Gear Indicator ? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > Technical Discussion

Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Old 08-30-2010, 10:54 PM

Post Gear Indicator ?

As a newbie, I was wondering if people purchase electronic gear indicators for their Versys? If so, what kind and how much? Or is this just for newbies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2010, 12:13 AM

I have the GI Pro indicator. I like not always trying to shift into 7th on the highway. Also it is nice to know how many gears I need to downshift for a particular turn.

Here is a link to my installation.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ight=indicator
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Old 08-31-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
As a newbie, I was wondering if people purchase electronic gear indicators for their Versys? If so, what kind and how much? Or is this just for newbies?
You don't need one. Ride some more, get familiar with the bike - where it has power and where it purrs - and match yer gear to yer need.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:55 AM

Uh, yeah. A noob thing.
Once you get a couple'a thousand miles on 'er you'll know what gear you're in based on speed and rpm. That's why the freakin' tach is so big. Keep 'er revving and you won't run out of gears. The loafers put 16T counters on and look for 7th gear.
Let it sing.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:13 AM

2007 Kawasaki Versys

I am a Nooby, but a numerate one, so have worked out the speedo speed to tacho ratios that work for me.

What follows is metric, but I see you are in Manitoba, so should apply to you (unless you keep your speed in Imperial)

In 1st, the revs are greater than the kph

In 2nd they are about the same (e.g. 4,000 rpm = approx 40 kph)

In 3rd, the speed is 1.5 times the revs (e.g. 4,000 rpm = approx 60 kph)

In 4th, a bit more

In 5th it is 2x (e.g. 4,000 rpm = approx 80 kph)

In 6th a bit more ( and yes, I sometimes try and change into 7th)

I know this won't work for everybody, but it does for me.

"The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
Old 08-31-2010, 01:31 AM

I am also a noob. My memory aid goes like:
3-4-36 (third gear at 4k rpm is 36 mph)
4-4-42 (fourth gear at 4k rpm is 42 mph)
5-4-50 (fifth gear at 4k rpm is 50 mph)

By just knowing something near the middle of the range like this, you can regain your own mental "count". I still try for 7th sometimes. Riding harder in curves for a while, i ride higher in the rev range anyway, lose all track of which gear im in, and it only becomes an issue when downshifting back into a stop. Typically, i can hit close to one of my known combinations as i downshift and get my count back.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:10 AM

I'm no newbie i have one and find it comes in quite handy. Most people don't get one because they can't justify the price or are just to cheap phrase it how you like.I feel mine was well worth it. If you feel one will be good for you get it. Heres a link below.

[url]http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GPDS-K01&Category_Code=versys_650[/url

Last edited by weljo2001; 08-31-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:24 AM

2008 Kawasaki versys
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I'm no newbie i have one and find it comes in quite handy. Most people don't get one because they can't justify the price. I feel mine was well worth it. Heres a link below.

http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/...ode=versys_650
Can't justify the price because I am scottish by decent and go by rev counter in 6th and mostly avoid the phantom 7th gear.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
As a newbie, I was wondering if people purchase electronic gear indicators for their Versys? ...

The Tach lets you know when to shift. If someone is looking at a `what gear am I in indicator’ to determine that, they’re not riding properly. IMO that device will just help to develop poor riding skills.

You’ll soon learn the relationship between 6th gear RPMs & speed and will stop looking for 7th

Old 08-31-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
>snip
Most people don't get one because they can't justify the price or are just too cheap...
That's it...the rest of us are just cheap bastids.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Uh, yeah. A noob thing.
Once you get a couple'a thousand miles on 'er you'll know what gear you're in based on speed and rpm. That's why the freakin' tach is so big. Keep 'er revving and you won't run out of gears. The loafers put 16T counters on and look for 7th gear.
Let it sing.
+1 to that. People have been riding motorcycles for over 100 years now without the need for these. I think it's the "need to farkle" that drives most of the installs and there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Can't justify the price because I am scottish by decent and go by rev counter in 6th and mostly avoid the phantom 7th gear.
"If it's not scottish, it's crap!"
Old 08-31-2010, 09:32 AM

Default 83 Magna

My old bike had one and I had the urge to add one to this bike, but since all my gear changes (current one is best to date!) I realized what was already said here... who cares what gear it is... just watch the tach...

At 70mph, I'm sitting at about 6100 rpms... awesome....

Buy crash bars or sliders instead of this.... MUCH better noob investment.. (trust me)
Old 08-31-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack425 View Post
Buy crash bars or sliders instead of this.... MUCH better noob investment..
Way to go! Now that ought to help build his self-confidence!

Last edited by Hardware; 08-31-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:30 AM

2009 Kawasaki Versysy

Use Acumen Gear indicator.
Plug and play.

Peace of mind during ride.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:40 AM

2008 Kawasaki versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post

The Tach lets you know when to shift. If someone is looking at a `what gear am I in indicator’ to determine that, they’re not riding properly. IMO that device will just help to develop poor riding skills.

You’ll soon learn the relationship between 6th gear RPMs & speed and will stop looking for 7th

In total agreement with what Hardware said above and there is a concern of mine that to many mod cons in the cockpit the versys pilot is not watching the road. When we did track days we had to cover over our speedo's/rev counter so we would focus on track, engne noise etc not stare at our instruments going into corners as we needed to train to look ahead to exit points. just my 2 cents worth
Old 08-31-2010, 11:06 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstratt View Post
" We have wee, not so wee.....and FRIGGIN HUGE!"

I guess I'm a cheap bastard....I can find better farkles for $150....
Old 08-31-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstratt View Post

Hey, I resemmble that remark.

Half Scotish here...Grandpa came from Scotland after the war, Dad was Canadian. Neither Grandma nor Mom were Scots, so I guess I'm only quarter Scotish.

Sure would like to tour the 'old country'.

BTW, there was a new company from Seattle at MotoGP at Laguna Seca this year selling 'utilikilts'. Yes, actual kilts, no plaid, in canvas and duck. I thought they were pretty cool. You would have to be a manly man to get away with wearing one. I liked 'em, keep thinking I should learn to play the pipes, but just couldn't quite bring myself to buy one. www.utilikilts.com Underwear optional, I guess.

Sorry for the thread-jack.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
That's it...the rest of us are just cheap bastids.

Glad we agree on something.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:07 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versysy

IMHO, unless you ride by pure hearing and your best judgement of the rev and not looking at the ref indicator it doest make any difference weather you have a Gear Indicator or Ref Indicator. Both need you to look, and I don't see how a gear indicator can make a person non confident in riding.

Technology allows us to live our life with a little bit of stress relief, so no harm done in using it, that is if you can afford it. Otherwise use your 5 senses or 6 for the matter.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:51 PM

2008 Kawasaki versys

Technology is great my friend but it is also good to develop skill with out it, at my work all boiler plants are computer controlled but a power flick or other major issue the automation cannot react fast enough to prevent a boilers crashing so if we can get it in time we take things out of auto control and run manually until things settle back down.

Technology is a great tool but it is good to be able to operate when it fails. A good example of this is going bush using GPS, if you run out of batteries or can't pick up satellite can you still use old fashioned maps/compass to keep you out of trouble. Sorry for being long winded but main point with gear indicator etc are we losing skills to listen to engine noise, correct revs etc, just my 2 cents that technology can make us lazy to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement