Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

JIS screwdrivers

7K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  invader 
#1 · (Edited)
Japanese Industrial Standard screwdrivers...I was having my bike worked on by a very good local mechanic. During some chit chat..he said.."you want to know one of the best thongs you can do for working on your bike?" "of course..whatcha got?" "get some these" he said showing me his screwdriver "JIS..japanese industrial standard"...he went on to explain how those crazy guys in Japan slot their screwheads differently than us or european screws...stop stripping the slots on your phillips screws..get a good grip...
:cheers:

#2 ·
Japanese Industrial Standard screwdrivers...I was having my bike worked on by a very good local mechanic. During some chit chat..he said.."you want to know one of the best thongs you can do for working on your nike?" "of course..whatcha got?" "get some these" he said showing me his screwdriver "JIS..japanese industrial standard"...he went on to explain how those crazy guys in Japan slot their screwheads differently than us or european screws...stop stripping the slots on your phillips screws..get a good grip...
??? Thongs and Nike...???

If she is wearing a thong with some nike's I probably hit it with a good screw driver as well!!!!

:loveeyes:

#9 ·
Phillips are the worst screws possible. Robertson screws are used extensively in Canada, but the resistance to them when introduced to USA results in us being subjected to Phillips in most imported mechanical and electrical products.
A better alternative would be hex head, or torx. ABP (anything but Phillips)

#12 ·
Phillips arent terrible if you have good screw heads and good screw drivers. One or the other gets worn and you're screwed (pun intended).

There are some Phillips specifically designed to "cam-out" under torque and THOSE are truly the worst.

Anyway, yes, getting a good set of JIS screwdrivers will save you a lot of headaches on Japanese bikes, especially the bolts that seem to be made of swiss cheese.

#14 ·
I got my set of JIS screwdrivers last Tuesday...Went out and worked on the Suzuki the next day...WHAT A DIFFERENCE...There was this one..already bunged up..rusted screw that I could not previously get to move..I had given up...Came out like butter...You can definitely feel the screwdriver set firmly into the screw head...These things do not cost an arm and a leg..somewhere around 20 bucks for a set of 4..I got 6..lol...Do not bung up another screw on your bike...

#16 ·
Interesting, this from Vessel tools;

Why VESSEL's screwdrivers are not labeled “JIS”?

As you might know, VESSEL is the oldest screwdriver manufacturer in Japan, and made a contribution to set a Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) standard.

We do follow JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) standard for cross point screwdrivers. Because the technology to manufacture screwdrivers in Japan had already become above a certain level, JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) recognition system for screwdrivers became extinct in 2008.

So there is no authorized JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) manufacturer now, and we therefore cannot print "JIS" mark on our screwdrivers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.