Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

LSL Frame Slider install-

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Pismocycleguy 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I stumbled across VeeJay selling a set of these in the For Sale section. I did a little searching and browsing around and these looked to be well engineered and strong frame sliders. I liked the idea that they could offer the protection of engine/crash bars without the bulk. Given that VeeJay's set was black and red, I gave them a shot......

Well, (and thanks VeeJay) they arrived quickly and I was excited to get them on. I spent a fair amount of time in the garage this weekend, and these were the last item to arrive ( more on the other farkles later ).

I was first struck by the very basic, "stick tab A in slot B" kind of visual reference only instructions......the translation over from German is iffy at best.

Then, I noticed that in addition to the basic instruction sheet, there was a couple of pages of ENGINE REMOVAL/INSTALLATION instructions..:eek:
What had I gotten myself into! :goodluck:

Well, I laid everything out and started trying to visualize where they went, and decided to give it a go. :yeahsmile:

First you need to remove the radiator scoop pieces and get them out of the way. You can then get a better idea of where you need to work.

Then you remove two bolts that are replaced with some of the new hardware included in the kit. At this point the visual instructions start to make a little more sense, but there is a surprise in store!

As you remove the engine mount bolt, there is a nut (and a spacer on the right side) that you need to keep track of. I saw and gathered up the spacer, but heard a metallic clunk down in the bottom of the engine area (algard in place....more on that later). I fished out the nut and kept moving.

The rest is fairly straight forward, mount the bracket first and then attach the slider and extension to the bracket. The engine mounts need to be torqued to a specific setting, but no biggie there. I did the right side first, and found the left side to go much quicker after having done one.......which is usually the case. The fact that much of this bike is asymmetrical makes things interesting as each side is a bit different, but not terrible. All told, it took me a leisurely 45 minutes to install, and much of that was reading the instructions a couple of times first. It took me longer to make this thread than to do the install!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The bike is not 100% back together from the weekend's activities, but close.

I also installed Givi side racks and V36's, some rear spools, Givi wind screen, and the new Algard that I scored!!

The wish list is down to KTM handguards, clear turn signal lenses, a side stand foot enlarger, speedy's mirror extenders, some new mirrors (yet to be determined), and given that I just put some new footpegs on my DRZ, I may try the old one's on the V......:thumb:

I'm also addressing in advance some of the cowl buzz issues that I've read about.......while its apart, might as well add in some sound killers as I put it back together.

A good start I think.......:clap:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.