Turn Signal Cancelling device - recommendation? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Technical Discussion

Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Old 02-05-2011, 08:36 PM

Default Turn Signal Cancelling device - recommendation?

Can anyone recommend a turn signal cancelling unit for the Versys?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 08:42 PM

Thumb
Old 02-05-2011, 09:06 PM

Yep. The Mark I Thumb (OEM equipment on most humans) seems to work quite well...once trained.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:31 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

Kisan is the only one I am aware of. JCW use to list a universal one but I did not see it in the last couple catalogs???
Old 02-05-2011, 09:49 PM

Bought this had the dealership try to put it on. No dice it didn't work........Waste of $60.00 bucks. plus labor charges

http://www.motogadget.com/us/frameset.html

My Farkles......http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20013
My Video Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/weljo2001?feature=mhee
My Photos...http://www.flickr.com/photos/54181788@N06/sets/

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 02-06-2011, 07:35 AM

Heres the best price i've seen.

http://www.bikerhiway.com/kisan-sign...source=froogle

Mike Tyson

Old 02-06-2011, 08:03 AM

Without meaning to sound smug, why not just get in the habit of canceling your signal whenever you make a turn? Better to rely on your own alertness and attention to your situation than on an electronic device. For much the same reason I've never bothered with a gear indicator.

Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Reading Material: motobones.com
Old 02-06-2011, 09:18 AM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

While I am not for more regulation, I am surprised that self canceling is not required. If installed new it would not cost more than $25. Harley puts it on the cheapest Sporty (about same MSRP as the Versys!!).
Old 02-06-2011, 09:28 AM

2009 Kawasaki Versysy

For safety reason better use Mark 1 Thumb.

get to the habit of cancelling/setting your direction.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:33 AM

The self canceling turn signals that only work on a timer I believe are actually dangerous. There are many stop lights that you must sit and wait at for minutes and I sure don’t want to sit there with no turn signal on. The only ones worth a damn have a lean angle detector and travel sensor as part of their circuits. My 2 cents…don’t waste your money…remembering to turn off your turn signal is just part of the process in learning to ride a motorcycle, if you can’t remember such a simple thing as that I for one don’t want to ride with you.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:33 PM

2008 Kawasaki Versys

If you haven't forgotten to turn the signal off you have not ridden much. Especially if you have other bikes that do cancel automatically! The Versys is better than some because the indicators are relatively bright and high. Those of us pushing seventy are especially challenged due to the inevitable short term memory problems.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:56 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys, green of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcctx View Post
If you haven't forgotten to turn the signal off you have not ridden much. Especially if you have other bikes that do cancel automatically! The Versys is better than some because the indicators are relatively bright and high. Those of us pushing seventy are especially challenged due to the inevitable short term memory problems.
I agree. We all forget at some point. I have seen some people put bright LED lights high on the dash or a piezo beeper. Honda Helix scooters have a piezo clicker that sounds like a loud flasher unit.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:31 PM

Going to work all my turns are left turns. Coming from work they are all right turns. So if I forget to cancel...I'm just indicating early.

Last edited by kimel; 02-07-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:31 AM

Some days, I have short term memory issues.

It looks like the Kisan SignalMinder can be wired so that the turnsignal keeps blinking when you are stopped at a traffic light, as long as you have your brake on.

And besides, some days, I have short term memory issues. ; D
Old 02-07-2011, 09:44 AM

This just occured to me - when I was first learning to ride a motorcycle, neither of my first two bikes (that I bought new) came with turn signals! Turn signals were not required back in the late '60's and early '70's. We used hand signals back then. I started with a Honda S-65, then bought a '71 Kawasaki 175. I used the 175 to commute to class, and then ride the trails in Michigan on the weekends.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:25 PM

Default nice thread...some real experts on this one.....

many of the bikes I've had/used...no signals so nothing to remember or forget. it's just cheap to not have an auto cancel unit installed at the factory in the harness..cheap....
I ride in traffic everyday not country roads with nothing going on....mostly when I forget to turn off the blinky its cuz there is alot of cars & **** going on....not cuz I'm unlearned in pushing buttons....I totally mastered the start button...remember all those damn kickstart bikes, WTF...

www.kisantech.com
www.kriss.com

I have used these products on my bikes & many customers bikes for the last IDK 15-20 years...how long have they been making this stuff?

on the ninja I used the Kriss products. turn signal cancel, headlight & brakelight modulators. took about 2 hours to install but I took off the plastic so it would be a nice pretty tucked away job. YRMV

BTW...on the ninja it times out after 15 blinks, if you are on the brake or touch it @ stoplight it wont time-out......itsa good product for when you forget....but the brakelight modulator is money better spent, depending on your situation at this time.

and for the guys that are just to cool ...well, way to be helpful, thanks for chiming in on something you dont/wont have......i usually just sit on my thumb too.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:33 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

I think the op has a good question, though I doubt there is a good aftermarket solution. The Versys has a dimunitive turn signal indicator...its not big, its not yellow and it makes no noise...kinda looks like the neutral light at a glance.

I have owned bikes with and without self canceling turn-signals. The "use the thumb" response applies to all bikes with or without self canceling, it is not a one or the other thing IMO. Of course you use the thumb, but adding self canceling is MUCH better.

My '82 Yamaha XV920RJ had very good self canceling turn-signals, (measured stearing and time) so what happened to "modern" bikes?. My cynical guess is that perhaps litigation may have done it in....just a guess, no facts to back it up.

Since the Versys does not have self canceling turn-signals I wish it had a more obvious 'turn signal indicator'...that could save your life.

T
Old 02-07-2011, 07:37 PM

www.kisantech.com
www.kriss.com

and for the guys that are just to cool ...well, way to be helpful, thanks for chiming in on something you dont/wont have......i usually just sit on my thumb too.
[/quote]

Thats Funny..

Mike Tyson

Old 02-07-2011, 09:18 PM

On every bike I've ever owned I would occasionally forget to cancel the turn signals. No bike seems to have turn signal indicators that stand out. I guess there's a downside to keeping my eyes on the road.

I have the Kisan and wired up the optional brake connection that halts the timer and am quite happy with it.

Now I live with the easier to deal with problem of finding that the turn signal won't turn on when I need it because the turn signal switch is still on with the Kisan timed out. Then all I have to do is turn the switch to off, which resets the Kisan's timer, and then on. This only takes a second or so, and sure beats cruising down the road for miles with the turn signal blinking like an old man with a hat driving a 1970 Buick.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:59 AM

+1 Beware of cage drivers who wear hats while driving. They are nearly always bad drivers. They are unconcious and unaware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement