Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Honda takes a direct shot at the Versys

14K views 42 replies 30 participants last post by  rponiarski 
#1 · (Edited)
Just found the Honda NC700XA on Honda's web site. Also see review. It looks like a direct competitor to the Versys with the same size and type of motor, similar ergos, same size tires, etc.. It even has a cool gas tank used for lockable storage. Actual gas fill hole is is under seat.

Engine Type Liquid-cooled parallel-twin
Displacement 670 cc
Bore & Stroke 73 x 80 mm
Compression Ratio 10.7:1
Valve Train Chain driven SOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Fuel Delivery PGM-FI electronic fuel injection
Transmission Six-speed
Final Drive O-ring sealed chain
Front Suspension 41mm telescopic fork; 153.5 mm (6 in.) travel
Rear Suspension Single shock, Pro-Link swingarm; 150 mm (5.9 in.) travel
Tires 120/70ZR - 17 radial front; 160/60ZR - 17 radial rear
Brakes Front 320 mm wave disc with triple-piston caliper; rear 240 mm wave disc with single-piston caliper. Combined Braking System with ABS
Ground Clearance n/a
Seat Height 830 mm (32.7 in.)
Wheelbase 1,540 mm (60.6 in.)
Curb Weight 218 kg (480 lb) including required fluids and full tank of gas - ready to ride
Fuel Capacity 14.1 litres

See less See more
1 1
#41 ·
Honda's DCT was fantastic on the VFR I rode at Honda's product launch. I read plenty of comments from people who dismiss DCT out of hand without ever riding it themselves. That's their loss.

FWIW, a DCT is not an automatic transmission. It's an electronically controlled dual-clutch manual transmission. There's automatic mode (regular or sport shift programs) where the bike chooses the gear. There's manual mode where the bike is in whatever gear you select. The forefinger and thumb shifters are fast, fun and shift more smoothly than I do on my best day.

F1 cars and top-end Porsches and Ferraris have ditched traditional manuals for DCTs and bikes are next.

I've previously posted a link to my blog entry about the VFR1200F-DCT but since the topic is being raised again in this thread, here is the link one more time. My $.02

#42 ·
From the Honda.ca website it looks like the only choice is manual transmission with ABS, at least for 2012 in Canada. I'm sure the scooter, when they bring it out will use the automatic. The problem is an extra $1000 for a DCT on an expensive bike like the VFR is not much, but on a ~$6000 to 7000 motorcycle it can be a lot of money.

#43 ·
Just saw it at the IMS show in New York. The Honda guy admitted it is basically for beginners and they are hoping the DCT will bring in a lot of newer riders. It is very low to the ground, has that wierd storage area in front of the rider (which the show bike had filled with a full face HJC helmet) and looked pretty nice. Lots of accessories coming as well, including bags and top case. Said it should be in dealers showrooms in May or June.

For its target market it is probably a pretty nice piece. Good for everyday riding, commuting and such. With its low overall power numbers and non-adjustable front suspension, I doubt it will be a threat to the V650. Still, it is an interesting concept. Let's see where they take it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.