New Skidplate for Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance
Go Back   Kawasaki Versys Forum > Kawasaki Versys Motorcycle Talk > General Kawasaki Versys Discussions

General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Site Sponsor

Default New Skidplate for Versys

Hi Everyone,

This week, we verified that the SW-MOTECH skidplate designed for the 2010 Versys also fits the previous generation Kawasaki Versys. We want to send a special thanks out to our friend from North Kingstown who lent us his bike for testing.

This engine guard can be found at:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/5482/577 edit:updated link - it was broken - Sorry!

Ride Safe
Twisted Throttle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mss_08_712_10000_b_1.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	8088   Click image for larger version

Name:	mss_08_712_10000_b_2.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	8089   Click image for larger version

Name:	mss_08_712_10000_b_3.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	8090  

Last edited by twistedthrottle; 11-10-2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Link broken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 03:07 PM

Linky?

And is it not available?
Old 08-19-2010, 03:36 PM

Does this skid plate need for the plastic lowers to be removed?

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
40 years riding, 2 years MX racing
20 bikes owned over time, 3 MC shops worked at
Couldn't live without 2 wheels and a motor
Old 08-19-2010, 03:56 PM

Nice, but looks like it needs to be completely removed to change the oil (at least to not have a huge mess). Also what will the price be?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
Nice, but looks like it needs to be completely removed to change the oil (at least to not have a huge mess). Also what will the price be?
When added to the wish list, it gives the price of $219.99USD. From looking at the installation instructions it looks like you will have to remove it for oil changes.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:06 PM

I wonder if the universal aluminum box mounts to it?
Old 08-20-2010, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respen View Post
When added to the wish list, it gives the price of $219.99USD. From looking at the installation instructions it looks like you will have to remove it for oil changes.
I wrote them today after they posted on ADVR and they won't have them for over a month. They did not have a price.

Over $200 is a LOT, but seems like everything for these bikes is.

If there is no hole for the oil drain then a hole-saw will fix that. Probaby have to pull it off to get to the filter anyway.

They are showing it without plastic lowers. I'm guessing it works better without them, or maybe they don't fit back on once it's there. Either way, I'm cool with that.

Me like, want one NOW!
Old 08-20-2010, 02:31 AM

SW-Motech's (and others') skid plate doesn't go back that far. Access to oil drain bolt and muffler clamp is not affected... Made of 3 mm thick brushed aluminum with vibration dampened mounts and countersunk washers and screws, it's mounted to the weak lower plastic cover mounts, and also to front motor mount bolts with included extensions. It can't be installed along with the lower plastic covers.

Last edited by invader; 08-20-2010 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:54 AM

2009 Kawasaki Versysy

The coverage are is much less than the stock plastic cover, but only good thing , there is some cover in front and bottom.

A skid should have overall protection for front, side and bottom on the crankcase.

Just my 2cts thoughts.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:48 AM

I've been waiting for this. I sent an email to Twisted Throttle to find out when we can order one.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:36 PM

Looks pretty nice!

(The aluminum skid-plate I have on my KLR has a strip of "wear" marks about 2 inches wide down the plate vertically, from being 'shot-peened' by sand, dirt and gravel off my front tire, so this should be a help.)

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-20-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:25 PM

All I have gotten is the run-around from Twisted Throttle on this item. Cannot get a straight answer to save our lives.

Was told in August they would have them on or around September 27. Now we are at November 1 and they still don't have them and don't know when they'll get them. They claim they came in a month ago but now they're "trying to figure out the price". Can you imagine?

There must be a problem with the item or the shipment but they won't give up the real story. Very disappointing.

Why would you come on a user forum and say you have a new product for our bikes and then never offer them for sale? Sheesh!!

Now I'm not even sure I would buy one, or anything from them - they're starting to look like shady characters. And NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:40 PM

"Skid Plate" Looks OK for flying rocks. With the way its mounted, what would happen if you were to have full rider weight plus bike weight (650#) bottom out on a nice rock outcropping. Bikes without down tubes are disadvantaged in bottom protection.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:00 PM

That's the good thing about Happy Trails skid plate which bolts up to the frame... Versys can sit on it with both wheels off the ground all winter long.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:33 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Hummm Not sure about this one. To get full protection for your side-cases, water-pump, etc., etc. your still going to need to also have the crash bars and then there is the issue of removing it each time for oil changes. It looks good but $219.00 is a set of tires.$$$$$$ It also appears that the brackets that are use to mount the plate are pretty easy to bend so if you ever did really bash the thing on a rock it would collapse. I’m going to hold out and see what else pops up.

Last edited by douglasgraham; 11-08-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
All I have gotten is the run-around from Twisted Throttle on this item. Cannot get a straight answer to save our lives.

Was told in August they would have them on or around September 27. Now we are at November 1 and they still don't have them and don't know when they'll get them. They claim they came in a month ago but now they're "trying to figure out the price". Can you imagine?

There must be a problem with the item or the shipment but they won't give up the real story. Very disappointing.

Why would you come on a user forum and say you have a new product for our bikes and then never offer them for sale? Sheesh!!

Now I'm not even sure I would buy one, or anything from them - they're starting to look like shady characters. And NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!
Just went on the site, and looked at the skid plate. It says nothing about not being ready to ship. I put it in the cart and went all the way to the last part of checkout. Did not want to buy it so didnt choose to checkout.

The 1 problem I have had with a order from them, was handeled great, with them shipping me new parts.
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Old 11-01-2010, 07:47 PM

I've ordered from Twisted Throttle several times. Never a problem. Questions always answered correctly and professionally.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:57 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
I've ordered from Twisted Throttle several times. Never a problem. Questions always answered correctly and professionally.
Same here. They answered email inquiries quick and were specific with thier answers. Left no questions for me.The stuff does ship from Germany I believe.

Sorry to hear you are having a problem!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
Old 11-01-2010, 08:26 PM

2009 Kawasaki Versys

I received mine last week and put it on this weekend. I ordered it the last week in August and they told me from day one that it would be at least a month to 6 weeks. They order all the SW Motech stuff from Germany and it comes via container.

It is a very well made unit and I like the two tone. It makes the transition from black to silver as it leaves the motor and surrounds the muffler. Kind of blends in. It does require that you remove the plastic lowers and their mounting brackets. A earlier post indicated that you used the existing brackets. Not so. They have 3/16" or so plate supports that bolt to the motor frame in front and the through bolt in back. They are the same connection points that are used for the crash bars. Very strong with good rubber grommets to minimize vibes.

As far as the oil changes. I use a filter that has a nut on the end (K&N) so I think you could probably do it with it on. But, I don't think I will. I'd just undo 6 of the 8 bolts and let it swivel down on the other 2.

Pricey? Yeah. Quality and fit. Top notch.

I too have had good luck with Twisted Throttle. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

If anyone wants some specifics or measurements just let me know.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:08 AM

Can you take a picture a little farther away so we can see the bike as a whole?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement