Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Oil Brand

20K views 97 replies 52 participants last post by  Smiley 
#1 ·
Just bought a 08' Red Versys and want to change oil, what brand and weight of oil are you guys using? I heard Rotella T synthetic 5w-40 is really good. And help would be great. Thanks-Robert

#82 ·
it's simple, if your the type that changes your oil every 1500 to 3000 then use what fits your wallet and meets all specs. If your going to fallow the manual to a T then use the expensive stuff. I live in Canada so year round riding is not an option, oil changes once a year on average. The manual says after 1000 to change at 12000 then 24000 km and so on...or once year witch ever comes first, and before putting to sleep for the winter.

#84 ·
It's OK to mix oil just don't get to out of the ball park. I have been using Castrol RS synthetic in my new Versys and Amsoil in my last Versys 10-40. All was well shifting clutch and no oil usage. Most major oils today are pretty good. If you take care of your bike it will take care of you. I have never had a problem in 49 years of riding from oils.
I did have my first blowout though ,yesterday on my KLX! Down shifted going uphill on the road and ripped the valve stem off. I just bought the bike and it didn't have rim locks. It will today
870Buz.

#85 ·
Anyone ever smelled the original oil that the factory put in the Versys,...mine looked normal, (when I changed it @ 300) but it smelled odd/strange, kinda like it had gasoline in it, but it looked perfectly normal; & the bike runs fine. I'll change it again @ 600, then go to 3K after that.

#86 ·
This is a real COW.

Heaven help us...another oil thread.

These bring all the characters out of the wood work.

Here is all you need to know about oil: It's wet and slippery...Lol.

What's a COW you say?

Can of Worms.

Honey have you seen my book??? What book? The great big one titled "The definitive book on oil"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.