac & Ernie's, ?), or Marble Falls/Kingsland (Coopers, Bluebonnet Cafe, ?) area. If anyone has someplace specific in mind, let us know.

Quote:
We need a good lunch stop in there. Salt Lick? Coopers? Gristmill?
Couldn't agree more. Have you ever been to Mac & Ernie's out in Tarpley? (mmmmmm, cabra burger) Honestly, I'm not that impressed with Coopers -- maybe it was an off day when I tried it. They're good, I just think they're way over-priced. Grist Mill is good. Never tried Salt Lick so, my vote is Salt Lick.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Aw man!! You guys are gonna make me buy a new tire. Well... it HAS been awhile since I've been out ridin...
Old 10-25-2011, 10:12 PM

I've ridden the three sisters with Bear twice, and will definitely recommend him as a ride leader. He knows the roads pretty well and his skills can be trusted. I was definitely faster following him than I could have been leading. If you're looking for racetrack speeds, look elsewhere. The roads simply won't take it. Oncoming traffic crosses the yellow, the chip and seal pavement gives up loose gravel, and wildlife abounds. (Including sheep the size of horses capable of leaping tall fences in a single bound! Bear has cool hand signals to warn of such things...) November weekends will probably have a good bit of traffic visiting Lost Maples for fall foliage viewing.
Nevertheless, if you are capable of keeping up with him, Bear will set a pace more than quick enough to keep you happy and erase your chicken strips. He was faster the first time we rode together, but still set a fun pace the second without leaving the slow pokes in our group too far behind.
I'd like to ride with you all, but I don't think I can get away this year - especially since the ride is now a LOT longer.

http://ctoons124.blogspot.com/

Old 10-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

To be honest, I try to ride like the group I'm with wants to ride. I knew Rumbo & POTUS wanted a little quicker pace than normal, so we rode at a spirited pace. Nothing near track speeds, and pretty safe. Definitely fun though!! And as far as leading goes, I don't mind leading, but it sure is fun to follow if someone else wants to be up front!!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:06 AM

Well, I'm Mr. New Guy here - I've got 9 months or so with my 'M' endorsement, so I'll happily bring up the rear...
Old 10-26-2011, 11:01 AM

Well, I had a big reply yesterday and I guess I didn't hit the submit button, or didn't wait long enough before I closed the browser. Let's try this again, with a bit more info anyway:

Quote:
Aw man!! You guys are gonna make me buy a new tire. Well... it HAS been awhile since I've been out ridin...
Get that new tire. I need to change my oil. Maybe I'll get that done this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by potus2012 View Post
I've ridden the three sisters with Bear twice, and will definitely recommend him as a ride leader. He knows the roads pretty well and his skills can be trusted. I was definitely faster following him than I could have been leading. If you're looking for racetrack speeds, look elsewhere. The roads simply won't take it. Oncoming traffic crosses the yellow, the chip and seal pavement gives up loose gravel, and wildlife abounds. (Including sheep the size of horses capable of leaping tall fences in a single bound! Bear has cool hand signals to warn of such things...) November weekends will probably have a good bit of traffic visiting Lost Maples for fall foliage viewing.
Nevertheless, if you are capable of keeping up with him, Bear will set a pace more than quick enough to keep you happy and erase your chicken strips. He was faster the first time we rode together, but still set a fun pace the second without leaving the slow pokes in our group too far behind.
I'd like to ride with you all, but I don't think I can get away this year - especially since the ride is now a LOT longer.
Sounds like a good ride leader. Yeah, the three sisters can be very technical. Last time I went through there, about a month ago, I came across a herd of those bear-goats crossing right in the middle of a decreasing radius turn. Luckily I wasn't going fast because I was trying out a VROD that my brother had rented. Did I say I really love my Versys?

I don't know if I can keep up with Bear or not (probably not), but I'm not exactly slow. I just usually choose to be slow.

Quote:
Well, I'm Mr. New Guy here - I've got 9 months or so with my 'M' endorsement, so I'll happily bring up the rear...
Ride your own ride. As I said, the three sisters (especially 336) get very technical. If you're not comfortable with long trips (away from home) or tight turns, I"m fine with staying with local roads closer to Austin -- there are some good ones. Honestly, if you take the trip at your own pace you should be fine, plus it's a great experience.

Having said all that, here's what I'm thinking. (The meet-up point might change depending upon where we decide to go.) We could check out the Leakey/Three Sisters area (eat at Mac & Ernie's, ?), we could head out to the Llano/Marble Falls area (eat at Coopers, Bluebonnet, ?), or we could stay closer to Austin/San Antonio and hang out in the Wimberley/Canyon Lake/Driftwood area (eat at Salt Lick, ?) I'm up for other suggestions, too.

Let the voting commence! -- write-ins welcome. (I'm a democratic ride organizer. Well, actually I'm just compensating for my lack of experience with ride organizing, but... )
Old 10-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
To be honest, I try to ride like the group I'm with wants to ride. I knew Rumbo & POTUS wanted a little quicker pace than normal, so we rode at a spirited pace. Nothing near track speeds, and pretty safe. Definitely fun though!! And as far as leading goes, I don't mind leading, but it sure is fun to follow if someone else wants to be up front!!

And when Rumbo & I rode together, he had a passenger, and had NO problem keeping up with me. In fact, I remember him out pacing me a few times, so I had to step up.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:34 AM

Three Sisters sounds great - but I think that's a really long day from Austin. If ya'll wanna do that, go for it, but I'm likely out. No worries, I'll catch up with ya'll next time.

I like the sound of a Wimberley / Driftwood / Sat Lick ride. From/to Ausitn, that might look like this. I'm not familiar with the roads around there, but it looks fun!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Three Sisters sounds great - but I think that's a really long day from Austin. If ya'll wanna do that, go for it, but I'm likely out. No worries, I'll catch up with ya'll next time.

I like the sound of a Wimberley / Driftwood / Sat Lick ride. From/to Ausitn, that might look [I"]like this[/I]. I'm not familiar with the roads around there, but it looks fun!
No problem. Well, I'm perfectly happy with the Wimberley area -- lots of good roads plus we can stop at the Salt Lick. Wimberley gets my vote. (There are a few technical roads around this area, but you don't have 200-800 foot cliffs as the shoulder like you do with 335.) You're ride route looks fairly good, though I might tweak it a bit to remove some of the large highways (281 - ), if you don't mind.

Also, we'll have to consider some (probably) will be coming from San Antonio. Do you mind riding out to say San Marcos or New Braunsfels for the meet-up? Alternatively we could start the trip out south and meet up with you closer to Austin if that works better for you.

As far as stops go, I'm perfectly happy with running the tank on the V close to dry before stopping (around 200 miles). Should we stop more often than that? (Trying to figure out gas stops along the way. We could do gas stops around every 200 and stop on the side of the road for a break in between.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement