Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

530 Chain conversion

20K views 62 replies 21 participants last post by  dddd 
#1 ·
Hi Everybody

Has anybody tried to put a 530 chain on their Versys?

#4 ·
Why change it? It's more than adequate to do the job. I suppose you could use a premium 520 chain that would be stronger.

My 155 hp. Ducati only uses a 525 chain, and those who race them often change to a 520 because it's lighter.

Reactions: Stoley
#8 ·
Well I ride every day. Whatever the weather and I've found that the 520 seems to wear pretty quick. So I need longevity.

Before you judge, know this. The weather here in Johannesburg goes from extreme thunderstorms to 30+ c weather.

Regarding the price, the difference this side of the world, is around R300. Around 40 USD. For chain and sprockets.

#9 ·
Well I ride every day. Whatever the weather and I've found that the 520 seems to wear pretty quick. So I need longevity.
My first chain went pretty quickly (~19000 km). After I replaced it, I installed an automatic oiler.

I was trying to clean and lube the old chain every week. Never done either on the new one. It's been about 16000km and it's fine. Didn't even adjust it until around 13000km. OTOH most of those first 13000km were dry-season, and that probably won't wear the chain as much.

I have the PD Oiler, and I'd recommend it, although I'm sure there are other good products as well.

#10 ·
Difference between a 530 and a 520 is the chain width between the inner plates of the chain.

Both chains measure 5/8 inches between pins but a width of a 520 is 1/4 inch and 530 3/8 inch. IMHO, best to stick with the oem spec. if need to upgrade is to get a X-Ring 520 chain. Agreed a scottoiler or a good chain oiler would prolong the chain life longer than not with one.

#11 · (Edited)
The original is an EK 520 MVXL1 (OEM type) X-ring chain. Mine was bad from the start and I finally replaced it at 2600 miles... My replacement DID 520VM (now 520 VX2) X-ring chain is absolutely excellent now with about 7000 miles on it so far.

You can do even better if you go with the top of the line from EK, DID, Tsubaki, Regina or RK... The strongest are EK 520 ZZZ, ZVX and MVXZ, but they're considerably heavier than DID 520 ZVM-X and VX2.

520 vs 530 http://www.superstreetbike.com/howt...n_conversion_increase_horsepower/viewall.html

EK 520 ZZZ & 520 ZVX http://www.ekchain.jp/product/extreme_sport.html

DID 520 ZVM-X http://www.didchain.com/streetChains.html

Tsubaki 520 Sigma XRG http://www.tsubaki-rider.com/index.php?type=product_guide&action=supersport

Regina 520 ZR http://www.reginachain.it/eng/products/production_range/scheda_zr.shtml

RK 520 GXW http://www.rkexcelamerica.com/street_rk_chain.html

#12 ·
The original is an EK 520 MVXL1 (OEM type) X-ring chain.
Mine was a DID 520. It went in about 15000km. But I mean it really went.

Truth is. I want a heavier chain to accommodate me learning to wheelie. I was just getting the hang of it, before the chain went.

I think I'm going to give it a shot. The price difference here is really not much. So even if it wears at the same rate, no big deal.

I'm very surprised that nobody has replaced their 520 with even a 525:interesting:

#18 ·
A 114 link EK 520 ZZZ is about 0.6 lbs heavier than most 520 chains.

"... if you want the absolute longest lasting steel chain kit you can get that would be with the EK ZZZ chain. We would only recommend the EK ZZZ chain with steel sprockets... "
Thanks Invader. I ain't counted mine yet - is 114 links stock for a 2013 ?

Thanks - saves me kneeling down and counting - my lift not here yet !!

#15 · (Edited)
My son Chad was a factory Kawasaki drag racer for three years, he ran the 600 Supersport class.

He and several others ran 9.60's on 520 chains, I gotta believe a good quality 520 like the ZZZ will handle anything a Versys will do.....including wheelies!

I'd be more concerned about the cush drive and clutch, I don't think the chain will be the weak link (pun intended).

Dan

#16 ·
My stock chain/sprockets got replaced this fall with 26,xxx on the odometer. I did not do the greatest job of maintenance either.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Motorcycle.com Free App

#17 ·
My original stock chain has over 17,000 miles (27,000 km) on it, and it's hardly worn at all. I've adjusted the axel out one hash mark from when it was new. I just lube with the blue Dupont Teflon Spray every 400 to 600 miles or so. I lube more often when I ride in the rain.

Do you do a lot of off road riding and get alot of grit on the chain? Do you adjust the chain tension per the manual?

#22 ·
Do you do a lot of off road riding and get alot of grit on the chain? Do you adjust the chain tension per the manual?
I dont do any off road, but I do get tons of grit. There is always some grit on the road. Yes I did adjust the chain often, often asked Kawasaki multiple times about the wear. Their response was that with all crap on the road, the chain would go faster. Also the service manager told me that wheelies will eat the chain very quickly, especially if I was still learning to do them.

#21 ·
My chain was shot after my 7000 mile ride this summer. Total miles were 15500. I lubed it most every night, but did run a lot of high speeds for long distances. Most of the O rings were missing when I got home from the trip.

My neighbor was going through chains fast on his KLR 650 so he put this huge looking chain and sprockets on his bike. Says it is lasting much longer with no stretch. The KLR has 28,000 miles on it now.

#23 ·
Ok so I got the 530 chain. I specifically got an o-ring chain (brand is RK) Not a special gold one, but really a stock standard RK chain. They are pretty good in general. But I got a "normal" chain just to see what the wear is like.

The chain fits nicely, but we did remove the inside washer on the front sprocket. Everything was checked properly, including the missing washer. I have started learning wheelies again, and have noticed no wear at all. Also the chain seems to have less give if that makes sense.

BTW the 530 is bigger than I thought.

A not on the sprockets, I got really nice sprockets. Only the chain is "normal".

#26 ·
I hear everyone's advice and I have heard it before I made the change. I'm purely testing if a heavier chain does wear less. I specifically chose the normal o-ring chain, just to see if it wears less than my last o-ring chain (came with the bike).

I just really want to test the actual wear on the chain. Yes I understand that it is a "crappy" o-ring chain. But that's the point. I want to test if a beefier chain lasts longer, under the same conditions. If it does not, then I'm going to go back to a 520 (x-ring).

Regarding "The loss in performance". It is not noticeable. It's not a drag bike so I dont have to squeeze every last little millisecond out of it. I'm more interested in wear.

#27 ·
...I'm purely testing if a heavier chain does wear less. I specifically chose the normal o-ring chain, just to see if it wears less than my last o-ring chain (came with the bike)...

I would be interested to hear what your conclusions are at the end of your test. It can never hurt to have more data. Knowing what doesn't work is just as important as what does work. We may be able to apply this knowlege (or at least this one data point) to other cases, such as, what is a good chain to buy, in general. :cool:

#28 ·
Synthetic Darkness,
I had some input about why you should stick with a 520 chain and so did a lot of other folks and after everyone agreed you went ahead with a 530.
I think we were just trying to save you some money on an unusual move.

Before ribbing you, I realized what your post asked.....Has anybody tried to put a 530 chain on a Versys". You never asked if it was a good idea or the right thing to do.
I apologize for not just answering your question and immediately giving you advice.

I agree with Trialsguy so keep us posted on your results.

Ride safe,
Dan

#31 ·
Thanks to trialsguy, oldkawboy (No worries I understand, I'd have done the same) and BLACK DOG. It's all about knowing. If nobody ever wanted to explore, we'd all still be sitting inside the cave.

I'm very amazed that nobody has tried getting a bigger chain. I searched the internet for about a month before converting and very few people have ever gone bigger. Everyone harps on about getting more performance by going smaller, but I've only seen one or two actual dyno tests. The drop in power was about 1-2 hp. Let's be honest, something you will never notice.

My point is this. Riding your bike (including wheelies). "Pulls" the chain. Therefore my thinking is that if you have a chain that can take more "pull" surely it will last longer. Don't get me wrong, a really well maintained chain might last longer. But have you tested this? What about a beefier chain that is well maintained?

#33 · (Edited)
...My point is this. Riding your bike (including wheelies). "Pulls" the chain. Therefore my thinking is that if you have a chain that can take more "pull" surely it will last longer. Don't get me wrong, a really well maintained chain might last longer. But have you tested this? What about a beefier chain that is well maintained?
Guess MAYBE I have tested this - the ORIGINAL chain on my '08 (BIG RED) now has JUST SHY of 40,000 miles on it, and has ONLY been 'lubed' with WD40, at regular intervals (ie - after a 50 mile or more run I spray it, spin the wheel, then wipe it down with a rag, or at the end of the day on long rides, while it's still hot). I keep records, and I've adjusted it a TOTAL of 16 'flats' - as the adjusters are hex-headed, that comes to TWO AND A THIRD turns (6 flats = one turn) - in that 40,000 miles. Replaced the countershaft sprocket at 29,642 miles, then 'reversed' the rear at 31,792 miles. Quite a bit of those miles are on dirt roads, but it is always garaged except when I'm off on a 'trek'..., and I buy my WD40 in gallons.
:clap:

I had an '04 KLR650 that I put aprox. 54,000 kms on (on WD40) before I changed out the chain on my last Alaska adventure, in Whitehorse, as I'd adjusted it the night before in Watson Lake and neglected to re-check tension after tightening the axle nut. My BAD - it was over-tight and started 'spitting' rollers by the time I noticed, TOO LATE, in Teslin. I loosened it there, then 'limped' into Whitehorse where I changed it while my riding buddy relaxed in the hot springs! (That came to 33,480 miles.)
:clap:

My Canadian '09 V has around 20 to 25,000 kms on its original chain, AGAIN on WD40 only. You might notice that I don't see the need for a 530....
:cool:

#32 ·
The only plus I can see with a 530 chain is that the sprockets MIGHT wear less. For a bike that makes 60 hp on a good day, a 520 is more than adequate, considering that it's currently used without problems on 150 hp+ motorcycles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.