Hi from the "Land Down Under" - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Member's Lounge > Member Introductions

 

Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-11-2010, 10:36 PM
wozzamatta's Avatar
wozzamatta wozzamatta is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8
Default Hi from the "Land Down Under"

Hi, I'm another rider from Australia interested in a Versys.

Unfortunately the Versys isn't very popular in Australia, in fact I've never seen one being ridden on the streets despite the bike being sold here for 2 or 3 years.

So I've joined the forum to try and learn a bit about the 2010 Versys before buying. I currently ride a 2007 FJR1300 and a (soon to be traded) 2007 Hornet (Honda 919 in US).

Looks like there is some great info on this site
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-11-2010, 11:05 PM
bigaussie's Avatar
bigaussie bigaussie is offline
Member
 
2007 Kawasaki Versys
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 585
Default Welcome Mate

Hi

I am an Aussie now living in Beautiful BC

Although the bikes aren't as cheap as in the US they are more affordable than Oz.

I tried to get my best mate to buy a V, and he couldn't even find one at the dealership to sit on, let alone test ride.

in tracking one down

__________________
Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.


"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-11-2010, 11:15 PM
kiwi 41's Avatar
kiwi 41 kiwi 41 is offline
Member
 
2008 Kawasaki versys
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 44.24'S 171.15'E Timaru, NewZealand
Posts: 7,459
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Default

Welcome from across the ditch
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Fastoman's Avatar
Fastoman Fastoman is offline
Member
 
2009 Kawasaki Versysy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 4,601
Default

& on your search.

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-12-2010, 03:56 AM
wozzamatta's Avatar
wozzamatta wozzamatta is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
Hi
I am an Aussie now living in Beautiful BC
Although the bikes aren't as cheap as in the US they are more affordable than Oz.
I tried to get my best mate to buy a V, and he couldn't even find one at the dealership to sit on, let alone test ride.
in tracking one down
Hi bigaussie, no problem tracking down a Versys as the local stealer had 2 on the floor a month ago, its just that I have never seen one actually being ridden.

I'm in Melbourne so on road costs a bit cheaper than other states but a Versys will still cost me $12,892 on road which sucks when you can see that our A$ almost equals a US$ at the moment (US$1=A98cents).

Be gentle with the locals mate
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-12-2010, 07:11 AM
Tex Vs Tex Vs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Houston, 3rd Rock
Posts: 493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozzamatta View Post
I'm in Melbourne so on road costs a bit cheaper than other states but a Versys will still cost me $12,892 on road which sucks when you can see that our A$ almost equals a US$ at the moment (US$1=A98cents).
Howdy from TX

Have you looked into importing one yourself. You can buy a nice one in the USA for $6000 or less. That would leave you about $6892 to cover shipping and import duties or whatever fees might be imposed. Oh, here I go thinking outloud again - just a thought.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Ivan V's Avatar
Ivan V Ivan V is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Balkan
Posts: 870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozzamatta View Post
Hi bigaussie, no problem tracking down a Versys as the local stealer had 2 on the floor a month ago, its just that I have never seen one actually being ridden.

I'm in Melbourne so on road costs a bit cheaper than other states but a Versys will still cost me $12,892 on road which sucks when you can see that our A$ almost equals a US$ at the moment (US$1=A98cents).

Be gentle with the locals mate


What is the reasoning behind such high prices? Is it the bikes or cars as well?
Here, on the opposite side of the planet, we have 5% customs tax and 17% VAT.
Versys is about 6-6500euro.
There are some insane countries in EU (Denmark comes to mind) where any regular bike costs 20-30,000 euro.


Good luck with the Versys.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-12-2010, 08:22 AM
DrTizz's Avatar
DrTizz DrTizz is offline
Member
 
2010 Kawasaki Versys
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 318
Send a message via Yahoo to DrTizz Send a message via Skype™ to DrTizz
Default

__________________
<><><><><><><><>
2010 Versys ("Black Bengal")
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is an opinion...that means you, CNN!"

Motorcycle Sport Touring Association
Chaparral Riders



Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Thumper's Avatar
Thumper Thumper is offline
Member
 
2010 Kawasaki Versys
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 732
Default

I traded an 06/FJR1300 in on a 2010 Versys. I had 80k on the FJR, so was looking for something different.
I'm loving the Versys touring capability. I did change the seat and added some Caribou luggage to make it road worthy for me. Other than that just some cosmetic changes. Handles fantastic and I am not missing the power like I thought I would.
I do have a 99/Bandit 1200 that is tricked out for the times I want some speed but find myself not riding it much with the Versys in the garage ready to go.
In a sea of Lemmings, I own the Woodchuck.
__________________
"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562
http://www.youtube.com/user/Thump52
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Jehos's Avatar
Jehos Jehos is offline
Member
 
2009 Kawasaki Versys
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozzamatta View Post
Unfortunately the Versys isn't very popular in Australia, in fact I've never seen one being ridden on the streets despite the bike being sold here for 2 or 3 years.
You never know. I'd never seen one being ridden here in TX, then last weekend I met 4 guys on them at the local dealership, and they met up with more locals for some tasty BBQ lunch. I think Versys owners are just stealthy.
__________________
I'd rather be riding.
2005 Triumph Speed Triple | 2009 Blue Versys
1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 ZX6R (sold) | 2008 Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki M50 (sold) | 2006 Ninja 500 (sold)

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Bear on a bicycle's Avatar
Bear on a bicycle Bear on a bicycle is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Converse, Tx
Posts: 4,906
Default

Welcome aboard!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Mursili's Avatar
Mursili Mursili is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Alamos, NM
Posts: 523
Default

As I rode back from the dealership in Santa Fe just after I purchased my Versys over two years ago, I stopped at a traffic light and another Versys passed going the other way. I have not seen one being ridden since.

Sure I am told that there is at least another one in town. I have even spoken to its rider. I just have never seen another one being ridden.

I doesn't help that the nearest dealership is 40 miles away.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Element's Avatar
Element Element is offline
Member
 
2008 Kawasaki Versys
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 2,297
Default

Welcome! The Versys is just not a bike for show, I think it's more of a riders machine. You have to get off the beaten track to find them, usually in the twisties. I like the fact that they are unusual, and always draw attention wherever I go. Good luck and hope you find one.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Boogs Boogs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fremantle, W.A
Posts: 51
Default

G'day,
Im seeing a few more on the streets here in perth lately, better late than never
Does sound pricey, bought mine new in 2009 for just over $9000.
Still loving the bike, but man , u definately need twin Ixil pipes
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-12-2010, 09:21 PM
kiwi 41's Avatar
kiwi 41 kiwi 41 is offline
Member
 
2008 Kawasaki versys
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 44.24'S 171.15'E Timaru, NewZealand
Posts: 7,459
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Default

In bikerider mag price listed for versys in NZ nov 08 was $11995 and early 09 they went up to $15,595 that was a massive $3500 jump. In our current exchange rate At $11995 NZ would be around $8600 US but the new price means $11,200 US so we getting ripped off so you guys in the states may not always get the best colors or ABS but you get them a lot cheaper than us colonies do
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-13-2010, 04:07 AM
wozzamatta's Avatar
wozzamatta wozzamatta is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8
Default

Hi Kiwi14, I probably should clarify our Oz price of A$12,892 a little better.

That is an "on road price" which adds around a A$1,000 to the price (state registration, compulsory 3rd party insurance and state stamp duty).

In addition it is the ABS model which usually adds between $600 - $1,000 to the price, we can only get the ABS model here.

You guys in Unzud (New Zealand) are sure having a hard time with your NZ$, I think it was only about a year ago and it was worth more than the A$ now it seems to going south rapidly.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-13-2010, 04:12 AM
kiwi 41's Avatar
kiwi 41 kiwi 41 is offline
Member
 
2008 Kawasaki versys
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 44.24'S 171.15'E Timaru, NewZealand
Posts: 7,459
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Default

The yellow ABS version is $16,795 the non ABS black is $14,995 NZ
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-13-2010, 04:13 AM
wozzamatta's Avatar
wozzamatta wozzamatta is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I traded an 06/FJR1300 in on a 2010 Versys. I had 80k on the FJR, so was looking for something different.
I'm loving the Versys touring capability. I did change the seat and added some Caribou luggage to make it road worthy for me. Other than that just some cosmetic changes. Handles fantastic and I am not missing the power like I thought I would.
I do have a 99/Bandit 1200 that is tricked out for the times I want some speed but find myself not riding it much with the Versys in the garage ready to go.
In a sea of Lemmings, I own the Woodchuck.
Always seems to be the case when I have 2 bikes, one bike always ends up a favourite and gets ridden most of the time and the other bike just sits in the garage.

Its a problem I like to have though

BTW there are some neat smilies on this site
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-13-2010, 04:22 AM
kiwi 41's Avatar
kiwi 41 kiwi 41 is offline
Member
 
2008 Kawasaki versys
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 44.24'S 171.15'E Timaru, NewZealand
Posts: 7,459
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozzamatta View Post
Hi Kiwi14, I probably should clarify our Oz price of A$12,892 a little better.


You guys in Unzud (New Zealand) are sure having a hard time with your NZ$, I think it was only about a year ago and it was worth more than the A$ now it seems to going south rapidly.
Yep last couple times i was in Aust it was about 90cents to your dollar now its in the seventies but sure good for the outfit i work for Fonterra as exporters love that.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-30-2012, 01:33 AM
mpj77 mpj77 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozzamatta View Post
Hi, I'm another rider from Australia interested in a Versys.

Unfortunately the Versys isn't very popular in Australia, in fact I've never seen one being ridden on the streets despite the bike being sold here for 2 or 3 years.

So I've joined the forum to try and learn a bit about the 2010 Versys before buying. I currently ride a 2007 FJR1300 and a (soon to be traded) 2007 Hornet (Honda 919 in US).

Looks like there is some great info on this site
Well guys I joined for the same reason you did mate. I'm keen on buying a Versys myself for the commute into town (Melbourne City) but cannot seem to locate a dealer willing / or that has one in stock to try beofre I buy. Im not keen on parting with my cash if I dont like.

How did you go yourself with locating one?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisements
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum