Oil change interval by mileage or time? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > General Kawasaki Versys Discussions

General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:04 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys
Default Oil change interval by mileage or time?

Hey all,

Just curious what you guys do for oil change intervals on your bikes. The Kawi MOM says to change the oil at 600 miles then 7500 miles. I changed it at 600 (Dealer service) and then changed it to synthetic at 2000 miles. That was about 4 months ago. I now have 2900 miles on it.

I've always changed my car oil at every 3000 miles OR 3 months.

So, with the bike (and synthetic in it) I was planning on changing it every 3000 miles but I got to thinking I may not hit 3000 miles on this oil til the spring. By then it will have been 8 months since it's last oil change.

Is there any time frame for oil changes that I should look at too rather than just going by distance? Like should I plan on changing it every X miles OR every X months? Or should I just stick to the miles no matter how long it takes to get there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 03:43 PM

I think the best for engine is when you change it about every 10000km (6215miles) or every year.

Last edited by Jacokawa; 01-26-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:57 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys
Default Just my $.02

I change mine every spring (start of riding season) and every 3000 miles after. I have no scientific reason, just what I do.

Versys Owners/Riders Map Here.

Add your name and see who's near you!

Old 01-26-2011, 05:56 PM

It's better to change it now upon winter storage, and have it sit with new unused oil in... I change my oil at every 2500-3000 miles, including when I store it for about 5 winter months.

Last edited by invader; 01-26-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:06 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

I'm actually still riding it weekly. I commute on it about 3-5 times a week. In that case, I'm probably good to just go off of mileage then right?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:30 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

2 more cents;

My uneducated guess is the more demanding componets for oil are clutch and transmission, not engine. I have a new bike and gear changes are getting better w/ fresh oil. This should settle down after a few thousand miles.

My plan is to change oil every 3,000 miles or 1/year whichever comes first. 5,000 mi. or 1/year is probably just fine and may be easier to remember. If your riding in dusty conditions, shifting at redline or stop and go all the time every 3,000 miles may make sense.

I plan on doing oil chages every 3,000 miles mostly for my own amusement, but I will only change the filter every other oil change (6,000mi). Not only is the filter easily good for 6k miles, your only changing 1.8 quarts of oil, takes 10 minutes, not bad at all.

BTW I'm not planning on using synthetic oil. I have used it in the past, but w/ new oil every 3,000 miles the premium regular M/C oils like castrol are plenty good enough, cheaper and easier to find.

Tom
Old 01-26-2011, 07:50 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
It's better to change it now upon winter storage, and have it sit with new unused oil in...
Please elaborate! I cant see where it really makes a difference. There may be some slight difference in moisture content, but parking two bikes side by side changing one in the fall and one in the spring will show no differences over the life of the bike.

As I said before, I have no scientific reason for what I do, but I'm all ears for some expert advice!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristian79 View Post
I'm actually still riding it weekly. I commute on it about 3-5 times a week. In that case, I'm probably good to just go off of mileage then right?
Yes, you can stick to your 3000 mile routine.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttman View Post
... I plan on doing oil chages every 3,000 miles mostly for my own amusement, but I will only change the filter every other oil change (6,000mi). Not only is the filter easily good for 6k miles, your only changing 1.8 quarts of oil, takes 10 minutes, not bad at all...
Tom
You can also get more dirty oil out if you just unscrew the oil filter as well when you change the oil without changing the filter, if you like.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:15 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

I ride my bike everyday and after 2000 miles the shifting starts to get notchy so I change at around 2000 have been to 3000 but you can really tell after 2000 of so miles that it needs changing.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Please elaborate! I cant see where it really makes a difference. There may be some slight difference in moisture content, but parking two bikes side by side changing one in the fall and one in the spring will show no differences over the life of the bike.

As I said before, I have no scientific reason for what I do, but I'm all ears for some expert advice!

Because your owner's manual says so, and it's better for your engine... Used oil has acidic combustion byproducts and some moisture.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:50 PM

2010 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Because your owner's manual says so, and it's better for your engine... Used oil has acidic combustion byproducts and some moisture.
I read the manual to see what it said. You are correct in the fact if you store your bike, you should drain and refill with fresh. Since I ride mine some every couple weeks through the winter, I don't consider that "storage". You being from Canada, you likely put up for the winter.

Thanks for the tip though! Might start shifting my changes to late in the year instead of early unless mileage screws up my plans!

Old 01-26-2011, 09:08 PM

2008 Kawasaki versys
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41

This is probably a dumb question but what happens if a engine is left drained of oil over winter?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:26 PM

I change the oil in my bikes before they get put up for winter storage.
Otherwise I change it about every 3,000 kms , thats roughly 2,000 miles.
Exceptions are when I am away on long trips, it could be more like 7,000 kms, if not home, and doing 500 plus kms a day.
I say that because every few years I do a lengthy trip, and at best they get 1 oil change mid trip.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 PM

2008 Kawasaki versys

The manual actually says every 12500km for oil and filter change.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
This is probably a dumb question but what happens if a engine is left drained of oil over winter?
i think that's the same as storing with old oil, since "drained" is never really drained. new stuff will dilute the bad stuff.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5390&dateline=1274798  770 => tales from the road
Old 01-26-2011, 11:58 PM

2008 Kawasaki versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
i think that's the same as storing with old oil, since "drained" is never really drained. new stuff will dilute the bad stuff.
Now on that point kevrider that brings me to yet another question.

Should we add a engine flush additive when we change oil on a motorbike to remove carbon buildup as i do with my cars and ford truck?
Old 01-27-2011, 05:32 AM

2008 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys Blue/Silver

For maximum engine protection, some change oil every 3000 mile or 6 months (which ever comes first). Some even with the oil filter together. Important is to have the engine at working temperature when draining. Takes out all that sludge out.

There are some many trains of thought but an regular oil analysis is the definite way to know what the engine is going through.

Ride safe,
Old 01-27-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post

There are some many trains of thought but an regular oil analysis is the definite way to know what the engine is going through.
Takes alot of the guess work out of it. I have used blackstone a couple of times for a motorcycle oil analysis .

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/?gcli...FcPt7QodkSnY1g
Old 01-27-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
What would happen IF you were to hit the starter without realizing there was no oil in it...?

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153
Sponsored Links
Advertisement