Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Gen 3 windshield removal - EASIER method!

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 · (Edited)
I've gone back-and-forth between the OEM windshield and my PUIG 5999 several times, and it's ALWAYS been a PITA! You end up needing another pair of hands (w/ REALLY long fingers!) to hold all the little bits that try to fall out once you've removed the four bolts, and two 'adjuster' knobs.

As I was doing it again yesterday, I decided to look into my SERVICE MANUAL (for a change...:wink2:...) to see what Kawi says to do. SAME thing I've been doing, so I started in on the job. Removed BOTH 'adjuster' knobs, started on the bolts, then a thought 'hit' me - what if I put a nut onto the bolts that the 'adjuster' knobs screw onto...?

I finger-tightened two, removed the four screws and VOILA! - NOTHING fell onto the floor! Changing windscreens went from a chore, to a FIVE minute pleasure. Here's a pic of the windscreen-mounts w/ the two nuts replacing the 'adjuster' knobs.

BTW - look CLOSELY at the washer in the first pic. It's SUPPOSED to be a "spring" washer OEM, but mine came w/ just a flat-washer, so I went to a bolt supply and got a proper "spring" washer, and installed it.

NOW I'm NOT looking all over my shop floor for pieces like that when they fell down removing my screens "by the book"!

:thumb: - :thumb:

:D

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Hah! Typical of service manuals, isn't it? Do you think Kawasaki would incorporate your revised procedure? NBL! (Not bloody likely). 0:)

I once owned a 1968 Mercedes 250S sedan, and needed to change the starter motor. First line in the service manual read something like - disassemble front end of vehicle and remove engine.

With a light and a mirror one could see the starter motor but getting to it would require massive disassembly or explosive charges. Thank you Mercedes. And thank you Kawasaki. :x

#6 ·
Arion - WAY-Y-Y back when (I was STILL in the RCAF...) my wife "hand-grenaded" the starter in my '72 Corvette. The car was in a SMALL single-car garage, and it was winter.

I remember lying on my back (working w/ my arms fully-extended) to remove the bolts holding it in, till I got the last one out and the FIFTY pound starter dropped down (AT LEAST it FELT like 50 when it dropped...) into my hand.

:eek:

'Course being as that was about 44 years ago, I MIGHT have been in better shape than I am NOW.

:cool:

#7 ·
I came up with another way of doing this out of necessity as I did not have two nuts handy (now now). I attached electrical tape to the back side of the adjuster knob hardware to hold in place against the bracket. It worked a dream. For the record, I used 3M tape and it was only 49 degrees out when I did it this morning. Now to see how I like the Givi vs the Puig.

On TDY near Mount Rainier.

#8 · (Edited)
I've gone back-and-forth between the OEM windshield and my PUIG 5999 several times, and it's ALWAYS been a PITA! You end up needing another pair of hands (w/ REALLY long fingers!) to hold all the little bits that try to fall out once you've removed the four bolts, and two 'adjuster' knobs.

As I was doing it again yesterday, I decided to look into my SERVICE MANUAL (for a change...:wink2:...) to see what Kawi says to do. SAME thing I've been doing, so I started in on the job. Removed BOTH 'adjuster' knobs, started on the bolts, then a thought 'hit' me - what if I put a nut onto the bolts that the 'adjuster' knobs screw onto...?

I finger-tightened two, removed the four screws and VOILA! - NOTHING fell onto the floor! Changing windscreens went from a chore, to a FIVE minute pleasure. Here's a pic of the windscreen-mounts w/ the two nuts replacing the 'adjuster' knobs.

BTW - look CLOSELY at the washer in the first pic. It's SUPPOSED to be a "spring" washer OEM, but mine came w/ just a flat-washer, so I went to a bolt supply and got a proper "spring" washer, and installed it.

NOW I'm NOT looking all over my shop floor for pieces like that when they fell down removing my screens "by the book"!

:thumb: - :thumb:

:D
Are these 2 nuts left there permanently or only used when swapping windscreens?
Thanks!

Reactions: Tcruarceri
#9 ·
I hold the "bolt" from the backside w/ a finger, then finger tighten the nut, then remove the shield.

Then just hold the new(er) shield in place, turn in the screws into the 'well-nuts', then (one-at-a-time) remove a nut and replace it w/ the LARGE plastic one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.