Adjusting the screen height on a 2010 Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Technical Discussion

Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Old 04-08-2011, 06:22 AM

Default Adjusting the screen height on a 2010 Versys?

I haven't really taken a good look at how to raise the wind sreen on my 2010 Versys to it's highest position.... However, it looks to me I have to take apart the instrument panel to do it... Seems rather complicated just to change the height of the wind screen. Is there some easy way I am missing, or is this how to adjust the wind screen on the 2010 Versys?

Thanks
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 06:36 AM

I assume it is like the 09. This being the case, you should just have to remove the 4 small bolts in the front of the screen, and reposition the screen. Then re-insert the bolts and torque them down.

Check the owner manual for explicit info.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:40 AM

Maybe it's like the '09.... and I did try removing them via info in the manual.... But the rubber coated wellnuts are behind the plastic housing (dashboard)... I already tried pulling one out, but it tore in half and only the rubber part came out... The nut part fell somewhere into the dash....

Richard

Last edited by CanadianFZ6; 04-08-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:25 AM

My 09 manual states "Loosen the upper and lower bolts on the windshield and move it up or down. After adjusting make sure to tighten all 4 bolts securely.

Windshield bolt torque (.25 - .36 ft-lb)

NOTE: Make sure that there is a damper when tightening the bolts."

I was thinking about reversing mine, putting it upside down as some have suggested to yield better results (less wind noise), but have not looked into actually doing this yet. Mine is still as it came from the dealer.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFZ6 View Post
I haven't really taken a good look at how to raise the wind sreen on my 2010 Versys to it's highest position.... However, it looks to me I have to take apart the instrument panel to do it... Seems rather complicated just to change the height of the wind screen. Is there some easy way I am missing, or is this how to adjust the wind screen on the 2010 Versys?

Thanks
Richard
There isn’t much adjustment available on the 2010 but to do it, you just take the windshield off, remove the “Well-Nuts” and put them back into the holes that you want to use.

If you want to use the factory plugged holes, the plugs pop out easily but the Well-Nuts can be a little stubborn to get out. Get a longer screw (so you don’t have to hold it with your fingernails) thread it into the Well-Nut (it doesn’t expand like a hollow-wall anchor) and simultaneously pull it toward you while rotating it in a circular motion. Don’t force it or you’ll tear it (and they’re silly overpriced) and a little rubber lube (or soapy water) makes it a lot easier.

FWIW, I found virtually no difference in coverage between the positions – they’re all equally useless – and so I went to a Givi screen. See http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...8&postcount=22

PS Edit:

Just to clarify about the Well-Nut expansion...

I never really checked to see, but when they’re tightened with the windshield in place, they might expand/swell (because they’re essentially captive on both ends) but with the shield off & by `working’ it out they don’t...

Last edited by Hardware; 04-09-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:34 PM

Talking Be Gentle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
If you want to use the factory plugged holes, the plugs pop out easily but the Well-Nuts can be a little stubborn to get out. Get a longer screw (so you donít have to hold it with your fingernails) thread it into the Well-Nut (it doesnít expand like a hollow-wall anchor) and simultaneously pull it toward you while rotating it in a circular motion. Donít force it or youíll tear it (and theyíre silly overpriced) and a little rubber lube (or soapy water) makes it a lot easier.
Plus 1 what hardware said! But be gentle!
Old 04-12-2011, 04:30 AM

I just did mine a few days ago. I know where u are coming from when u say to remove the instrument panel...that's what I thought.

Like said, remove the shield by removing the 4 screws. That will expose the well nuts. Once u see it, then you will understand why you don't need to remove the panel. The well nuts is made of flexi rubber and has one end molded in with a threaded nut. Dun worry, the well nuts won't accidentally slip into the instrument panel area.

Pluck out the rubber well nuts, and I use a narrow tip plier as the front well nuts are stubborn. There's some misaligned pieces of plastic panels that made the hole 'smaller'. The rear ones was easier to remove by hand.

Next, u got to remove the 'rivet'. Use a flat screwdriver to carefully pry out the core stem. Once the core stem is out, this is where it is tricky and got me stumped for a few minutes, DO NOT extend out the stem to the maximum length. You got to push the stem back a little, like about 3mm out and then pull out the entire rivet. The stem has features that prevents the clips from closing in narrow if you fully extended the stem.

That's it, the tough part is over. Re-install the well nuts to the higher points and placed the rivets to the lowest front hole.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:55 AM

I just tried to do mine and like you said, I wrestled 3 out grabbing them with pliers but of course the 4th one tore off and the nut fell inside. I decided to just put it back where it was with the 3 screws as it doesn't look like an inch or so would make much difference. I don't mind the air on me anyways at least it doesn't buffet me to death like the Strom did.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:32 AM

2011 Kawasaki Versys

I eventually purchased additional wellnuts and put them in the empty holes. What a pain in the butt to wrestle them out. Seems like Kawasaki could fill all the holes with wellnuts and just add $0.60 to the price of the bike.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
I eventually purchased additional wellnuts and put them in the empty holes. What a pain in the butt to wrestle them out. Seems like Kawasaki could fill all the holes with wellnuts and just add $0.60 to the price of the bike.
Or they could thread the holes in the plate that the welnuts go through behind the plastic and not put a single welnut on the bike because they suck so much
Old 05-19-2012, 11:18 PM

I bought additional wellnuts and put them in all the available holes. Now I just quickly adjust the screen with an allen key. If I know I am going to spend time at high speed I put the screen at the highest setting with the vario at the highest level. Backroads in warm weather set it at the lowest level with the vario at the lowest setting.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:58 PM

I just adjusted my 2012 versys,
After unscrewing the nuts and taking the screen off, I used a Alan key and pushed the rubber well nut buck into the hole and let it fall out from the bottom. (It helps that i have small hands. To replace at the hole that I wanted, I used soap water and wiggled the wellnut into the hole.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:52 AM

It's easy, after removing the windscreen, screw the bolt back into the nut and pull them out with pliers / visegrips.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:42 AM

....or buy an extra set of wellnuts, like I did.....
Old 05-07-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoferris View Post
I just adjusted my 2012 versys,
After unscrewing the nuts and taking the screen off, I used a Alan key and pushed the rubber well nut buck into the hole and let it fall out from the bottom. (It helps that i have small hands. To replace at the hole that I wanted, I used soap water and wiggled the wellnut into the hole.
Now this made sense! I think I will try this when I get home. If I have no luck, I am just going to purchase some wellnuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement