Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Versys / Ninja 650 motor now in a Vulcan...

13K views 77 replies 28 participants last post by  HercEngKody 
#1 ·
#41 ·
Pics please. I wanna see that. :interesting:
And agreed not everything needs to make sense. Some things just are. It's like when some people say "why do you NEED a motorcycle?" My response is if you have to ask you have no idea. kinda the same thing. If I had the money I would have all kinds of bikes and cars.

#45 ·
Lol knew I'd get some bites. Yeah well I have ridden quite a few cruisers and NONE of them handle, very few lean and almost all have forward controls. Not only are they ugly IMO most of them are unreliable (you know what brand I am looking at) and offence-ably loud. If I ever get to old for the Versys I'll get a 650 scooter before a cruiser.
And that is my opinion.

#46 ·
It sounds like when you think or cruiser, you only think of Harley. There have been 'cruiser' riding position bikes made with parallel twins, triples, V4, inline 4, and even v8 engines. The Vmax, the Rocket, and the diavel come to mind. The Kawasaki Eliminator 900 was a cruiser variant of the GPZ900. To each there own.

#48 ·
I had a 2010 Harley 48 and I have to say it handled great until you hit the pegs. It was light short and punchy. The CG was so low that you had confidence going into corners even really slow. It was quick and looked mean, but it was an entry level Harley and the monthly payments were twice of that of my Versys. If I could've I would have loved to keep both.
This discussion is why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors of ice cream. If there is one you don't like then keep looking, but it doesn't mean you need to chastise other people for liking what you don't.

#49 · (Edited)
I repaired and drove a HD Sportster 883 this past summer. I drove it enough that I can be absolutely certain it has no good qualities as a motorcycle. It does look nice while parked though. It has virtually no suspension travel, no power, poor brakes, is uncomfortable to ride, handles like a tractor and is hard to start (carb version). I'm convinced the only people who buy Sportsters are those that would only consider buying HD but can't afford one of their bigger bikes. More open minded buyers will prefer the Vulcan or Bolt.

#51 ·
I think the 883 is extremely underpowered and would agree, but the 1200 I had was a rocket. I put a fair amount of work into that bike, and it was put on the dyno and had 80 hp and 80 ftlb tq. it was fuel injected so starting wasn't an issue, and I had a fuel gauge added. (only downfall of the 48 due to the 2 gallon tank). I had a bunch of other farkels on there V&H pipes, screaming eagle fuel mapper, joker intake etc... It was cool to ride because it was so small, low, and fast and in my eyes a very cool bike. Comparing an old 883 sportster to a new 1200 sportster is comparing apples to bananas. So grouping "Sportsters" and saying they are all the same is narrow minded to me. But hey Harleys aren't for everyone. By the way... My open mindedness steered me to the Versys didn't it?

#50 ·
Bottom line IMO, this is a cruiser for small people and women. It is a cool bike but to me ANY bike with forward controls be they floorboard or pegs is off my list as we use our legs as a shock absorber to cushion our backs.
And not to turn this thread into an HD hater session, I generally can't stand the mentality of most costumed cruiser riders.

#59 ·
I couldn't see my tiny wife or daughters on big, heavy cruisers. I think this vulcan is about as big as would be reasonable for them. I'm not a fan of heavy bikes myself and really would like if my versys could lose some weight.

My wife did use a cruiser when she took her riding class and got her license, Honda Rebel 250. A GW250 is way too tall for my wife or daughters to ride. However, I have tried selling the notion of buying a grom to my wife. I think she sees through my ploy (I would be out playing on it myself).

#60 · (Edited)
The funny thing about the police bike video is that is spectacular riding just because it is a difficult to handle, 1000lb, long wheelbase HD Electroglide - the antithesis of an agile motorcycle. If it was a Versys we would all shrug our shoulders because we could all ride that course as fast or faster on a Versys with very low effort.

#61 ·
The funny thing about the police bike video is that is spectacular riding just because it is a difficult to handle, 1000lb, long wheelbase HD Electroglide - the antithesis of an agile motorcycle.
Based only on your preconceived notions of what makes a bike handle.

If it was a Versys we would all shrug our shoulders because we could all ride that course as fast or faster on a Versys with very low effort.
No. Actually, I would be blown away to see a high center of gravity bike handle at low speeds that well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q9yxqhxYKs

This post has been deleted
#67 ·
I had a buddy i use to ride with thats had a Road King for 20+ years. I couldn't hang with him in the corners with the Versys or the FJR. The guys i ride with that have Harley ride the crap out of them. I'm not a Harley Fan "or any cruiser" but the folks i know that have them love them. With my hip and knees they are just all wrong for me.

#72 ·
I get out of the way when any biker comes up behind me splitting lanes. Most don't get too far ahead of me afterwards, but the Harley guys are gone! They lean back and wave swerving from side to side. They do haul ass! Most are young too. I just don't see how they make it except for their louder than loud engines giving them a little extra room (drivers may think they are cops??) I hope the best for every one of them. At least they have more momentum with small aluminum cars than most motorcycles, so they may do better in wrecks.

#74 ·
Indicated RPM at 60 MPH: 4,500

Retuned to boost low-end and midrange, the powerplant delivers broad-shouldered torque from 3,000 rpm past eight grand, and a power peak just shy of 55 horsepower at 7,100 revs with no dips along the way. Two new overhead camshafts, reworked intake tracts, more flywheel mass and new EFI and ignition mapping generate user-friendly characteristics. Taking off from a start is easy but the engine doesn’t really like to work below 3,000 rpm, and low-speed driveline lash is a minor annoyance. So just keep the revs up. The engine zings right up to its 9,500-rpm redline while spinning with uncanny smoothness. At freeway speeds and higher, the Vulcan S keeps pulling well and stays delightfully smooth with barely a trace of vibration. Credit the engine counterbalancer and rubber engine mounts, which work in concert with the rubber-isolated handlebar and footpegs.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/top-stories/2015-kawasaki-vulcan-s-road-test-review.htm/

#78 · (Edited)
If nobody has mentioned it yet, they're basically revamping the same method used for the Vulcan 500. Slap the Ninja engine into a small cruiser frame. I had one of those for a little over a year, rode the hell out of it and put over 17,000 miles on it. Good little bike. Nice to see it getting an update, hopefully this one will have more aftermarket support than my 2003 did, I couldn't find diddly for it that wasn't marketed as universal fit. The picture of mine is when it was still sitting at the pawn shop where I found it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.