2011 V or 2012 Vee Strom?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > General Kawasaki Versys Discussions

General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:07 PM

Default 2011 V or 2012 Vee Strom??

Those are my choices, 2 great bikes, Pro's and con's?

Other bikes I own are a 2008 Harley Fatbob and a 2011 Triumph Speedmaster, both cruisers, I have owned an 09 V, but sold it, I do miss it tho

not trolling, looking for honest, thoughtfull debate on the two bike choices!
2007 Buell XB STT Lightning (Sold)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Harley Fatbob (Current)
2007 Triumph Speedmaster (Sold)
2008 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Yamaha Raider (Sold)
2008 Suzuki M109R (Sold)
2006 Yamaha Warrior (Sold)
2004 Triumph America (Sold)
2002 Suzuki DRZ400S (Sold)
1972 Kawasaki 100 Enduro (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 04:16 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Ride both and see which one you like the most. Personally, I would go with the Versys but I am highly biased.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANYONWLF7 View Post

Other bikes I own are a 2008 Harley Fatbob and a 2011 Triumph Speedmaster, both cruisers, I have owned an 09 V, but sold it, I do miss it tho

That should be your answer, I will give the Vee a shot, after all it`s gonna be something different.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:28 PM

The Vstrom is pretty darn smooth and that v-twin seems to have better power delivery. I know which one I would pick but I guess that's something you need to figure out huh? LOL

Do you plan on any dirt or gravel roads? If so Vstrom all the way. You will have a better tire selection without modifying the bike. I dont know, I just like the more "roomy" feel of the Vstrom. I was in your shoes back in 2009 and I should have went with the Suzuki. They have (in my opinion) better build quality and that motor is bullet proof and smooth as butter.
http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-pla...light-kit.html
Old 09-15-2011, 05:59 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

It might depend on your size. I have loved the V-strom 650 for years. But every time I get on one it feels HUGE and I can barely touch. I am 5' 9" with a 30" inseam. After seeing a guy in a parking lot (also with short legs) stop his new Wee over a dip and couldn't touch, then crunch went the plastic. I decided to put the Wee out of my mind.

The first time I sat on a Versys everything felt right. I finally got one and it fits me perfect!
Kaw and Suzuki both build quality bikes. Don't think you will find much difference in quality.
If you are going on dirt, I would pass on both of them and get a DR650. A Vstrom owner in GA is buying my DR650 because the Vstrom was too heavy and cumbersome for dual sport gatherings, but he is keeping the strom for longer trips. As others said, try them both and pick the right one for you.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
The Vstrom is pretty darn smooth and that v-twin seems to have better power delivery. I know which one I would pick but I guess that's something you need to figure out huh? LOL

Do you plan on any dirt or gravel roads? If so Vstrom all the way. You will have a better tire selection without modifying the bike. I dont know, I just like the more "roomy" feel of the Vstrom. I was in your shoes back in 2009 and I should have went with the Suzuki. They have (in my opinion) better build quality and that motor is bullet proof and smooth as butter.
I agree... The Versys is a great urban warrior, sharp handling and with that kick ass mid range (relative to the V-strom)... However, The V-strom (especially the new 2012) has that smooth, 200,000km bullet proof engine... Combined with comfy ergos and ABS as standard... and not to mention it's 19" front wheel gives you uber dualsport tire choices...
Old 09-16-2011, 01:09 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

I had both and like both. The V is a great bike but it was a little sleepy for my taste with the longer wheel base. I never liked the handling on the hardtop or gravel but thats just me. The Versys can be setup for gravel and fireroad and the afermarket for such a conversion has really come along. The V has a huge aftermarket selection and that is always attractive. I use my bike for work and log a crap load of hardtop miles and the shorter wheelbase of the Versys was more to my liking handling wise. I rode it all the way to Alaska and back this year with no problems hauling a ton of gear. The last thing you may want to think about is the fact that dealers are trying to get rid of the Versys because they did not sell that well so there are great deals to be had on them. You can not go wrong with either bike engine was they are tried and true. heres a photo of the Versys fully loaded somewhere in Canada on the way to Alaska.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Loaded.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	12669  

Last edited by douglasgraham; 09-16-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:08 AM

You may think i'm high when i say this, but when i saw the Versys and the old V-strom, i thought they were both hideous.... The Versys grew on me, the V-strom, for whatever reason, never did. Went to a dealer to look at a Ninja 500r and it was sold... noticed the V outside was used and for sale, black and looked even better than the pre 2010 that was growing on me... took a test ride and i was sold.

The new V-strom to me looks like the hideous old one with some make-up on (IMO of course ) Although had i wanted something that leaned more towards off road than street, i'd have seriously considered the V-strom.

My friend has one of the older ones, and we ride together swap etc. i find the Wee to be more stable in gravel/dirt environments. and it feels a little more solid. However even my friend agrees the Versys is more nimble on road, and he said i may have convinced him to buy a Versys as his next bike lol.

Both are great bikes! The Versys floats my boat a little more than the Wee though.

The test ride is what sold me.
Try and find a dealer/ private owner/ forum member that will let you test ride a Versys. The 2010+ have some cosmetic changes as you may well know, rubber engine mounts (much better on the buzz factor) and Z1000 parts bolted to it

Ride em both and decide i'd say. One guy may ride both, and love the Versys but not the Wee. Whereas you might ride both and absolutely hate the Versys (although very unlikely ) and decide you MUST have the Suzuki.

Do let us know what you do though
Old 09-20-2011, 06:27 AM

1) Turn off your computer and sit and ride both bikes.
2) Buy the one that fits you better.
3) Turn your computer on and join the site that matches the bike YOU like.
Thats the easy way, good luck.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:31 AM

2008 Kawasaki versys
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
1) Turn off your computer and sit and ride both bikes.
2) Buy the one that fits you better.
3) Turn your computer on and join the site that matches the bike YOU like.
Thats the easy way, good luck.
Thats good advice
Old 09-20-2011, 03:01 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:

Bikes:
2011 Kawasaki Versys (expected soon
2008 Buell XB SS Lightning Long (Current)
2007 Buell XB STT Lightning (Sold)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Harley Fatbob (Current)
2007 Triumph Speedmaster (Sold)
2008 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Yamaha Raider (Sold)
2008 Suzuki M109R (Sold)
2006 Yamaha Warrior (Sold)
2004 Triumph America (Sold)
2002 Suzuki DRZ400S (Sold)
1972 Kawasaki 100 Enduro (Sold)
Curious since you have already owned two Versys, why you would not test ride a Strom and decide for yourself?? You already know they are both reliable bikes, just need to decide on your riding style & what fits you.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:25 PM

My last bike was an 09 Wee Strom which I owned for about a year and sold as for me it just wasn't fun for the type or riding I do which is all street. In my opinion the the Wee would be better if you do a lot of 2-up riding but since I bought the Versys this year I absolutely find it way more nimble and flickable in the city and twisties. Best bike for me hands down.....It would be ideal if you can test the Wee though.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:21 AM

After year on Versys I would recommend VStorm. Why ?
1. Buffeting of helmet caused by stock windshield - waste money on replace
2. Seat is very uncomfy - waste alot of money on replace
3. Cowling buzz - impossible to get rid of unless you will remove clocks
4. Bad stock tires on rain - waste of money on replace

Versys has good engine but thats all + it has
new V storm 2011 have better engine mapings in low and mid rpms than previous one and use less fuel
I would go for Suzuki

EDIT:
5. I forgot to mention about ridiculous vibrations which are transported on handlebar - which makes mirrors vibrate like creazy and on long trips your hands will cry

Last edited by viral; 09-23-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:

You alreay have to cruiser forget the strom, u need a nimble flickable bike, you want comfort you already got the cruisers, strom are boring to ride, maybe be better is some ways but they dont have the same fun factor.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:03 AM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by viral View Post
After year on Versys I would recommend VStorm. Why ?
1. Buffeting of helmet caused by stock windshield - waste money on replace
2. Seat is very uncomfy - waste alot of money on replace
3. Cowling buzz - impossible to get rid of unless you will remove clocks
4. Bad stock tires on rain - waste of money on replace

Versys has good engine but thats all + it has
new V storm 2011 have better engine mapings in low and mid rpms than previous one and use less fuel
I would go for Suzuki
Personally, I really like the seat. Everybody's butt is different. Every bike forum that I am on, there are always some who love the seat and others who hate it.
A variable windscreen blade will help with buffeting or Madstat brackets.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6776/652/

Dunlop Roadsmarts work very well. I am enjoying their grip.

Cowl buzz...that one you will have to hunt down on each bike.

Test ride a Wee and see if it feels right to you. It may be the better choice. But it is great that there is a choice between quality bikes!
Old 09-22-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Wish I could afford more than one bike
Old 09-23-2011, 12:21 PM

I used to suffer from get -different-bike-itis about every two years, untill I got the Versys. I still test ride other bikes on occasion, but have yet to find one that does it all as well for me, at the price.
This 2012 Vstrom looks good, and the early reviews are quite positive, mentioning ' quite nimble, great motor, comfortable ergos". But I guess I would have to choose between a really nimble and fun commuter (V) or a more long legged tourer (Wee). As I seem to be doing more highway miles now, that may tilt me towards the Wee, maybe.
I have never ridden the Wee, the looks always turned me off. But the new one looks much better, IMO.
Go get a test ride, then decide based on the type of riding you mainly do.

Cheers!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:49 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

I am one of the few people who find the VStrom uncomfortable. I took one for a demo ride and had a sharp pain in my hip due to the way the seat/tank meet. I had my heart set on one, too. Luckily, I had no such issues with the V.

Definitely take one out for a test ride if you can. You don't want to find out something like that after you've bought it.

Dave
Old 09-24-2011, 02:47 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

I don't think there is a clear-cut "winner" between the two bikes. IMO you can't go wrong between the Wee and the V...within a few thousand miles you will probably love which ever one you bought as they both are really good bikes. The V has won Motorcyclist Magazine's "Motorcycle Of The Year" award and because they ride EVERYTHING, that means something to me.
There are more than a few reasons (looks, the Wee felt HUGE to me, etc..), but the primary reason I bought a Kawasaki is that I simply like the brand more than I do Suzuki. That's probably due to my off-road bias--I don't like RMZ's or RM's because every one I have owned over the years has had serious reliability issues. However, I believe it has been well documented that the Wee is pretty much as reliable as an anvil, just as my V has been over 20,000 miles of ownership.

2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMoto View Post
I don't think there is a clear-cut "winner" between the two bikes. IMO you can't go wrong between the Wee and the V...within a few thousand miles you will probably love which ever one you bought as they both are really good bikes. The V has won Motorcyclist Magazine's "Motorcycle Of The Year" award and because they ride EVERYTHING, that means something to me.
There are more than a few reasons (looks, the Wee felt HUGE to me, etc..), but the primary reason I bought a Kawasaki is that I simply like the brand more than I do Suzuki. That's probably due to my off-road bias--I don't like RMZ's or RM's because every one I have owned over the years has had serious reliability issues. However, I believe it has been well documented that the Wee is pretty much as reliable as an anvil, just as my V has been over 20,000 miles of ownership.

Actually that's a big reason i went Versys too.... all the Suzuki off road race or trail bikes i've ridden didn't float my boat so to speak... road a 125 trail bike suzuki and it felt like i was going to fall off it from the vibration! Road an Mx zuki and didn't like that either.... turns out the next race it blew up...

I've always been a Kawasaki/Yamaha guy, i suspect that's the way it will remain. Honda is a contender too though... hmm..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement