My new V and its farkling journey - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Modifications - Cosmetic

Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

Old 04-03-2011, 09:52 AM

Default My new V and its farkling journey

Hi, just got my V a few days ago, a black 2011 model. First thing, a nice wash followed by some waxing. It brings out the gloss, even on the matte tank.

I also tried a Silicone spray that claims to enhance the gloss, and provides longer protection on the paint work, and makes washing easier. I think they worked great with the gloss. For the other plastic parts, i applied Armour All and it brought out the deeper colors.

The first ever farkle is the Engine Guard from Givi, installed by the dealer. Cost me RM550. (USD$1 = RM3.05)

I also got the dealer to stick me a Tank Pad for RM50

I realized the horn wasn't loud enough as most drivers ignores me. I dun blame them, I would too ignore the mediocre horn. So, I got myself a pair of Denso dual tone horns, rated at 4 Amps 12V and gives out 110dB each. The stock horn is 12V 3A 105dB. No relay were used, just stock wires but the trick to get both sounding together is to use equal length wires and split them equally. My first install with just 1 horn directly using the stock connectors and for the other, using a crocodile clip jumper wires only got 1 horn sounding. The cost....RM25, got it from a spare parts dealer for cars. The diameter is smaller than the stock horn. Was eager to use it after I got it fixed properly, and I can say....it really gets the drivers attention! It's a lot louder and clearer but the frequency of both the horns is higher than the stock horn.

A few days later, I got a pair of Aluminum Bobbins for the swing arm for RM35 from RacingMate in Penang.

It rained for a few days and with that, its a dirty affair. I soon realized the tail fender has openings that spews out sand and water near the rear signal lamps. It is messy. Here's my solution:

I had some Air Conditioning rubber foam used for insulation. I use double sided tape to mount the foam.

With wet roads, the underside is really messy and I hate washing the mono shock, muffler box, etc....so, I add a piece of rubber foam to act as a mud guard. Used nylon ties to tie the foam to the frame. May not look nice but I hope it works out well. It's still not tested and not proven. Alternatively, I was looking for a rear hugger that will cost me RM180 but as my experience with rear huggers, they themselves needs cleaning after riding on wet roads.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 06:05 AM

2008 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys Blue/Silver

Congrats.....and sure more farkling to come.

Try http://www.meguiars.com/whatsnew/Pre...sumer_products for the finish polish.

Great idea on the underside protector.

Congrats again and more good fun rides to follow.....

Ride safe,
Old 04-05-2011, 06:50 AM

2008 Kawasaki versys
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41

Congrats on your F word modifications The tank protector is a good thing to put on
Old 04-05-2011, 08:16 AM

2009 Kawasaki Versysy

Congrats on your BLACK Beauty.

Ride safe and be safe- ATGATT.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 PM

Thanks guys for the feedback. Will keep the farkles coming ....

On my 3rd day of riding the V, I couldn't resist chasing up a couple of 2 strokers KRR 150 Kips that went pass everybody in the twisties in Batu Ferringhi. They left me behind after passing through cars in very risky situations but they were held up by a big bus and I eventually caught up to them with very tight passing. Then an opening came up and we all passed the bus. I took the left lane while they took the right lane and I ended up ahead but slowed down to let the Kips in. And then, the adventure starts. The V has no problems keeping up in very tight turns and in some turns, the V could have done it without slowing down so much but the Kips had to slow down to make the turn. After a few hard turns, the Kips decided they had enough trying to smoke the V and decided to take it easy. I slowed down to their pace and was glad to have sharpen my tires. I would not able to do the same feat with the 250R Ninja. The V sure makes a mediocre rider looks like he's a seasoned rider.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:24 PM

I have placed a couple of orders in eBay for the Front and Rear Stainless Steel braided brake hose. Probably take 2 weeks to arrive.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Good price! Ordered the Carbon Effect color to match up with my Black V. I got a friend with a 09 V and the hoses he ordered from eBay fit perfectly. I've checked the Brake systems between mine and his, and they are the same...visually. Hope these guys fit my bike or else, I have blown a few $$ away.

My friend's V feedback with these brake lines is AWESOME! The brakes are now super responsive and no longer 'Woody' feeling. Just need to be careful to not over enthusiastically grip the levers, it's not as forgiving as the rubber hoses.

Contemplating a 44T rear sprocket and a DNA air filter.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:56 AM

I am so glad ACE Hardware opened up a store in Penang, since I can get this 12V Cig Lighter Plug socket that has a retainer cap for cheaps! Paid RM16 for it. I need to shear off the 2 clips and use the wires that came with it. And I think I have found the 12V socket accessory wires on the bike...just need to test it with a DMM.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...629363.1258923

With that 12V Socket, I am motivated to get something for my GPS enabled smartphone to be used for navigation while I ride and it has to be waterproof. eBay has what I want for a reasonable price.

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/GARMIN-NUVI-4...item4aa3238602

And with that, I need a micro USB 90 Degree bend cable as my phone is large and the standard USB cable will not be able to fit in when used with the waterproof case.

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 04-09-2011, 08:34 AM

Decided to go ahead to install the 12V Cig Socket today but I had to first, check which wires should be the ones. Took out my DMM and started to test probe.

From ACE Hardware, the 12V Socket with clips and the 2 flat pins which would be used to replace the clips. --> RM16 + a few cents. Please NOTE: This device is not meant for cigarette lighter as it cannot support the high Amperes.

There are a few wires and a quad pin socket found at the Left Hand fairing.

After probing with the DMM under "On", "OFF" and "P" mode, here's what each pin on the Quad Socket does:

Based on the orientation on the photo below:-

1. Left Top Pin - 12V irregardless of Key Switch position. Yes, even when it is OFF, there is still 12V output.
2. Bottom Left Pin - GND
3. Bottom Right Pin - 12V for Key Switch position ON and P.

Here's how I connect the wires to the socket. I had to mark out the 12V wire as both wires cannot be differentiated.

And my Test Device, which is a HTC power adapter for my PDA phone. The HTC is illuminated by a white LED when there's 12V juice. The socket is placed in the left hand fairings.

Lastly, I needed to make sure that there's a fuse to all this. Below the seat, there is a 5 Amp fuse which protects the 12V Cig Socket circuitry. I removed the fuse and the HTC LED went dead.

Last edited by 2daMax; 04-09-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:41 AM

I thought I would go on to enhance the bike, so after the 12V socket install, I proceeded to add some 'dampers' to the steering stops. Use the Superlon closed cell rubber foam combined with double sided tape.

Hate it when I accidentally turn too hard on the handle bars.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:43 AM

Finally, to protect the handle bar center stem from being scratched by loose keys. Using the same Superlon foam.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:04 AM

2008 Kawasaki 2008 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daMax View Post
Finally, to protect the handle bar center stem from being scratched by loose keys. Using the same Superlon foam.

You're kidding, right?
Solo 3200 Miles Through Mexico 2009
Mainland Mexico via Baja California 2010
The most fun I've ever had following a cop
Old 04-10-2011, 03:37 AM

You have a better idea? Let me know
Old 04-10-2011, 03:59 AM

2008 Kawasaki versys
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41

Quote:
Take the other keys off that key ring
Old 04-10-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Take the other keys off that key ring
That was the original idea but I carry 2 other locks for the bike. I had some plastic stickers for windshields that will be nicer but was too lazy to cut out the shape.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:44 AM

My keyring scratched the hell out of my previous bike, so on my V i have nothing other than the key itself. My u-lock and pannier keys stay in my pocket.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:36 AM

You can always just slide on a piece of tubing.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:30 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
You're kidding, right?
I have had a few bikes in the past where the "dash" had gotten horribly scratched up from keys rubbing it and it really bugged me. On my past few bikes, I have resorted to just using the one key and not worrying about it. On my V, I have a top case and I want the two keys to always be together. I just wedge my top case key behind the little metal loop that guides cables right next to the ignition and it works for me.
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:31 PM

2008 Kawasaki 2008 Versys

Quote:
What kiwi said for one. Your solution just kinda reminds me of an old skit on SNL: The anal retentive carpenter. Just overkill IMO, but hey it's your ride, just have fun and ride safe.
Solo 3200 Miles Through Mexico 2009
Mainland Mexico via Baja California 2010
The most fun I've ever had following a cop

Last edited by miguelito; 04-10-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:40 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Whatever works for you, but IMO that foam piece is way overkill and looks bad.

I would apply a piece of clear self adhesive "sticker," (they sell it for dirt bikes and I am sure other places as well) or even a 3" strip of silver duct tape directly on the top clamp...either would do the trick and be WAY less noticeable.
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:57 AM

Great idea on the Silver Duct tape. Thanks guys for the ideas. Those foam were left overs, and they happen to be handy. Agreed, they are not the best ideas for scratch proofing. Another idea is to leave the lock keys under the seat. But with the top box which will be my next add on, I'll still need to have the keys with the bike keys. Can't leave them separate else, I may forget to bring the box keys and arrgghhhh.

Do you guys have a tendency to leave the key on the bike and walk away? I tend to do that ..... I am so absent minded.

Last edited by 2daMax; 04-11-2011 at 02:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement