Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Oil Brand

20K views 97 replies 52 participants last post by  Smiley 
#1 ·
Just bought a 08' Red Versys and want to change oil, what brand and weight of oil are you guys using? I heard Rotella T synthetic 5w-40 is really good. And help would be great. Thanks-Robert

#2 ·
Congrats on the new V from a fellow red rider! Right now I am using Amsoil, but I think next change is going to be the Rotella T synthetic. I change every 5K miles and the Amsoil is $$$. Read good things about Rotella. Search around, enough oil threads to really confuse you! I think the answer is "Just do it!" Ride safe!

#4 ·
I have used Rotella T with great luck. $19 for a gallon at Wal-Mart. The gallon is kind of a pain because the bike typically takes 2.1-2.3 liters, so I always have an open jug in the garage.

I use the PureOne oversized car filter also. About $6 at my local Fleet Farm. Forget the part number, but if you need it I can go look it up.

#9 ·
I've been using Amsoil 10-40, but will switch to Mobil-1 next change, as Amsoil has gotten very expensive!

#12 ·
Where do you get your Amsoil from? I save over 20% off US prices with the promo code from: http://www.woodsbrosracing.com/amsoil-online-store.htm

It's at my door in a couple days for over 40% less than from Canadian Tire. For a case of 12 'AFF' 0W-40, it comes to $8.61 usd per quart, including taxes and shipping to BC or Ontario. ($9.27 usd for 'MCF' 10W-40)
Mobil 1's Racing 4T 10W-40 goes for $15 per liter including taxes at Wal Mart (Canada).

#10 ·
I use fish oil from the local Japanese restaurants. The stuff they dump mid week meets JASO MA (it is a Japanese restaurant after all) and is environmentally friendly. Don't go to restaurants that use MSG, though, not good for the bike and the exhaust smells funny.

:D

Gustavo

PS - Before you guys start complaining, yes, this is now the standard answer to "what oil" questions... :devil:

#14 ·
Amsoil makes a synthetic that is specifically designed for engines that have a crank case that shares the oil with the transmission and have a wet clutch. Their website has some pretty persuasive info. I use it in my street and dirt bikes. If it wasn't so expensive, I would likely use it in my cars too.

#20 ·
Is it possible to mix different oils? On my second oil change I went with the Kawasaki blend. However these things come in the 1 gallon jug and as such I have less than half leftover for my next change.
Will it be ok to use that blend and top it up with a full synthetic on the next change?

#29 · (Edited)
My local Wal-Mart sells the Mobil 1 Racing 4T synthetic for just over $8/qt. That's what I've run in the past, and what I plan on switching to @ 3000mi.

Edit: Read the "stickied" oil thread and the new T6 Rotella synth conforming to JASO spec. Might give that a try, depending on which is cheaper ;-)

#31 · (Edited)
OUCH (!!!) on that filter price, the oil seems reasonable though. I'm a believer of running conventional for at least the first 2000mi of motorcycle service. Got's to let everything wear-in a bit.

What I've done with my superbikes in the past (granted, they turn bazillions or RPMs) is fill with a high quality conventional (like Motul 10w40) at 600mi, then synth at 2000mi on. For the Versys, since it turns relatively low RPMs, I plan on taking the 600mi fill until 3000mi just to stay synched up with the book.

#33 ·
I use OEM filters, Or the purolator motorcycle filters. I am lucky as both my machines run the same filter, so I need purchase only one type and thus , buy them in 6 packs , saving on shipping . I get them from Bikebandit for OEM and through the STN store for PURO..
I use 10w40 motorcycle oil made by Vavloline or Pennzoil. I would also consider running Rotella, Standard 15w40.

#35 ·
I use Mobil 1 15-50 and Rotella t Synthetic and mix 50/50.

The key is not what oil you use, just make sure it is changed regularly and is always up to proper levels.

I have yet to ever see a bike fail because of the wrong oil. There is a guy that has a Ninja 250 that has over 100k miles on it using Havoline 10w40.

Todd

#36 · (Edited by Moderator)
HMMMMM, do I or don't I????

First off to the guys that are thinking that the price of Amsoil is too much. Are you considering apples and apples.

Be sure to take into account the Extended Drain intervals. Which can be found HERE

from 7500 miles to 35000 miles and up to a year.

THIS is a little chart that I love to show. Based on 25000 miles.

And as far as the 20 to 35% discounts are concerned, if you do not want to go through the dealer that is paying to advertise on this site. And you do not believe you are going to spend enough to recoup your $10 for a six month preferred customer discount. I will see what the best route would be to take to get you set up as a Amsoil customer. Be sure to Mention the Versys forum some where in the contact form.

Have a Great Day!

Bob

#38 · (Edited)
First off to the guys that are thinking that the price of Amsoil is too much. Are you considering apples and apples.
Sorry Bob, I don't want to bust your chops, but here is my analysis of the Amsoil recommendations you posted.

Based on the PDF Amsoil publishes, they recommend a 15K mile (or one year) oil change interval for bikes. How many of the Amsoil using members here run 15K miles on their oil? I'm not saying it couldn't go 15K miles, but I don't get the feeling that even the Amsoil users are convinced they can run that long. So, is it apples to apples? If you do 15K miles per year, yes, maybe it could be cheaper than it seems. How many people ride 15k per year?

Same with this chart that compares costs:

It may be true for a commercial driver, or some one that covers lots of miles/year in their car. How many people ride 25K miles per year? I wish I did, but I don't. Obviously it's different for other people based on their circumstances. Heck, even our family car doesn't accumulate that kind of mileage per year. We have been averaging 10K/yr in the car. Based on the manufacturer's recommendation, to preserve the warranty, I change the oil every 5K miles. It wouldn't matter if I used Amsoil, because I have to show that the oil was changed every 5K miles for warranty purposes. But let's say that after the warranty expires I switch. Given that I only drive 10K miles a year, I need one Amsoil oil change or two generic ones. Using the numbers in the example above, two oil changes would cost $42 vs. $60 for the Amsoil one. Even if you fell into the American average of driving 12-15K/year, it's almost the same, but not cheaper. I will be the first one to say that it's not a significant difference, if you believe Amsoil gives you better protection, use it.

Sorry, but apples to apples, does not really save you money unless you drive a significantly higher mileage than average....

:cheers:

Gustavo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.