New Rear Rack Option - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Modifications - Cosmetic

Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

Old 10-07-2010, 12:50 AM

Default New Rear Rack Option

I wanted to get some honest feedback on this rear rack. I am an engineer and designed the rack. It is very heavy duty and strong and will support as much weight as the subframe can bear. Made from 3/16 and 1/4 steel. The rear plate is about 10 x 7 Inches. Powder coat finish. This will mount up in 10 minutes. Let me know your thoughts as far as looks and what you would pay for this. Any and all feedback is welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 12:56 AM

2009 Kawasaki Versysy

Awesome and well done.

look fine to me and what's the cost for a unit and doest it allow easy fitting of back case from any make.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:26 AM

Look's great!!!
Before you become famous, let me be the first to say that I'm available for a long term test and evaluation of the product. Just trying to do my part for the Versys community!

Price-
Cost of steel.........=
Cost to powdercoat=
Labor x $ involved..=
Profit....................=

I think it looks better than any other on the market and appears stronger. I was surprised by the lack of rack options for the Versys. I believe you have a winner!

Last edited by Stazjemo; 10-07-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:58 AM

2009 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys

Gorgeous!!!!!
Fits the styling of our bike to a TEE!
Nice piece of work.

Wouldn't fathom a guess on pricing but would certainly consider buying one.
What is the cost of existing products out there?

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
Old 10-07-2010, 05:11 AM

I've been rear rack shopping, ordered the Givi, just waiting for it to show up (this week?) If yours was on the market, I'd have bought it. Hands down, looks awesome.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:19 AM

I think it looks good. I wonder though, have you checked for fitment with all types of case mounts? Reason I'm asking is I just installed the SW Motech rack and mounts for a pelican case. Directions absolutely sucked, but the finished product turned out great. Is there flex enough in the arms to allow for some errant welds/mounting point placement on the subframe? Only other detail I would look at is rear passenger contact. Are those machined edges going to be uncomfortable to sit on/ contact with the soft bits? I think it's a great looking piece, looks to be well made, and it's USA fabbed as well. Good job!

Rider of all things 2 wheeled
Old 10-07-2010, 05:51 AM

Pretty, but looks damn heavy. What does it weight? ditto above about uncomfortable for passenger grab rail.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:05 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber

Looks nice, how heavy is it?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:09 AM

For those times when I have a pillion on board it wouldn't work for me, but that's a great looking piece. Nicely executed. What if you had a slip-on or quick bolt-on passenger grip/cover as an option?

Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Reading Material: motobones.com
Old 10-07-2010, 06:09 AM

Very good looking rack. My concern would be if it fits with side luggage racks such as Givi and other.
I would be buyer and as far as price, you need to look at cost and selling price of products out there.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:22 AM

I like it and would most likely get it if it work with my racks & E21's

For me, the grab handles are not a big deal as I don't carry a passenger on this bike, but could see where those edges could be a problem for thoise who grab the handles. Also, can't really tell from the picture, however those edges might dig in to passengers thighs, if they had some extra junk in the trunk

Really like the design though as I have been wanting something simple to add a small box or strap a backpack too, instead of bungee cords & my seat.

David
Old 10-07-2010, 06:23 AM

2008 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys Blue/Silver

Well made and Well done! Looks good.

See the holes are meant for weight savings.

Could be incorporated with SW Motech base plate, one could use it with a topcase, Removed the base plate and it becomes a rack.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/168

Ride safe,
Old 10-07-2010, 06:25 AM

2008 Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys Blue/Silver

Welcome to the Forum!

Ride safe,
Old 10-07-2010, 06:50 AM

Looks really good. I like the many holes which would be great attaching points for straps, cargo nets and baling twine. Maybe a split thin walled rolled tube across the grab handles? I would buy if priced competitive to other racks.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:52 AM

Looks awesome
Love the desing and integration on the bike

But, how about aluminum instead of steel (I don't pretend to have a better point of view thant you, but maybe it is worth it)
Black anodized (or is powder coating available for Al ?)

Your's material seems very very strong, I wonder if it needs to be that strong (= + weight)
And putting a lot of weight behind the bike sure will affect the bike dynamic (maybe not a lot but ...)

Price ...
I would pay a reasonable price, competitive with other similar product

Again very nice design and execution +1

LOP
Old 10-07-2010, 09:16 AM

Looks very sharp!

As for cost, I'd say you'd have to be able to beat the competition significantly to sell many units.
Here's why:
The competition has an established reputation and typically warantees their product. You can usually find ride numerous reports about these racks so they are a known quantity.
The competition has known compatibility with side luggage racks. Many, if not most, top case buyers will also want side cases. They also let you know what needs to be done to mount the various brands of cases to their racks.
At least some of the competition has aluminum racks available, and weight of components is a significant factor among owners of sub 400# bikes.

That said, I am interested. If you can make an integrated rack system that has a competitive weight, looks as sharp, and that would allow me to fairly easily mount sidecases and a topbox for under $300 shipped I'd probably purchase one. Especially if you could make one designed for people that don't carry passengers and therefore could move the mass to a more centralized location. (and eliminate the need for signal relocation or additional brake light)
I'm thinking it would be hard to meet that price and still cover production costs, much less make much of a profit. More than that though, and SW Motech, Happy Trails, or Givi look like better/safer purchases.
For the top rack alone, you could probably find a few buyers at $75-$125.

http://ctoons124.blogspot.com/

Old 10-07-2010, 11:18 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the quick responses, I appreciate the positive critiquing and ideas. The current weight is 6 lbs 4 oz. I can make an aluminum version if the feedback here was such. Maybe both options? I am just trying to consider pricing. I would guess an aluminum version would cost 175 or so. I would also like to make the adapter plate for SW fit so if anyone can send me the bolt pattern dimensions I will change the top up to allow for that plate to bolt on. I would like to consider other luggage as well so if anyone with Pelican or any other requirement chimes in that would be great. As far as the side racks go, I am also working on my versions of those. Again, any input on features that would be nice that don't currently exist are really appreciated. As far as the side supports, all the edges have been broken or polished off and I had a friend comment on how easy it was to grab the handles/rails. Perhaps they could be plastic coated though. They do sit a little lower than the stock hand rails but I really never intended to have any passengers ride. I will be making a small run of these when I get all the additional changes from this forum incorpertated. Again, please let me know any more ideas, changes and input, this forum is great, thanks again!
Old 10-07-2010, 11:28 AM

When I get home tonight I'll try to remember to pull my sw plate and scan it with measurements. Pop me off a PM with your email addy so I can send that to you.

The only other input I could give you is to mod the handles a bit to support a passenger, even better yet a passenger with a littlt "junk in the trunk". Even at $200 that rack is a good deal, and even better if it's aluminum at that price.

Last edited by alex182; 10-07-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:01 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Looks very nice, my concern would be if you have an accident and the bike hit you, looks like it would cut you in halve.
Nice job though.

Last edited by Nytrydr; 10-07-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Looks great!! And welcome aboard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement