Are the stock V tires really that bad? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > General Kawasaki Versys Discussions

General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to rlj
Default Are the stock V tires really that bad?

Been reading up on the Dunlop 221 tires and are they as bad as most of the user reviews say they are? The 221's are the only experience I have with street tires and so far they seem adequate to the way I ride. I plan on upgrading to the Michelin Pilot 3's when needed however I may do it sooner than later if the 221's are a less superior tire than others.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2011, 04:15 PM

There are better tires (Many? Most? ), but they are not as bad as some reviews describe them.

Gustavo
Old 04-18-2011, 04:15 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

It depends, what are you going to be using the tires for? If you're going to use them for dirt, no they aren't good. If you are going to be usin them for trackdays or very spirited canyon runs (20+ posted corner speed) then probably not the greatest tire on the market. If it's anything in between, it should be fine.

How you feel about your tires is reflected in you as a rider. People will go faster or slower depending on how much confidence they have in their tires. If you, personally, don't feel confident in the tire, than change it. But don't change it because someone else doesn't like it. I say, make your own opinion.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:20 PM

I can attest to them being no good for dirt. They are nerve wracking on gravel as well.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:24 PM

Wet conditions are my main concerns. Being a fairly new street rider, I'm not overly aggressive when corning or up in the mountains on twisties.....at least not yet.

I just don't want to be out on a wet road and be sliding all over the place. Some of the reviews are less than favorable with wet conditions when it comes to braking and cornering.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:26 PM

They are terrible....

Kawasaki wants you to have a miserable experience with an inferior tire so that you have no trust in them and never purchase another thing from them!!!!

Aren't all marketing teams and manufacturing giants doing the same thing?

Old 04-18-2011, 04:47 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj View Post
Wet conditions are my main concerns.

I just don't want to be out on a wet road and be sliding all over the place. Some of the reviews are less than favorable with wet conditions when it comes to braking and cornering.
If you haven't tried them in wet conditions, I wouldn't judge them yet. Most rain riding is about rider technique, not tires. Use more engine braking than front/back brakes. Be smooth with the throttle on/off and be smooth with the brakes. Give yourself a little distance around cars. Use the brake and throttle before and after corners, not in them. And the biggest thing, relax. If you are a new rider, you're probably not going to push your tires to their limit in the rain.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:23 PM

I have managed to put 50km on my new '09 V and I'm happy to report that the tires show no wear.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:37 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

I have over 2000 miles on mine and for my style of riding, they are fine. I am not as aggressive as some of the younger riders most likely but I still have a blast.

Versys Owners/Riders Map Here.

Add your name and see who's near you!

Old 04-18-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkbox View Post
I can attest to them being no good for dirt. They are nerve wracking on gravel as well.
Is this a serious complaint? they are a STREET TIRE!
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Old 04-18-2011, 06:09 PM

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by versysxxx View Post
I have managed to put 50km on my new '09 V and I'm happy to report that the tires show no wear.
That's amazing! Keep it up and you may be able to get 500 out of them.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj View Post
Been reading up on the Dunlop 221 tires and are they as bad as most of the user reviews say they are?...
NO! I was willing to buy sets off guys who changed them out at no miles, but now I have a set of Tourance tires waiting in the wings!

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Old 04-18-2011, 07:19 PM

I got 7000 miles from my stock tires. I rode once in some extremely wet conditions near the end of their life and they were fine. No doubt there are better choices but I didn't have an issue with them until they were pretty well worn.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
Is this a serious complaint? they are a STREET TIRE!
Yes it is in fact true... Some roads are paved, others are gravel... Some paved roads have sand on them.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

I removed the stockers with about 2500 miles on them. I am sure that they are fine tires but I lost all confidence in them on my first real ride on the scoot. It was a cold March day on a lot of sandy/salty back roads. As soon as the sun dipped down and it cooled off a little more the tires lost all grip. They now sit in my garage awaiting some warm summer days when I have time to burn them up on a long weekend or two.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:21 PM

I bought my V new in june 2008. I have 7750 miles on her and am still on the original tires. They are just about worn out. No real complaints I guess. I ride fairly hard and drag a peg now and then. All in all these Dunlops have served me well. Would I buy them again? YES!... but...I'm feeling the need to wade through all the tire threads here and perhaps give another brand a try next go 'round
Old 04-18-2011, 08:39 PM

Thanks for the input. I was assuming they are more than adequate for typical riding. I only have about 1500 miles on them so far and will probably keep them for a while longer until I decide to upgrade.....
Old 04-18-2011, 08:42 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

I never had complete confidence in mine, but I wore them out because I didn't think they were so horrible as to need to be replaced before then. I got about 7K miles out of the front and 8.5K out of the rear.

I replaced them with "cheapo" Shinko 006 Podiums and there was a marked improvement in grip. I felt way more confident in them right away. The only problem was that I only got about 4.5K miles out of the Shinko's, which for me is not acceptable because I ride/commute a lot. Probably should have went with their 009 Raven's because they are supposed to be their longest wearing sport radial tire. I just put on a set of Bridgestone BT-023's today but can't report on them because I've only gone about 20 miles.

Anyway, I say stick with your Dunlop stockers until you wear them out, especially considering you won't be doing any real aggressive riding right away--they are a perfectly adequate tire IMO if they are not pushed hard. And when you replace them, I am thinking your V will get even better to ya'.
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 PM

An opinion

In traffic, riding at or close to the legal limit.

People who ride on the edge of tire adhesion are doing just that.

It's like seeing how near you can place a lite match to a firecracker fuse.

The only way to find out is to blow it up.

Go Speed Racer Go

Last edited by cmoreride; 04-18-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:33 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Change mine @ 7500. Riding on roadsmarts now. Could have riden a couple of hundred miles more but no need be skimpy with tires or breaks.

Sand or gravel on the road will cause you to loose grip.no matter what tires you use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement